Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

On 8/28/2022 at 4:45 AM, footballfreak said:

I think most people saying he’s a lock aren’t basing it on talent, but because he brings something unique physically that we don’t have in another player. Also because Herdman has shown Cav is one of his guys regardless of whether it makes sense or not. He was called when he was injured, out of form, and then out of season. Sadly, there’s no reason to believe he won’t get called again.

Having watched him extensively over the last three seasons, I no longer care if Canada goes to Qatar without a big strong body up top. He’s more of a liability than he’s worth, even for 5 mins to close out a game. Let Maple Akinfenwa see out the rest his days in the middle eastern retirement league of his choice.

This guy was putting up good numbers in Liga MX, the talent is there.  My feeling is he's just not suited to VWC and needs out.  

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Yah I like Cavallini. I think he's a solid player and a suitable forward coming off the bench for our national team. I don't change my opinion from minute to minute

I am a bit concerned with his ability to speak French 

I meant the strange part, not the Cavallini part. And I will concede you are a consistent poster. Consistently off the mark, but consistent nonetheless.

2 hours ago, jordan said:

Yeah you’re probably right, MLS disco is gonna think he just used his head to keep the movement going like Super Mario hoping off a turtle

Well, you have to look at it carefully and reasonably gauge the amount of force he put on his head. Anybody can clearly see he didn't go down with any significant force. Muyl even looked up and was more annoyed than anything. He just realized he would be able to get him sent off should he milk it, and that's exactly what he did and started play acting. The guy played the full 90 after that so where is the disconnect from the rest of you? Again, was it a red card? Yes. Intent to injure? No. This is like somebody spitting on another player or shoving their face away with an open hand. Those are red card offenses to, nothing more. 

Edited by Macksam

2 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Well, you have to look at it carefully and reasonably gauge the amount of force he put on his head. Anybody can clearly see he didn't go down with any significant force. Muyl even looked up and was more annoyed than anything. He just realized he would be able to get him sent off should he milk it, and that's exactly what he did and started play acting. The guy played the full 90 after that so where is the disconnect from the rest of you? Again, was it a red card? Yes. Intent to injure? No. This is like somebody spitting on another player or shoving their face away with an open hand. Those are red card offenses to, nothing more. 

Dude, you can't stomp on someone's head, full stop. The amount of force you use is moot when determining intent to injure when you're purposely stepping on someone's skull. The action carries intent to injure inherently. The fact that you're saying this is analogous to pushing someone's face with an open hand is ludicrous. I'm actually shocked you aren't being sarcastic.

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

Dude, you can't stomp on someone's head, full stop. The amount of force you use is moot when determining intent to injure when you're purposely stepping on someone's skull. The action carries intent to injure inherently. The fact that you're saying this is analogous to pushing someone's face with an open hand is ludicrous. I'm actually shocked you aren't being sarcastic.

No, if he wanted to injure him, he could have. All he did was graze his head. You have to look at it with some nuance. 

Just now, Macksam said:

No, if he wanted to injure him, he could have. All he did was graze his head. You have to look at it with some nuance. 

You're missing the point. I'm not saying Cavallini actually tried to crush his skull, and I think we can all agree that's probably true. If that was the case, he would likely be in jail. I'm saying within the rules of the game, the very act of purposely stepping on someone's head carries intent to injure. This is not a philosophical question, it's a question of clearly defined rules within a game. It was not a sporting action, it was a violent action.

6 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I get it.  And I agree - Cav clearly didn’t try to injure the guy.  But that doesn’t change the fact that he intentionally stepped on a guys head while on the ground.  You just can’t do that and expect that there will be minimal repercussions.  It isn’t just intent to injure that they will take into account.  

To me it looks like he sets a pick, then looks down to see where he is, tries to jump over him as the nashville player tries to get up Cav can't get the height he needs to clear his head. He wasn't trying to get away with stomping a guys skull in a league thats nationally televised and has VAR. It was a bang bang play and you have to realize that watching this in slow motion vs full speed is very different. He had milliseconds to decide he was going to try to jump over the player to rush back into the play. Dangerous, yes, stupid, probably, but evil? no lol. This is sports, sh*t happens. He's a bull in a china shop out there and we all used to love him for it. It's what he brings to the table and Vancouver knew that when they signed him, so don't go all soft on him now. 

