Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

5 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Ugbo, Larin, and David are still clear... way clear. Unless he stats to find some consistency, then he does not deserve a spot on the WC squad.

We need to see Ugbo more to say this.

From what I have seen he does not combine a lot with other players. I am not sure of his hold-up play. I don't know if he pressures defenders effectively. In the air?

Ugbo is basically a finisher, often one touch and in. Cavallini does a bit more, and could be very useful beating up on CBs or being a nuisance late in a match. If he were not scoring at all, I could see your point. But that is not the case now.

22 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Well definitely no debate about it now

7 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Ugbo, Larin, and David are still clear... way clear. Unless he stats to find some consistency, then he does not deserve a spot on the WC squad.

I don't think there's "no debate" but Herdman might give him more of the benefit of the doubt, considering the quality of the MLS team he's on.  I think we all know it's David/Larin in one tier followed by Ugbo and Cavallini in the next tier down, with another drop at forward following that.  Cavallini can't be bad (like he's been the last few years) but even if he's a bit inconsistent he'll probably still make it.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We need to see Ugbo more to say this.

From what I have seen he does not combine a lot with other players. I am not sure of his hold-up play. I don't know if he pressures defenders effectively. In the air?

Ugbo is basically a finisher, often one touch and in. Cavallini does a bit more, and could be very useful beating up on CBs or being a nuisance late in a match. If he were not scoring at all, I could see your point. But that is not the case now.

true, but despite looking "off" at times, Ugbo is still making things happen on a below average team in a better league, which joined halfway through the season, which in itself is not easy. If Troyes stays up, he will have been a big reason for that. And with 2 goals so far in the season... that's not quite the definition of "consistency". As it stands, even if he makes the squad, there is no reason Lucas should get playing time over any of the other 3 strikes on the squad, barring injury.

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think there's "no debate" but Herdman might give him more of the benefit of the doubt, considering the quality of the MLS team he's on.  I think we all know it's David/Larin in one tier followed by Ugbo and Cavallini in the next tier down, with another drop at forward following that.  Cavallini can't be bad (like he's been the last few years) but even if he's a bit inconsistent he'll probably still make it.

yeah... sorry, IMO Cavallini is a tier below that.

4 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

true, but despite looking "off" at times, Ugbo is still making things happen on a below average team in a better league, which joined halfway through the season, which in itself is not easy. If Troyes stays up, he will have been a big reason for that. And with 2 goals so far in the season... that's not quite the definition of "consistency". As it stands, even if he makes the squad, there is no reason Lucas should get playing time over any of the other 3 strikes on the squad, barring injury.

I think Herdman can go a long way by starting Ike vs. Iran. We need to see him for more than just a few minutes. And not vs. a minor rival like Curaçao. In fact he's the squad member we are less clear about, he's just gotten scraps.

At this point if I take Cavallini, I take him to close games, i.e. get him in the late 70 min mark, and appoint him the task of CONCACAFING the hell out of the opposing team until the end of the game (maybe allow a yellow here and there if the trade off is worth it hehe)

22 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I mean, that's fine. I think my main point is that if you're not taking Cavallini you have to figure out who you'd take instead, and I don't think that's clear.

12 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Not three. Four other strikers. You're forgetting Akinola. After seeing him against Orlando, I'd say  He's rounding into shape and will probably start TFC's next game. It's a five horse race: David, Larin, Akinola, Ugbo and Cavallini.

And to be honest it wouldn't surprise me one bit if all five make it. Herdman had David play as #10 in a few WC qualifying games. Depending on what will happen with Oso and Mitrovic, he may again use David as a #10.

Edited by Sal333

7 hours ago, Mitchryan11 said:

jebbison tore up league one 

Cavalini is a guy who “tore up” Liga MX a couple of years ago with respectable stats in a very tough environment.   I am cheering Jebbison on and hope he commits to Canada, but let’s not overstate the impact of scoring in the 3rd tier of English soccer.  Cav may not have transitioned that well to MLS but he is still a guy who brings a lot - and I think it is premature to think he has been displaced by a guy who can’t make the starting 11 in a Championship team (and I know Laryea is in the same situation but he is already an established CMNT player who has shown many times what he can do for us).  

12 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

7 goals in 18 League One matches, while very good for an 18-year old, is not quite "tearing it up."

and still led burtion albion in scoring after being recalled by the blades, hes just not getting the opportunities with the blades because of their premier league push 

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Cavalini is a guy who “tore up” Liga MX a couple of years ago with respectable stats in a very tough environment.   I am cheering Jebbison on and hope he commits to Canada, but let’s not overstate the impact of scoring in the 3rd tier of English soccer.  Cav may not have transitioned that well to MLS but he is still a guy who brings a lot - and I think it is premature to think he has been displaced by a guy who can’t make the starting 11 in a Championship team (and I know Laryea is in the same situation but he is already an established CMNT player who has shown many times what he can do for us).  

but ya i agree to bad world cup wasnt in 2023 he most likely would win a roll almost rather have a older more experienced guy in the last forward spot

Cav with a second very good game in a row. Got the winner on a well-taken PK. Work rate is incredible. Played the full match. He's looking very fit, very determined, very confident.  But...he took another yellow and will miss the next match. But I am encouraged by what I've seen these past couple of games. He's making an impact for the Caps, no doubt.

2 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

But...he took another yellow and will miss the next match. But I am encouraged by what I've seen these past couple of games. He's making an impact for the Caps, no doubt.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think this is called load management.

Yup, Sartini after the match said he was not upset about it. No cross country flight to Charlotte now and he'll be rested for the Calgary game.