Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

12 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Personally I wouldn't mind it if he stayed on TFC staying in the MLS. He has become that important to TFC. Furthermore, on the slight chance he does leave then if Scotland is showing a lot of interest if Celtic and or Rangers are showing interest and he jumps ship it will help him to grow/mature more as a player.

I would prefer a move to Celtic or Rangers than a move to Mexico to be honest. I think at his age (26), it would be easier to spring board later to a higher level from those teams than from Mexico. Most players exported from Liga MX are either near that age or younger when they move to Europe. But I think if he has a few good seasons at Rangers, for example, mid table clubs from top 5 leagues would perhaps take notice, even at the age of say 28, for example. Would such clubs sign him from Liga MX at that age? Possibly, but less likely imo.

Edited by Obinna

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would prefer a move to Celtic or Rangers than a move to Mexico to be honest. I think at his age (26), it would be easier to spring board later to a higher level from those teams than from Mexico. Most players exported from Liga MX are either near that age or younger when they move to Europe. But I think if he has a few good seasons at Rangers, for example, mid table clubs from top 5 leagues would perhaps take notice, even at the age of say 28, for example. Would such clubs sign him from Liga MX at that age? Possibly, but less likely imo.

Thinking about it you are right and honestly I can see him fitting in on either team. Personally I would want to see him on Celtic.

29 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Not necessarily but even if that is true then he can still go to La Liga anyway because even though he is Canadian he has Spanish roots.

Yes necessarily. It is the policy of Chivas to only sign Mexicans.

I think a move to a team like Deportivo would be interesting. Like you say, he has latino heritage, so the language would not be an issue. There is also a Canadian connection of course, with Julian De Guzman having four good years there, along with Piette and Fisk suiting up for their B team in recent years. Furthermore, it would be a unique challenge helping them get back to La Liga after being relegated. Segunda is probably a level where he can get enough playing time while also being challenged and forced to improve.

There have been recent rumours that Costa Rican international Borges is on his way out (presumably because of the relegation) and has MLS suitors. Would be cool to see some kind of player swap with him going to Toronto and Osorio going to Depor. Both are midfielders but Borges probably has the ability to cover at CB if needed.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Aside from his goal and assist how about his dummy on the 3-3 goal?  That was fantastic - this guy has completely turned it around, he’s a legitimate star like Kljestan not a massive name but could play at a club like Anderlecht.

In Belgium in their league? If that is the case then you know what that actually may not be that bad for him

7 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Aside from his goal and assist how about his dummy on the 3-3 goal?  That was fantastic - this guy has completely turned it around, he’s a legitimate star like Kljestan not a massive name but could play at a club like Anderlecht.

Yeah, that was fantastic. For years he has shown his ability to play like this, but now he is just doing it consistently. 

Anderlecht is one such club I would be happy to see him move to, but like I originally said, I don't think he has to necessarily move to keep on growing. I think he is hitting a sweet spot at Toronto right now, and there is plenty to accomplish still.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, that was fantastic. For years he has shown his ability to play like this, but now he is just doing it consistently. 

Anderlecht is one such club I would be happy to see him move to, but like I originally said, I don't think he has to necessarily move to keep on growing. I think he is hitting a sweet spot at Toronto right now, and there is plenty to accomplish still.

Yes there is most definitely and if he puts on these kind of performances on a consistent basis not only could he make a case for keeping his place within the Canadian national team but also even potentially one day even captaining the side.

I could see Osorio doing well at top clubs in Belguim or Scotland because of the similarity talent wise to MLS. Really he'd be pulling off a lateral move with the added benefit of playing Champs league qualifiers and likely Europa League games. Osorio is actually of Columbian heritage, not spanish, so aside from knowing the language I don't really see the link. Germany seems much more likely to me as he's actually being linked there by the press and his Canadian passport means he's not considered a foreigner. I'd be super interested in which clubs in the Bundesliga are taking a look. Maybe a club like Werder Bremen is a likely destination? Or am I aiming too high with that one? They like to do most of their shopping outside the Bundesliga. Perhaps someone who follows the German football more closely can give me an idea which clubs might be most likely to look at an MLSer.