33 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I did not mean to hurt the guy, so I ran over him very slowly with my car. I used a slur, but I was only kidding. I hit my partner softly just as a reminder, not to hurt them.  I made sexually inappropriate comments at work, but the person should be able to handle it. I intentionally stepped on a player's head during a soccer game, but only softly. Look how fast the guy got up. Hmm!! The excuses are pathetic. 

1 hour ago, frmr said:

You're missing the point. I'm not saying Cavallini actually tried to crush his skull, and I think we can all agree that's probably true. If that was the case, he would likely be in jail. I'm saying within the rules of the game, the very act of purposely stepping on someone's head carries intent to injure. This is not a philosophical question, it's a question of clearly defined rules within a game. It was not a sporting action, it was a violent action.

Remind me, how many years of jail Bertuzzi made?

Edited by MauditYvon

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

I did not mean to hurt the guy, so I ran over him very slowly with my car. I used a slur, but I was only kidding. I hit my partner softly just as a reminder, not to hurt them.  I made sexually inappropriate comments at work, but the person should be able to handle it. I intentionally stepped on a player's head during a soccer game, but only softly. Look how fast the guy got up. Hmm!! The excuses are pathetic. 

Again. How do you know he did it intentionally? 

All your examples involve a hypothetical you. Didn't know you were also in Luca's head. 

23 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

Again. How do you know he did it intentionally? 

All your examples involve a hypothetical you. Didn't know you were also in Luca's head. 

2 hours ago, BradMack said:

To me it looks like he sets a pick, then looks down to see where he is, tries to jump over him as the nashville player tries to get up Cav can't get the height he needs to clear his head. He wasn't trying to get away with stomping a guys skull in a league thats nationally televised and has VAR. It was a bang bang play and you have to realize that watching this in slow motion vs full speed is very different. He had milliseconds to decide he was going to try to jump over the player to rush back into the play. Dangerous, yes, stupid, probably, but evil? no lol. This is sports, sh*t happens. He's a bull in a china shop out there and we all used to love him for it. It's what he brings to the table and Vancouver knew that when they signed him, so don't go all soft on him now. 

I'm sorry but of all the bad takes in this thread, the take that it was an accident is by far the worst. In the video you can see he looks down at the player as he starts running and takes a step towards him. He easily could have avoided him. There is no loss of control, no loss of balance, and it's clear that he knew what he was doing because he jumps up and steps just hard enough to make him feel it, but not hard enough to injure him. He was in total control. From the video you can even see that he hovers over top of him for a split second and then launches his run from his head. Classy.

I'm all for differing opinions and all that nonsense, but if anyone actually thinks Cavallini didn't mean to do exactly what he did... well I'll stop there so not to offend anyone.

2 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Remind me, how many years of jail Bertuzzi made?

Funny, seeing there were more posts on Cava I thought of Bertuzzi--because of how exagerrated and moralising most are being about that little incident with Cavallini the other day.

The really insulting thing about the last Caps game is that a critical home match was squandered in little more than half an hour and they just made the fans sit through that humiliation like it was their duty.

8 minutes ago, frmr said:

I'm sorry but of all the bad takes in this thread, the take that it was an accident is by far the worst. In the video you can see he looks down at the player as he starts running and takes a step towards him. He easily could have avoided him. There is no loss of control, no loss of balance, and it's clear that he knew what he was doing because he jumps up and steps just hard enough to make him feel it, but not hard enough to injure him. He was in total control. From the video you can even see that he hovers over top of him for a split second and then launches his run from his head. Classy.

I'm all for differing opinions and all that nonsense, but if anyone actually thinks Cavallini didn't mean to do exactly what he did... well I'll stop there so not to offend anyone.

Yeah, not to throw gas on the fire, but there is honestly no way that it wasn’t intentional.   Like 0%.  Just my opinion of course but I don’t buy that it was anything other than an intentional act.   

