Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

13 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I thought everyone for TFC was great in the 2nd half including Bradley and maybe that's partly to do with the team no longer having to play against the wind and the rain billowing into their faces as was the case in the 1st half. However from the time of the Club America goal through to the Altidore goal, that 20 minute stretch TFC were overall poor IMO and Bradley was one of the worst players on the pitch in that stretch (was one of three players who got beat too easily on the goal but he made lots of other mistakes in that stretch, though he wasn't alone).

That stretch was sketchy, for sure, with all three mids having weak moments either with keeping possession or trying to regain it.  Were the conditions for CA the same in the second half as they were for TFC in the first? 

The weather seemed to calm down in the second half, so I think the conditions were better for CA going forward than they were for TFC playing into the weather in the first half.  Just my observations from the west stand.

6 hours ago, Ivan said:

The weather seemed to calm down in the second half, so I think the conditions were better for CA going forward than they were for TFC playing into the weather in the first half.  Just my observations from the west stand.

Yes, I'd agree with this. Still windy mind you, but it seems more miserable and wet in the first half with even stronger winds.

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yes, I'd agree with this. Still windy mind you, but it seems more miserable and wet in the first half with even stronger winds.

I'm curious to see how much more quickly CA will move the ball horizontally to find openings in the Azteca fixture.  It should be another gripping affair.

13 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Nope. Gerry Gray scored for Canada there, if I am not mistaken. Graham Leggat called the play on TV.

Steve Armitage would likely have called the goal with Leggat doing the colour commentary, I would imagine.

Film footage (minus commentary) of that goal can be found here (still one of the greatest ever scored by a Canadian National team player):

On 2018-04-06 at 2:13 PM, Fort York Redcoat1555362293 said:

He doesn't have to. I think it's pretty obvious he'd like to.

Didn't need to captain to have a massive impact tonight. Did you see him get teary-yed talked about what this club means to him and how he hopes to inspire the next generation of hometown kids? I gotta admit, I wasn't sure about him during Floro's reign, but this kid has won me over big time.

34 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Steve Armitage would likely have called the goal with Leggat doing the colour commentary, I would imagine.

Film footage (minus commentary) of that goal can be found here (still one of the greatest ever scored by a Canadian National team player):

I remember the Mexican teams being sneaky and vicious back then, but that was probably my youthful innocence colouring my perception.  Anyway, they looked tough and wiry, and had a cut-throat, no-nonsense style about them.  The matches seemed very exotic to me.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

great goal...I had forgotten about this one so thanks for bringing back that memory

He really wen

1 hour ago, gator said:

Another very solid effort by Osorio again last night, read the play well to score, made lots of good passes and had some key contributions defensively, he's like a new player since the MLS play offs last year!

I found that he also played more physically, and stood up to challenges more.  He's usually easily possessed by a physical mid-fielder or defender so, I'd love to see him keep that strength in his game.

2 hours ago, gator said:

Another very solid effort by Osorio again last night, read the play well to score, made lots of good passes and had some key contributions defensively, he's like a new player since the MLS play offs last year!

Article in Toronto Star today re Osorio and his transformation from  the 2017 season

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2018/04/10/toronto-fc-advances-to-concacaf-champions-league-final-with-1-1-draw-against-club-america.html

10 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

So, is Osorio the only CMNT player to have ever scored in a competitive game at Estadio Azteca?

I was curious about this too so I did some research. In addition to Gerry Gray, Brian Robinson scored there in a qualifier in 1972. There have also been some goals against non-Mexican teams in that stadium in the Gold Cup and World Cup Qualifiers.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/index.php?t=schedule_new.tpl&genderId=0&seasonKeyword=&tid=2068&venueKeyword=azteca&opponentTeamKeyword=&month=0&year=

Glad that he has cranked it up a notch or two.  But it has always been there, even when he broke in scoring all those goals in his rookie year.  And doesnt anyone remember the strong playoffs he had in 2016?? And then he couldnt buy a start last year when Vasquez came in and Delgado became Vanneys golden child.  I'm waiting for him to have a bad game and then see if Vanney wont start him for the next month.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Glad that he has cranked it up a notch or two.  But it has always been there, even when he broke in scoring all those goals in his rookie year.  And doesnt anyone remember the strong playoffs he had in 2016?? And then he couldnt buy a start last year when Vasquez came in and Delgado became Vanneys golden child.  I'm waiting for him to have a bad game and then see if Vanney wont start him for the next month.  

I think him sitting for a little while is what motivated him to get where he is

Osorio finally figured out he's not a no. 10 after years of feeling miscast. It took Vanney, Floro and Zambrano to tell him he's not creative or decisive enough and to bulk up to be hard-nosed no. 8. 

Glad to see Chapman, Hamilton and Morgan all got their motivation last season by sitting.  I guess sitting for years helped Morgans game??  

Well he was injured and behind Raheem. Most likely it did.

Edited by PopePouri

18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Glad to see Chapman, Hamilton and Morgan all got their motivation last season by sitting.  I guess sitting for years helped Morgans game??  

Did your really interpret what I said to be "sitting on the bench the entire season"??

