Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And Ugbo is not really that impressive, regardless of the excitement around him. He has rather weak team play, he is not that versatile positionally, does not hold up from what I've seen, he's just there to lead the line and look for the final touch.

Now there are times we may need that type of player, since we have wing play getting to the end lines and neither David nor Larin are great at going head on for those tight assists from the wing. I can see Ugbo might have a limited role. IMO Cavallini gives us a bit more, that is all. Neither are premium strikers though.

If Ugbo is limited but playing well, and Cavallini can do more but effectively isn't, then I think the choice there is Ugbo.  This is Cavallini's spot to lose, and he seems to be doing his best to lose it. I agree that on paper I'd rather have Cavallini.

Lot of pundits saying Cavallini might be suspended for the remainder of the season. I think at minimum he’ll get a 3 match ban.

If Cavallini’s season is over - I’m not even sure that would be enough for Herdman to drop him from the Qatar roster but you have to think it would at least give Herdman something to think about 

Edited by Floortom

Read the thread, assumed you lot were overreacting. Just saw the MLS highlights. What a fucking idiot. 

If he is indeed done for the season, then let him miss the flight. He takes the dumbest cards. Harsh? Honestly, I'm not sure. (To state my bias, I haven't rated Cav since he came to MLS so maybe I have my hate goggles on)

David and Larin will take all the minutes they can handle. Ugbo (who finished the season strong last year) for the rest of the minutes. It would be an easier convo if Ugbo's form from last year continued. It is early though. 

Corbeanu or Kolesho as additional depth even though it is not natural positions for them. (Wish Ayo or Jebbison were tearing things up. That would make things more interesting).

Even Tajon or Davies to stretch the defence which Herdman has done before.  

I am not Herdman though. Cav last season was poor but has picked up form this season so that may be enough for Herdman. 

So unfortunate he did this. 

I do not think Cava will be going to Qatar.  He has only himself to blame. This was a brutal foul and a very selfish decision on his part. (I use the word "decision" lightly here.)  Not sure Herdman can take a guy who will likely not play much football from now till Qatar. Not sure he can take the risk of putting a guy like that on the pitch. And I am not sure the culture Herdman has built has room for such an individual.

We'll see how this all plays out, but I expect the fall out from this egregious foul to be very damaging for Cava's career.

44 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I do not think Cava will be going to Qatar.  He has only himself to blame. This was a brutal foul and a very selfish decision on his part. (I use the word "decision" lightly here.)  Not sure Herdman can take a guy who will likely not play much football from now till Qatar. Not sure he can take the risk of putting a guy like that on the pitch. And I am not sure the culture Herdman has built has room for such an individual.

We'll see how this all plays out, but I expect the fall out from this egregious foul to be very damaging for Cava's career.

As much as I've appreciated Cav's previous scoring rate for the national team, it's hard to argue with this. I hope by some miracle he can come back, prove he is in form and make his case for Qatar clear, but I understand why people are questioning whether he should go. 

I have rarely seen a more stupid and avoidable foul as that. Anybody could have avoided stepping on any part of that defender let alone his head. Cavallini is quickly becoming a liability to his club and, potentially, to the national team.  We are fortunate to have several other options which make excluding Cavallini rather painless. Time to move on. Although playing different positions, Liam Millar and Corbeanu may see their chance increase if the dumbass's spot becomes open.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

So who gets a longer suspension? Cavallini or Pozuelo?

Cav IMO.  Poz was negligent.  It wasn’t intentional - he was clearly looking at the ball coming from behind him.  Definitely dangerous and warranted a red card but it wasn’t malicious.  Cav literally made a point of stepping on the guy’s head as he went past him.  It wasn’t accidental - he 100% knew what he was doing.  

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Cav IMO.  Poz was negligent.  It wasn’t intentional - he was clearly looking at the ball coming from behind him.  Definitely dangerous and warranted a red card but it wasn’t malicious.  Cav literally made a point of stepping on the guy’s head as he went past him.  It wasn’t accidental - he 100% knew what he was doing.  

Super negligent, out of control, red card worthy but how are you play mind reader and know "100%" that he knew what is was doing? 

There's a hate-on going on here so don't want to get in front of that but Cav's a big boy and didn't look like he put much weight on the Nashville player given how quickly the they bounded up.  Plus it's at slow motion where everything looks more deliberate in every sport. 

meh, Larin is clear, always was, always will be. I mean, he did say he regretted being capped by Canada and not being able to represent Uruguay instead no? To be fair, the guy has been saying and doing stupid things throughout his career, this is not new, don't get why anyone is surprised really. Henry is not the red card machine, this clown is, and I rather not have to deal playing down a man in Qatar.

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Cavallini literarily looks down at the guy before stepping on him. WTF... who does that. There is stupid, and then there's that.

2 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Cavallini will play At WC lads,  Cavallini is a proven pro.  A moment of rush nothing else nothing more.  Will get his head right,  he wants to get the Whitecaps in the playoff,  some of you canucks said selfish, no ,  is frustration

I agree he is going, but I don’t think he’ll get much if any playing time, I can see him playing in the final game if Canada is already eliminated…

9 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Super negligent, out of control, red card worthy but how are you play mind reader and know "100%" that he knew what is was doing? 

There's a hate-on going on here so don't want to get in front of that but Cav's a big boy and didn't look like he put much weight on the Nashville player given how quickly the they bounded up.  Plus it's at slow motion where everything looks more deliberate in every sport. 

Come on man.  These are guys with absolutely ridiculous levels of physical control.  They can dribble a ball through a crowd and practice intricate moves and movements literally every day.   There is no chance whatsoever that Cav accidentally stepped on him while choosing to run through the same space. He could have easily avoided him.  You can even tell that he quite intentionally doesn’t put much weight on him as he does it - which is good, but also means that he is definitely aware of what he is doing.  

I am not sitting here hating on him and ready to cast aside his history with the CMNT - I just think it was an absolute boneheaded thing to do and a brutal decision made in the heat of the moment.  

9 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Cavallini will play At WC lads,  Cavallini is a proven pro.  A moment of rush nothing else nothing more.  Will get his head right,  he wants to get the Whitecaps in the playoff,  some of you canucks said selfish, no ,  is frustration

He is known for taking dumb cards (seems like especially when subbing into a game). This, however, is a new low point for him. Not sure putting cleats to someone's head who is on the ground (Cav was craving the contact) is nothing more than a rush. He was trying to be cute and manufacture contact. He went over the ledge while doing so. 

23 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

I just checked the video and that's it? This is what you'll are getting bent out of shape over? I thought for a second he stomped on somebody's head but he literally just tapped it with his foot. Sure, a red card offense but there was no intent to injure anybody. 

Relax, this is nothing. 

Edited by Macksam

35 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I just checked the video and that's it? This is what you'll are getting bent out of shape over? I thought for a second he stomped on somebody's head but he literally just tapped it with his foot. Sure, a red card offense but there was no intent to injure anybody. 

Relax, this is nothing. 

/s?

36 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Relax, this is nothing. 

wut