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, not to throw gas on the fire, but there is honestly no way that it wasn’t intentional.   Like 0%.  Just my opinion of course but I don’t buy that it was anything other than an intentional act.   

I agree with that. He went with a dirty elbow check just before stepping on him. Total trash. Not like he’s our first striker option (he is criminally speaking).

Edited by MauditYvon

1 hour ago, frmr said:

You see what you want to want to see because this is a fuck Cavallini circle jerk.

He shoulder checked the guy, was off balance moving with his momentum moving in the opposite direction of his feet, had 3 steps to gain control (which he didn't) in less than a second and jumped and Muyl rose toward his feet while Cavallini was already in the air.  

Again super out of control,  red worthy but a plausible explanation as I'm watching the same video as you, but I'm not pretending to be a mind reader on top of that...  

Some people don't want him on the World Cup team so this incident has to be as bad as list including a criminal assault (Bertuzzi), being a racist, committing domestic violence, sexual harassment etc. 

A more reasonable take is that I'm not a fan of Cavallini and think his play style is often reckless and puts the larger team at risk due to that and should not be included in the World Cup roster. 

Edited by yomurphy1

4 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

You see what you want to want to see because this is a fuck Cavallini circle jerk.

He shoulder checked the guy, was off balance moving with his momentum moving in the opposite direction of his feet, had 3 steps to gain control (which he didn't) in less than a second and jumped and Muyl rose toward his feet while Cavallini was already in the air.  

Again super out of control,  red worthy but a plausible explanation as I'm watching the same video as you, but I'm not pretending to be a mind reader on top of that...  

Some people don't want him on the World Cup team so this incident has to be as bad as list including a criminal assault (Bertuzzi), being a racist, committing domestic violence, sexual harassment etc. 

A more reasonable take is that I'm not a fan of Cavallini and think his play style is often reckless and puts the larger team at risk due to that and should not be included in the World Cup roster. 

Sure thing.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The really insulting thing about the last Caps game is that a critical home match was squandered in little more than half an hour and they just made the fans sit through that humiliation like it was their duty.

But how much displeasure was shown by the fans at the end of the game, or were they too full after stuffing their pieholes with way overpriced food and beverage and just wandered out of the stadium?

Your fellow Catalans would have, at the very least, waved their white hankies at full time.

For the record, I want(ed) Cavallini to be in the squad for Qatar, I felt he was having a very good (not excellent, but very good) year with the Caps, I don't have a hate-boner for him, and yet the foul that led to the red card looked savage to me.  It looked like he intended to do what he did. Which isn't cool, bruhs. 

Do we know if the MLS is reviewing this? (They review all red cards, do they not?) To be clear, I am not sure if I want Cava in Qatar anymore.  And just so some of ya's don't interpret that incorrectly, let me repeat: I don't know how I feel about him being there or not. But I DO suspect that he will likely get several games' suspension and that he's probably hurt his chances of getting selected by Herdman. Or, to put it another way, his actions have not helped his chances.

We'll see how this all plays out.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

But how much displeasure was shown by the fans at the end of the game, or were they too full after stuffing their pieholes with way overpriced food and beverage and just wandered out of the stadium?

Your fellow Catalans would have, at the very least, waved their white hankies at full time.

I've seen a few of the great "pañoladas", which always makes you wonder why so many people even go to matches with hankies--especially nowadays.

One of the greatest was against Villareal in their first ever season in top flight, 1998, we lost 1-3, goals for them by Craioveanu the Romanian striker. White handkerchiefs and calls for the then-president Núñez to resign and for Van Gaal to be sacked. 

Xavi and Guardiola played together in the middle that day, Rivaldo, Kluivert and Figo up top, talented team it was. 

At BC Place, fans just walk away, stare dumbly irritated, remain polite, walk away. When I see that for the majority it does not matter, it does not matter to me, I go because I am a fan but my investment won't go any further than the club president's and the FO when it comes to building a competitive team that plays well. Which have yet to see, in real terms, in all the years we've been in MLS but was a habitual feature of every Caps version previously.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist