Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

Well under the circumstances yeah he has thrived under TFC's system because he has been playing in the MLS. If he were to stay in the MLS he can actually become a bigger star. If he were to leave to go anywhere else he probably would ride the bench.

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think he is a complete enough player to be anywhere near top flight Spain. 2nd division is another story. 

People forget MLS defending is a sham, the spaces are huge, the sloppiness tactically is notorious. I mean, all this talk coming off a 4-4, I mean, wow. The pressure on the ball in MLS, and in that game particularly, was awful, and on top of it the missed passing is rampant, you have no one pushing you and you still can't hit it right. That is MLS.

I mean: if Piatti has no offers from a top league, why should Osorio? The former is twice the player and, for me, could merit a top 4 league look.

Piatti played in Serie A with Lecce in 2010-11 and they were relegated, so it's not as if he never had his chance at a top 4 league.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Piatti played in Serie A with Lecce in 2010-11 and they were relegated, so it's not as if he never had his chance at a top 4 league.

Maybe I overstated Piatti and, in later posts, balanced what I said about Osorio. But just look at the players, the intensity on the ball, the presence, how the face a defender with the ball on their feet.

Piatti is a better overall player, he can handle the pressure and the tight spaces. For me he is top level quality, one of the top ten in MLS or even top 5.

Osorio, on the other hand, is on a very interesting curve where he's improving, and of course playing time is very important in that regard. Lots of mediocre players improve with the confidence of their coaches, and that is his case. But I don't think any team in any of the 4 best top flight leagues in Europe is looking at him.

Oso has been huge because he’s hitting his chances. He’s always been decent in link up play.  But he’s definitely more proficient in front of goal lately.  Pressure off other tfc strikers.

ricketts on the other hand. Should he really start or should they go with Hamilton up top?

44 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Maybe I overstated Piatti and, in later posts, balanced what I said about Osorio. But just look at the players, the intensity on the ball, the presence, how the face a defender with the ball on their feet.

Piatti is a better overall player, he can handle the pressure and the tight spaces. For me he is top level quality, one of the top ten in MLS or even top 5.

Osorio, on the other hand, is on a very interesting curve where he's improving, and of course playing time is very important in that regard. Lots of mediocre players improve with the confidence of their coaches, and that is his case. But I don't think any team in any of the 4 best top flight leagues in Europe is looking at him.

Yeah, I think most of us would agree that Piatti is the better player. He is also an 84 - Osorio is a 92. We are talking about a mature player and a developing one.

I too find it hard to believe a club in a top 4 league would want Osorio at this time, but if they did, it is probably because of that very interesting curve in his improvement, not because he is a better player than Piatti. He isn't.

One thing Osorio has added are those runs into space from deeper midfield positions. He is getting a lot of chances that way, rather than creating something out of nothing like Piatti brilliantly does.

On 6/9/2018 at 11:19 PM, jpg75 said:

Germany makes sense because he'd count as a domestic. Probably make more money too, but that would depend on the clubs involved. Mid-table B1 is where i'd guess he'll end up, signing a contract next month for a free transfer in January. As far as he and his agent are concerned they may as well max. out his salary because they only get 10% of any transfer fee (which won't be as much as anyone thinks).

I think his game is suited to an environment where the pace of play is slow and where there is a lot of reliance on short passing.  He does that really well and always has.  One would think Spain would be a good fit. 

22 hours ago, Obinna said:

One thing Osorio has added are those runs into space from deeper midfield positions. He is getting a lot of chances that way, rather than creating something out of nothing like Piatti brilliantly does.

He did that in his rookie season, driving into the box to get onto the end of passes.  But as the attacking personnel changed (improved?) drastically and more often than not he was playing on the left side of the midfield, his role changed to more of a linking player.  I'm glad to see that his nose for getting into scoring positions has returned.

To use acting analogies, I still see him supporting cast guy as opposed to being a leading man.  He's having a great run in many areas and I hope it keeps going.  I wish we were playing some bigger time NT opponents in the next several months to see how his form here translates to that stage?

Edited by BearcatSA

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

I think his game is suited to an environment where the pace of play is slow and where there is a lot of reliance on short passing.  He does that really well and always has.  One would think Spain would be a good fit. 

I would have thought you would say the pace of play is high, precise and fast in Spain, because as Cruyff once said "you make the ball run so you don't have to"?

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I would have thought you would say the pace of play is high, precise and fast in Spain, because as Cruyff once said "you make the ball run so you don't have to"?

Then Osorio needs to play in Italy in the Serie A or in The Netherlands in the Eredivisie

• 1 month later...

Osorio just keeps scoring.  Clearly he is extra motivated in this his final contract year. By all accounts, it looks like he's as good as gone this off season.  I'm hoping he moves to Liga Mx, just a slight step up in level, a lot more money, not too far out of his comfort zone, and his experiences would directly translate to WCQ.

Excerpts from a couple of recent articles I hadn't seen before:

Bezbatchenko said he speaks regularly with Osorio’s representative, but did say dealing the 26-year-old before he becomes a free agent remains an option.

“All of these things are in the conversation, are in play, and we’re talking. But there are a lot of clubs that are interested in him, both south and over in Europe. We want to make sure that he feels like he’s just respected, right? In either direction, whether or not he doesn’t accept an offer or we decide not to get where he needs to go — whatever it is. I want to make sure that he’s respected for the player that he is.”

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-transfer-news-jonathan-osorio/

And from Neil Davidson:

While soccer is a global sport, it can be a small world. Others will have taken notice of Osorio's skills.

Osorio, who already has international experience from a stint in Uruguay prior to joining Toronto, has made no secret of his soccer ambitions. He wants to test himself at the highest level.

But he acknowledges he is not sure of what lies ahead.

