Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, frmr said:

A lot of people have Cava as a lock for Qatar. Certainly not for me, and not just because of this stupid red card. He's in the discussion for sure but definitely shouldn't be a lock. Not really sure what he brings at this point aside from "personality".

I think most people saying he’s a lock aren’t basing it on talent, but because he brings something unique physically that we don’t have in another player. Also because Herdman has shown Cav is one of his guys regardless of whether it makes sense or not. He was called when he was injured, out of form, and then out of season. Sadly, there’s no reason to believe he won’t get called again.

Having watched him extensively over the last three seasons, I no longer care if Canada goes to Qatar without a big strong body up top. He’s more of a liability than he’s worth, even for 5 mins to close out a game. Let Maple Akinfenwa see out the rest his days in the middle eastern retirement league of his choice.

He's not a liability, he's an asset. 

He gets into this mode when he's inefficient or the team is doing badly. He did not cost the team last night, that is on a a whole set of others.

He is a bit like a hockey enforcer at times, he thinks he needs to shake things up. It's a misinterpretation, but better that than listless indifference.

Sometimes this way he has is good when the rival is frustrated, he can get under their skin. He is a tough body for a CB to deal with late in a match; he's also a distraction, occupying attention, opening up space for others. He can get the game into a positive mode if the team is defending a result.

He's a lot fitter IMO than he was last year, as well, so that helps, and he's scoring better.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, frmr said:

A lot of people have Cava as a lock for Qatar. Certainly not for me, and not just because of this stupid red card. He's in the discussion for sure but definitely shouldn't be a lock. Not really sure what he brings at this point aside from "personality".

He brings a different skill set than any other striker in our pool. The only comparable strike is Akinola and he has been twice as good as him this year.

Cavallini likely isn’t starting in Qatar so he’s an asset. 

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Cavallini certainly deserves a spot in Qatar based on his play this year. If we want to drop someone that doesn't deserve it, Henry is the guy.

Get ready for everyone telling you he is undroppable purely for being a CB who brings intangibles. But I agree. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He did not cost the team last night, that is on a a whole set of others.

His red card didn't affect the outcome of the game but it has an impact on upcoming games (and their hopes of a playoff run). Certainly a multi-game suspension coming.

If they miraculously make a run, it won't be because of him.

Thinking of the hockey enforcer analogy, can we think of a time when he picked up an "effective" yellow card for Canada? (Not being assy, just wondering if anyone remembers)

He lost control and acted a fool.  He’s a pure goon.  He cost his team because he’ll likely get suspended - that’s on him.  But having a player like Cavallini or Henry, who lives on the edge, can also be a positive when you’re in a match that turns into a war.
I also think Herdman won’t drop anyone who was regularly called upon during the quals.  He’ll be there in Qatar, and his form this season can justify the choice.   And if he finds his way into a game, we’ll just have to deal with the anxiety and cross our fingers he doesn’t go on tilt.  

Cavallini's spot should be in jeopardy because he's been less effective and productive as the season has gone on. The red card doesn't help him, though that loss isn't on him either. If I'm Vanni, I give Herdman a call and ask him to talk with Cavallini about it, because the WC should be the biggest moment of his career and his season is going the wrong way.

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

Cavallini's spot should be in jeopardy because he's been less effective and productive as the season has gone on. The red card doesn't help him, though that loss isn't on him either. If I'm Vanni, I give Herdman a call and ask him to talk with Cavallini about it, because the WC should be the biggest moment of his career and his season is going the wrong way.

Yeah, he started off absolutely lights out - and playing hard but smart.  Since then the level seems to have dropped off and the IQ has obviously taken a hit. I thought for sure he would use the WC to have a career season but as you say, he is trending trending direction.   And unfortunately with the nature of the card last night, I could see him missing out on up to 3 of Vancouver’s last 6 regular season games.   

I agree with most that he’ll be in Qatar. I just find he’s not really an option for us in the goal scoring department anymore. Club play? Sure, but not against national teams. The role I see him playing is if you’re up a goal late or tied and you need a guy to run havoc/put pressure on their back line in the last ten minutes or something. Energy type. I can’t imagine he’d start a game with the other skillful finishers who have actually shown a knack for the net over the last 18 months and not blowing sitters 20 yards over the net 

44 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It should be in jeopardy but no other striker has stepped up in 2022.

Akinola isn't good enough.

Akindele has faded after a strong start to 2021.

The only other option would be to take one less striker and bring another offensive midfielder.

But do you want to go with only 3 true strikers?

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

It should be in jeopardy but no other striker has stepped up in 2022.

Akinola isn't good enough.

Akindele has faded after a strong start to 2021.

The only other option would be to take one less striker and bring another offensive midfielder.

But do you want to go with only 3 true strikers?

And Ugbo is not really that impressive, regardless of the excitement around him. He has rather weak team play, he is not that versatile positionally, does not hold up from what I've seen, he's just there to lead the line and look for the final touch.

Now there are times we may need that type of player, since we have wing play getting to the end lines and neither David nor Larin are great at going head on for those tight assists from the wing. I can see Ugbo might have a limited role. IMO Cavallini gives us a bit more, that is all. Neither are premium strikers though.