Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Trying to do too much. And he looks like he's lost some pace too (not that he was ever pacey, mind you).  Meanwhile, White is pretty much doing everything right out there.  Just not sure Cava fits with this team anymore. I don't want that to be true, of course.  But he needs to regain his swagger, run is ass off, hold up and draw fouls, and bag a bunch of goals from inside the 18.  

On 10/23/2021 at 10:13 PM, BearcatSA said:

The decision making in conjunction with the execution hasn't been there.  He might still be struggling with the knee, as well.  Rough patch for him right now. 

He started dropping back too much when the Whitecaps didn't have Gauld and now...he's still dropping back too much. So he ends up out of position for where they need him (and where he's most effective) and looks like he might have rushed back from the knee injury which is compounding the issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Does he get a move in January? 

The only reason he is currently in the squad is intangibles he most likely brings and that someone like Akinola is injured. Honestly if Hoilett was fit and with Ugbo's surprise inclusion Cav may be lucky to be in the squad right now. 

How long is the Herdman's leash where eventually the conversation changes to Cav figuring out his club situation and getting back into form. Togetherness and intangibles are great. But the only thing that matters is securing enough points to get to Qatar. 

If he doesn't move in January I believe MLS starts late February. We have games late January. Applies to all MLS players about fitness and being out of season but someone like Laryea makes it no-matter what in my books. Can the same be said for Cav?

He still has this window and the Whitecaps playoff run to show what he has I guess. But he is firmly on the pine in Vancouver. 

Edited by canuckgbp

10 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Does he get a move in January? 

The only reason he is currently in the squad is intangibles he most likely brings and that someone like Akinola is injured. Honestly if Hoilett was fit and with Ugbo's surprise inclusion Cav may be lucky to be in the squad right now. 

Obviously he's had a disappointing season, but I think we're far from the point yet where we can say with any sort of certainty that Akinola is a better or more useful player for Canada than Cavallini.

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Obviously he's had a disappointing season, but I think we're far from the point yet where we can say with any sort of certainty that Akinola is a better or more useful player for Canada than Cavallini.

Well due to injury Akinola hasn't had a chance to show what he has for Canada. He has been the better MLS player with less minutes though. 

Cavallini MLS 

39 GP | 30 GS | 9G, 1A | 2686 minutes 

Akinola MLS

38 GP | 21 GS | 13G, 2A | 2010 minutes

Cavallini last scored in early July. I know he has been battling injuries but he hasn't been effective. I can't say he deserves a place on the roster other then the experience and intangibles he brings, which are important. But there is only so much room and we have other leaders on the team. 

4 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Well due to injury Akinola hasn't had a chance to show what he has for Canada. He has been the better MLS player with less minutes though. 

Cavallini MLS 

39 GP | 30 GS | 9G, 1A | 2686 minutes 

Akinola MLS

38 GP | 21 GS | 13G, 2A | 2010 minutes

Cavallini last scored in early July. I know he has been battling injuries but he hasn't been effective. I can't say he deserves a place on the roster other then the experience and intangibles he brings, which are important. But there is only so much room and we have other leaders on the team. 

Like I mentioned in another thread, I don't think these end-of-the-roster debates are particularly crucial (would we really have been any better or worse off if someone else had played Brym's handful of minutes in the last round?). But those MLS numbers, to me, don't really advantage one player or the other, when one considers the kind of service Akinola got in 2019 and 2020 with TFC vs Cavallini on MdS's Whitecaps. Cavallini is also a proven performer for Canada. Cavallini remains the only forward of the last decade or so for Canada that does a decent job at back to goal hold-up play, although admittedly that isn't a big part of our attack.

11 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Like I mentioned in another thread, I don't think these end-of-the-roster debates are particularly crucial (would we really have been any better or worse off if someone else had played Brym's handful of minutes in the last round?). But those MLS numbers, to me, don't really advantage one player or the other, when one considers the kind of service Akinola got in 2019 and 2020 with TFC vs Cavallini on MdS's Whitecaps. Cavallini is also a proven performer for Canada. Cavallini remains the only forward of the last decade or so for Canada that does a decent job at back to goal hold-up play, although admittedly that isn't a big part of our attack.

That's the thing. He hasn't been influential during this later part of qualifying. We know he has the holdup quality and is good in the air. All I am saying is if Akinola wasn't done for the year I find it hard to imagine he wouldn't have been on better form the Cav currently is. I am just disappointed he lost his place in the Vancouver pecking order and doesn't seem to be a big part of this Canadian squad. 

Hopefully he can turn it around. I think he needs to get out of dodge in Vancouver though. 

Good points all around. Just poking my head in to ask if Canada really needs another aerial threat. Larin is good in the air and likes to come short, David is not as physically imposing but can also play back to goal, and Ugbo seems to have the ability to come short and post up if needed, or finish with his head, whilst having a larger frame and more speed.

With that in mind, are we really better off with Cav as our #4 striker vs someone might offer a different look? 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Meanwhile White has a brace.

Do we think White has some sort of Canadian connection LMAO

You joke but if he was to play out his entire contract with Vancouver, at the end I’m pretty sure he would be eligible for Canadian PR. In saying that there’s a long way between now and then and if he continues up this form he could receive a USMNT call-up (he’s not been capped at any level as of now). 

Edited by Atlantic

26 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

You joke but if he was to play out his entire contract with Vancouver, at the end I’m pretty sure he would be eligible for Canadian PR. In saying that there’s a long way between now and then and if he continues up this form he could receive a USMNT call-up (he’s not been capped at any level as of now). 

This is gonna sound strange to hear but I don't think there'll be a spot for White on the NT. Forwards and wings are being created in an unbelievable rate in Canada.

• 2 weeks later...