Osorio played 27 games last season. He started only 9. So its not like he wasn't getting any playing time. The season before he started 26 games and in my opinion did not deserve to be a starter at that time. He is now playing better than he ever has for TFC and it also translated to him playing the best game I have ever seen him play for Canada.

So yes, I do think that him having to fight for a starting spot instead of being handed it has made him better.

Once Chapman and Hamilton earn their starts as well they will also be better off (though in fairness I think at times in the past Hamilton has done enough, but Vanney's obsession with Spencer has kept him from getting playing time)

I thought for sure that Morgan was done with TFC a while ago, but he plays against Club America last week and he is a completely different player from what I remember. Morgan has never played that well for TFC before (though the situation between Morgan and Osorio is not similar, Morgan was more of biding his time and doing what he needed to do for the club rather than fighting for a spot)

I think the team is playing so well as a unit that they’re making everyone look good. I don’t think some players have been individually outstanding but you can’t pick out anything wrong with their game.  Bradley and Giovinco even for instance haven’t been trying to do as much as they did in 2015 and they have looked much cleaner out there if that makes sense and the entire team is benefiting. 

19 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Did your really interpret what I said to be "sitting on the bench the entire season"??

Osorio played 27 games last season. He started only 9. So its not like he wasn't getting any playing time. The season before he started 26 games and in my opinion did not deserve to be a starter at that time. He is now playing better than he ever has for TFC and it also translated to him playing the best game I have ever seen him play for Canada.

So yes, I do think that him having to fight for a starting spot instead of being handed it has made him better.

Once Chapman and Hamilton earn their starts as well they will also be better off (though in fairness I think at times in the past Hamilton has done enough, but Vanney's obsession with Spencer has kept him from getting playing time)

I thought for sure that Morgan was done with TFC a while ago, but he plays against Club America last week and he is a completely different player from what I remember. Morgan has never played that well for TFC before (though the situation between Morgan and Osorio is not similar, Morgan was more of biding his time and doing what he needed to do for the club rather than fighting for a spot)

So Osorio was handed a spot he didnt deserve?? You wanted to see more of Jackson, Collen Warner, Cooper, Endoh et al?  Do you think he would be where he is today if he hadnt gotten the playing time in 2013-2016??  I'm glad Nelson gave him a shot and stuck with him as he matured.  Everyone shits on MLS for not developing players then they complain when players are "gifted" minutes.  Its an investment in the future.  I dont hear anyone complaining how BONO was "gifted" minutes.  Well I guess i did, but it sure paid off nicely for TFC.  

And Morgan isnt fighting for a spot?? Based on......??????   The last 3 years whenever he has been healthy and gotten a match he hasnt looked bad and its usually only a cameo with no chance to shake off the rust and get any sort of momentum going.  Kind of a coincendence eh?  Give Morgan a few starts in a row and he plays alot better than YOU remember them playing in the past.  I guess we'll see...when Vasquez and Morrow are healthy if Osorio and Morgan all of a sudden become crappy again.  

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So Osorio was handed a spot he didnt deserve?? You wanted to see more of Jackson, Collen Warner, Cooper, Endoh et al?  Do you think he would be where he is today if he hadnt gotten the playing time in 2013-2016??  I'm glad Nelson gave him a shot and stuck with him as he matured.  Everyone shits on MLS for not developing players then they complain when players are "gifted" minutes.  Its an investment in the future.  I dont hear anyone complaining how BONO was "gifted" minutes.  Well I guess i did, but it sure paid off nicely for TFC.  

What in the world are you talking about? I said he didn't deserve to be starting last year. Where was Jackson and Warner last year? Not on Toronto. Where was Cooper and Endoh? Further down the pecking order than Osorio was. Why is Nelsen even coming into this argument?? He's been gone for years. I never said that Osorio never deserved to start ever in previous years. But did he deserve to start last year in a midfield with Bradley, Vasquez, and Delgado? No he didn't. Does he with those three in midfield this year? Yes he does. Osorio has deservingly won  his spot back from Delgago IMO.

If you're not going to read my post and start bringing up rosters from years ago, don't respond

Edited by deschamp86

10 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

What in the world are you talking about? I said he didn't deserve to be starting last year. Where was Jackson and Warner last year? Not on Toronto. Where was Cooper and Endoh? Further down the pecking order than Osorio was. Why is Nelsen even coming into this argument?? He's been gone for years. I never said that Osorio never deserved to start ever in previous years. But did he deserve to start last year in a midfield with Bradley, Vasquez, and Delgado? No he didn't. Does he with those three in midfield this year? Yes he does. Osorio has deservingly won  his spot back from Delgago IMO.

If you're not going to read my post and start bringing up rosters from years ago, don't respond

Exactly. Everyone remembers the slow start. That was partially down to an imbalance in midfield because of Osorio didn't move the ball quick enough and did not complimenting Bradley defensively. Hence, Delgado coming in and TFC going on that historic run.

It took Zambrano and a year of transition for him to win his spot back and light up the playoffs.  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/jonathan-osorio-tfc-toronto-fc-mls-major-league-soccer-canadian-octavio-zambrano/

Edited by PopePouri