Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

On 8/30/2022 at 4:24 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

One of the classic narratives that I have heard for literally decades, is that a player can go into a national team camp to get a break from and distance himself from his club situation. 

Not only that, but in successive cases I have followed in Spain, with most of the leading NT coaches, players who are not featuring for their clubs or are playing in another position are brought in to start, and often play in a position the NT coach feels they are more suited to. So the NT coach oxygenates with the call up.

This will then irritate fans of certain clubs, as their more deserving guy gets ignored, or the guy they are ignoring who is sitting on the bench gets a boost from the NT.

So it is mistaken to think that the NT coach should have to follow the club situation overly closely, and in fact, it could be argued it is better he doesn't. The whole business of Herdman trusting the back line to Johnston-Vitoria-Miller, when just a year ago we were really unsure about that combo and their club profiles were only mediocre, is a good example. 

It could be argued that Herdman looking at a striker take a dumb red for a club should just plain ignore it, and even better, channel it. 

Yes and no.  Guys who aren't playing regular first team football or who are even completely shut out of training (like Stalteri at the end if his time at Spurs) are coming to the international match window probably not at the optimum level an NT manager would like, even if serving in a particular role with NT.  

However, we could see this definitely unfolding in the Henry-Waterman situation, but that's for the relevant thread.

Edited by BearcatSA

4 hours ago, Floortom said:

Im ambivalent on Cava at this point but we don’t have any better options. Unless Ugbo steps up we need a true striker in the roster. 

Tesho? Is anyone serious with that?

I wasn’t particularly serious about Tesho, but he is putting up goals in the same league whilst not taking stupid red cards. 220mins/goal vs 183 for Cava is not bad when you consider his 440 mins is almost exclusively as a sub and spread out over 21 games.

I would rather Cav wasn’t an idiot, but that no longer seems like a realistic possibility. He’s almost 30. This is who he is. He does this type of shit nearly every game. The magnitude of a World Cup will only heighten the risk that he blows his top when we need him most.

For proof of concept, see the Gold Cup. We had already lost Akinola (and Hoilett?) to injury by the Costa Rica QF, which we were comfortably bossing. Cav already had a yellow card in the tournament, but thought taking another one and missing a semifinal against Mexico was the best use of his abilities.

He has the ability on the field to make this roster. Unfortunately he also has the impulse control of a gerbil. 

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

Whatever you decide to identify with is fine with me. You ready to get elevated to the next level?

Lol, I see the play on words now. I meant brah as in bro.

I know, it was a joke. Just playing into the fact that I'm apparently a woke liberal SJW type. I've been called a lot of things in life, but never that.

2 hours ago, footballfreak said:

I wasn’t particularly serious about Tesho, but he is putting up goals in the same league whilst not taking stupid red cards. 220mins/goal vs 183 for Cava is not bad when you consider his 440 mins is almost exclusively as a sub and spread out over 21 games.

I would rather Cav wasn’t an idiot, but that no longer seems like a realistic possibility. He’s almost 30. This is who he is. He does this type of shit nearly every game. The magnitude of a World Cup will only heighten the risk that he blows his top when we need him most.

For proof of concept, see the Gold Cup. We had already lost Akinola (and Hoilett?) to injury by the Costa Rica QF, which we were comfortably bossing. Cav already had a yellow card in the tournament, but thought taking another one and missing a semifinal against Mexico was the best use of his abilities.

He has the ability on the field to make this roster. Unfortunately he also has the impulse control of a gerbil. 

We lose a lot of our x-factor and fierceness with both Cav and Henry on the verge of being dropped.  All we'd have left is the crazy-eyes of Johnston and Laryea, I mean they're scary but not f-you up like Cav & Henry scary.

At that point, Borjan would adopt the team bully role, and that's just not what we want.

Edited by costarg

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

We lose a lot of our x-factor and fierceness with both Cav and Henry on the verge of being dropped.  All we'd have left is the crazy-eyes of Johnston and Laryea, I mean they're scary but not f-you up like Cav & Henry scary.

At that point, Borjan would adopt the team bully role, and that's just not what we want.

Why do I want to see Henry hit De Bruyne with the Lozano special

1 hour ago, frmr said:

I know, it was a joke. Just playing into the fact that I'm apparently a woke liberal SJW type. I've been called a lot of things in life, but never that.

I never called you that, I said some were acting like that. 

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

Are you ready for your training bro? 

More cringe. Another red card is warranted. 🟥

5 hours ago, frmr said:

They would look at all violent conduct red cards.

I expect at least a 3 game suspension in total. Do we have a precedent to compare to?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I expect at least a 3 game suspension in total. Do we have a precedent to compare to?

Douglas Costa had 2 games, total, in July

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/la-galaxy-s-douglas-costa-suspended-for-violent-conduct

I think Cavani elbow is at least similar, than you have the terrorist attack following.

Edited by MauditYvon

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

I never called you that, I said some were acting like that. 

No, instead you went to the trouble of finding and posting the SJW meme, because you're so laid back and nonchalant.

7 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Douglas Costa had 2 games, total, in July

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/la-galaxy-s-douglas-costa-suspended-for-violent-conduct

I think Cavani elbow is at least similar, than you have the terrorist attack following.

If an elbow to the back of the head is one extra game, I would suspect this would be at least that, if not more. At least the elbow sort of looked like it was part of the flow of the game. I still suspect Herdman will take him, even though I wouldn't care at all if he already earned his last cap.

15 minutes ago, frmr said:

At least the elbow sort of looked like it was part of the flow of the game.

That’s were I don’t agree with most of us (and the commentators). Totally reckless. His team has the ball, going on counter, and he goes violent on an opponent who is not involved in the play. Rest is history.

Let see it again

Edited by MauditYvon

35 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Thanks for the link.

The cleats on or near the head look worse.

If that is a 1 + 1 suspension, then I stand by my prediction, and I think we will see at least a 1 + 2 suspension.

52 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

You have just joined the brotherhood to with this post. It will be all five of us, @frmr, @Watchmen, @Olympique_de_Marseille, @shermanator. In a few months time, we will all be decked out in Prada shirts, Gucci belts, Movado watches and Club Monaco pants, walking into the finest establishments in the city...and we will just be slaying it out there, becoming absolute Titans in the process. Are you all ready?

Edited by Macksam

27 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks for the link.

The cleats on or near the head look worse.

If that is a 1 + 1 suspension, then I stand by my prediction, and I think we will see at least a 1 + 2 suspension.

3 games would be his best case scenario I believe. Still, probably ends his season, so looking real bad for CMNT.

CRIPES, this is getting down right creepy.   Meet me on the corner for lessons? We'll soon be wearing prada and gucci...slaying it?????  Its a 70's after school special about stranger danger.   I swear if Macksams next post is about how "roomy the waterbed is" in his "bitchin van" I'm going to have to call some of you guys moms.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

CRIPES, this is getting down right creepy.   Meet me on the corner for lessons? We'll soon be wearing prada and gucci...slaying it?????  Its a 70's after school special about stranger danger.   I swear if Macksams next post is about how "roomy the waterbed is" in his "bitchin van" I'm going to have to call some of you guys moms.  

Matthew Mcconaughey GIF