"I don't know if it's the right time, to be honest. And I don't know it it's going to be that simple that I wake up one morning and know it's the time (to move on)," he said after training Monday. "If it comes, it will come when it's supposed to."

"I don't know what's going to happen," he added. "I just know I'm here now and I'm happy here in Toronto. So we'll see."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/jonathan-osorios-future-looks-bright/ar-BBL0CRa

Hilariously sad how the best Canadians get treated the worst - I.e. De Rosario and now Osorio.  Loyal guys who are our best players and make pennies compared to foreign talent. 

Anyways this is an incredible season for Osorio.  One of the best seasons by a Canadian ever in North America .. 13 goals in 28 appearances from midfield!! Those are best XI superstar numbers (but we all know that won’t happen).  This guy had 3 goals all last season and 17 career goals for TFC heading into this year.  Get the money you deserve son - get out of Toronto move overseas and watch them beg for you back with DP money years down the road. Apparently that’s the only way to get respect and paid here. 

The fact he isn’t an all star is so laughable.

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The fact he isn’t an all star is so laughable.

Sorry, where was TFC in the standings when the all-star team was named? Nowhere. I'm not saying that he's not good enough to be an all-star, but there are reasons why he isn't. He has had a good year, but not good enough to be an all-star.

I'm looking at players who got in, play a similar position and they all have a higher whoscored rating. The only midfielder who had a lower rating was Zahibo and he's a defensive midfielder. I think Piette has a better case for being an all-star. Not saying that he deserves it, but I could see a player I would pull to put him in. Can't say the same for Osorio.

6 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Sorry, where was TFC in the standings when the all-star team was named? Nowhere. I'm not saying that he's not good enough to be an all-star, but there are reasons why he isn't. He has had a good year, but not good enough to be an all-star.

I'm looking at players who got in, play a similar position and they all have a higher whoscored rating. The only midfielder who had a lower rating was Zahibo and he's a defensive midfielder. I think Piette has a better case for being an all-star. Not saying that he deserves it, but I could see a player I would pull to put him in. Can't say the same for Osorio.

And Orlando/Yotún have been better than Toronto/Osorio?  Jonathan Dos Santos has had a better year?  Or he’s there because he’s a name and Mexican? 

Osorio has 7 goals and 2 assists in 18 matches this season.  Dos Santos and Yotún combined have 4 goals and 4 assists.

Edited by Keegan

I love Oso and maybe i'm looking into this too much, but his best season prior to this came when TFC really struggled in 2013. TFC really struggled in 2018 and he is putting up monster numbers. Is there something to that, I wonder?

I'd love to see TFC bounce back and finish strong with Oso keeping up this pace. It's possible he hits 20 goals in all competitions this year. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I love Oso and maybe i'm looking into this too much, but his best season prior to this came when TFC really struggled in 2013. TFC really struggled in 2018 and he is putting up monster numbers. Is there something to that, I wonder?

I'd love to see TFC bounce back and finish strong with Oso keeping up this pace. It's possible he hits 20 goals in all competitions this year. 

Yes I believe there is something to that in that in both years when stars disappeared or underperformed he was given more chances and stepped up.

12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

And Orlando/Yotún have been better than Toronto/Osorio?  Jonathan Dos Santos has had a better year?  Or he’s there because he’s a name and Mexican? 

Osorio has 7 goals and 2 assists in 18 matches this season.  

Not really like for like. Osorio, fairly or not, is up against players like Almiron for an Allstar spot. Not to say there isn't anything to your theory of Canadian players not being en vouge. I do lend some credence to that idea.

Another factor I think is perceptual: Oso is not percieved as one of the best players at TFC. This season? Maybe, and that's what matters, but we all know in peoples minds, when you talk about top TFC players, there is Seba, Jozy, Michael, and Vazquez. I think reputation comes into play a bit. That being said, if he puts up another season like this next year, he'll cement his name in that group and have a great chance at becoming an All Star. This season still has the feel of a one-off, not that it should matter if we look at it rationally, but people aren't rational.

As an aside, I don't think there is an American CM/CAM having a better season statistically, is there?

Edited by Obinna

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Osorio has 7 goals and 2 assists in 18 matches this season.  Dos Santos and Yotún combined have 4 goals and 4 assists.

How many matches have those players missed because they played in a thing called the World Cup? In MLS, Yotun has been better and on a better team when the  squad was named. I give you dos Santos though. I thought for some reason he got voted in. It also hurts Osorio that he probably isn't the player you focus on and it might be the reason why he's not in also. TFC already had 1 player in and it is their best player this year. It would be really hard to give the more than one.

1 minute ago, Blackdude said:

How many matches have those players missed because they played in a thing called the World Cup? In MLS, Yotun has been better and on a better team when the  squad was named. I give you dos Santos though. I thought for some reason he got voted in. It also hurts Osorio that he probably isn't the player you focus on and it might be the reason why he's not in also. TFC already had 1 player in and it is their best player this year. It would be really hard to give the more than one.

I think the whole TFC is awful and they already have players so we can’t justify Osorio.. he’s been our best player all year so it’s a shame. 

Those players missed matches but combined they’ve played more matches and still can’t match Osorios numbers.  

22 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I think you are wrong there. 4+4=8 8>7 4+4=8 8>2

Nope, Jonathan Dos Santos has 1 goal and 3 assists in 11 games. Yotún has 3 goals and 6 assists in 13.

so 7 goals and 2 assists in 18 for Osorio.

4 goals and 9 assists in 24 for Dos Santos/Yotún. Closer than I thought (I had sites telling me JDS had 0 assists and Yotún had 4) but Oso still edges that.

38 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Isn't Yotun a coaches pick? Perhaps Tata is an admirer and it's more about that and less about his league play this season versus Osorio's.

Edited by Obinna