Edited by BradMack

RB Leipzig

Werder Bremen

VFL Wolfsburg

Stuttgart

Hanover

Some of the clubs in Bundesliga he can actually have a chance on. Playing in the Bundesliga gives him a chance to go up against the world's best and some of the world's best players play in Germany so he gains much more experience that way.

22 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

RB Leipzig

Werder Bremen

VFL Wolfsburg

Stuttgart

Hanover

Some of the clubs in Bundesliga he can actually have a chance on. Playing in the Bundesliga gives him a chance to go up against the world's best and some of the world's best players play in Germany so he gains much more experience that way.

I think it would be pretty near impossible for Oso to see the Field at RB Leipzig. They have a lot of cash to throw around and their midfield already includes a few full internationals that are much more highly rated, and it is likely they spend even more after the World Cup. I could see them trying to land a big player post World Cup to make a splash, such as Hakim Ziyech or before today's game I would've said Aleksandr Golovin (seems likely he'll be so hyped he'll be going to the prem now). They'll be challenging Bayern soon. 

The other teams I could see as possibilities though. Werder Bremen seem particularly thin in midfield with some key players leaving the club this summer. I think Hanover have major holes there too. Stuttgart also have possible spots in midfield even though they had a great year. Wolfsburg had a nightmare season and might be looking at a lot of changes. 

Osorio is having a career year and I love seeing him having success, but isn’t talk of him playing/starting in one of the big 5 a little premature?  If he starts in Toronto, arguably the best team in NA, and plays 90 percent of the games he is basically a starter on the CMNT.  Hopefully TFC will pay him what he deserves and keep him as a starter, and he develops into star at the MLS level in the next few years.  I don’t know that he has done enough in this year to warrant talk of Spain or Germany.

1 minute ago, Club Linesman said:

Osorio is having a career year and I love seeing him having success, but isn’t talk of him playing/starting in one of the big 5 a little premature?  If he starts in Toronto, arguably the best team in NA, and plays 90 percent of the games he is basically a starter on the CMNT.  Hopefully TFC will pay him what he deserves and keep him as a starter, and he develops into star at the MLS level in the next few years.  I don’t know that he has done enough in this year to warrant talk of Spain or Germany.

For me it is that reportedly he's getting transfer interest from teams in the Bundesliga. That's the only reason I'm talking about this. I was sure after the CCL run he went on that Mexican clubs would be interested, but I never expected Bundesliga teams, there are apparently several interested. 

I don't really understand the La Liga talk either though, the link would be that he speaks spanish as a result of growing up in a Columbian household. I also think that people see clubs of this level going after him and then assuming clubs in the other big leagues will be interested as well. But I think people are forgetting that his Canadian passport gives him an advantage going to Germany, not Spain or France or Italy. 

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

I think it would be pretty near impossible for Oso to see the Field at RB Leipzig. They have a lot of cash to throw around and their midfield already includes a few full internationals that are much more highly rated, and it is likely they spend even more after the World Cup. I could see them trying to land a big player post World Cup to make a splash, such as Hakim Ziyech or before today's game I would've said Aleksandr Golovin (seems likely he'll be so hyped he'll be going to the prem now). They'll be challenging Bayern soon. 

The other teams I could see as possibilities though. Werder Bremen seem particularly thin in midfield with some key players leaving the club this summer. I think Hanover have major holes there too. Stuttgart also have possible spots in midfield even though they had a great year. Wolfsburg had a nightmare season and might be looking at a lot of changes. 

So Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Hanover and Wolfsburg would be great fits for him in the Bundesliga either way because they are in need of talent. However, if TFC do manage to re-sign him and keep him around then they can truly build the team around him.

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

I don't think he is a complete enough player to be anywhere near top flight Spain. 2nd division is another story. 

People forget MLS defending is a sham, the spaces are huge, the sloppiness tactically is notorious. I mean, all this talk coming off a 4-4, I mean, wow. The pressure on the ball in MLS, and in that game particularly, was awful, and on top of it the missed passing is rampant, you have no one pushing you and you still can't hit it right. That is MLS.

I mean: if Piatti has no offers from a top league, why should Osorio? The former is twice the player and, for me, could merit a top 4 league look.

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think he is a complete enough player to be anywhere near top flight Spain. 2nd division is another story. 

People forget MLS defending is a sham, the spaces are huge, the sloppiness tactically is notorious. I mean, all this talk coming off a 4-4, I mean, wow. The pressure on the ball in MLS, and in that game particularly, was awful, and on top of it the missed passing is rampant, you have no one pushing you and you still can't hit it right. That is MLS.

I mean: if Piatti has no offers from a top league, why should Osorio? The former is twice the player and, for me, could merit a top 4 league look.

I think one of Oso's biggest positives is his ability to handle the ball under pressure, he's got really quick feet. He did really well playing against Liga MX teams. I think it is actually what makes him stand out in MLS where a lot of other players look very ordinary. 

As for Piatti, I'm sure teams have kicked the tires, but he's on huge money at MTL and it would take a big offer for MTL to sell him. He's over 30 and you've got to think the types of teams he'd fit would be looking to make investments in younger players. Not a lot of 33 year olds leaving MLS and signing for big clubs. 

17 minutes ago, BradMack said:

I think one of Oso's biggest positives is his ability to handle the ball under pressure, he's got really quick feet. He did really well playing against Liga MX teams. I think it is actually what makes him stand out in MLS where a lot of other players look very ordinary. 

As for Piatti, I'm sure teams have kicked the tires, but he's on huge money at MTL and it would take a big offer for MTL to sell him. He's over 30 and you've got to think the types of teams he'd fit would be looking to make investments in younger players. Not a lot of 33 year olds leaving MLS and signing for big clubs. 

You are right about Piatti, but he does look like a really elite player on most touches.

One of our problems, affecting the future of some talent, is we are not showing off what we have now with the national team. 

Maybe I am being too hard on Osorio, but he plays in one of the most demanding positions, you have to be rather elite in a top league to play where he does, because you are talking about maybe one guy like that per team, or two in that role, and that is not a lot of players overall in the big four leagues.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

All he has to do is stay consistent for TFC and in doing that he also attracts more interest from bigger name clubs. In the process in doing all of that he actually gets his name out there even though it is already out there in MLS but if he stays in MLS and leaves TFC then I could even see him on the Whitecaps or see him on the Impact or Sounders should he leave TFC and stay in MLS.

Besiktas in Turkey...if he were to go to Turkey to play his football that actually would be good because Turkey is probably one of the most underrated leagues in the whole world and elite world class players also play in the Turkish league as well

Although I didn't see the incident myself I've heard a couple of reports indicating that Yamil Asad bent forward and stuck his butt out in a "kiss my ass" motion well after he scored DC United's 4th goal. This is why Osorio went over to tell him off and good on him for being the only TFC player to do so if that is the case. If TSN had a Coach's Corner for soccer you'd have Don Cherry pointing out the sweet irony that Osorio would then set up the tying goal for TFC while Asad was the guy who didn't bother to track Hagglund's extra presence in the box (he was also the guy who didn't track Osorio's run on TFC's first goal).

16 hours ago, Tg11 said:

However, if TFC do manage to re-sign him and keep him around then they can truly build the team around him.

Osorio is not good enough at the moment to build the team around him. I doubt he will ever be that type of player. Any arguably lateral movement (Mexico, Belgium, Scotland) is a big risk unless he gets paid a lot. He could just end up on their bench not playing at all. In Toronto if he can re-sign with a decent contract at least he knows he can play well within their system.