Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

32 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

What in the world are you talking about? I said he didn't deserve to be starting last year. Where was Jackson and Warner last year? Not on Toronto. Where was Cooper and Endoh? Further down the pecking order than Osorio was. Why is Nelsen even coming into this argument?? He's been gone for years. I never said that Osorio never deserved to start ever in previous years. But did he deserve to start last year in a midfield with Bradley, Vasquez, and Delgado? No he didn't. Does he with those three in midfield this year? Yes he does. Osorio has deservingly won  his spot back from Delgago IMO.

If you're not going to read my post and start bringing up rosters from years ago, don't respond

Arent Delgado and Osorio both starting ( both started all 6 CCL games)?? How did he win a spot back from Delgado??  When Vasquez in healthy we'll see who Vanney starts.  

And maybe you should read what you wrote.  You said he didnt deserve his starts in 2016 (before Vasquez).  And I was pointing out he did, and named of some of the less than stellar players he started in front/competed against in the previous years.  If he was a starter in 2014/15, why would his starts in 2016 be "gifted" or handed to him.  

"Osorio played 27 games last season. He started only 9. So its not like he wasn't getting any playing time. The season before he started 26 games and in my opinion did not deserve to be a starter at that time. He is now playing better than he ever has for TFC and it also translated to him playing the best game I have ever seen him play for Canada."

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Arent Delgado and Osorio both starting ( both started all 6 CCL games)?? How did he win a spot back from Delgado??  When Vasquez in healthy we'll see who Vanney starts.  

And maybe you should read what you wrote.  You said he didnt deserve his starts in 2016 (before Vasquez).  And I was pointing out he did, and named of some of the less than stellar players he started in front/competed against in the previous years.  If he was a starter in 2014/15, why would his starts in 2016 be "gifted" or handed to him.  

"Osorio played 27 games last season. He started only 9. So its not like he wasn't getting any playing time. The season before he started 26 games and in my opinion did not deserve to be a starter at that time. He is now playing better than he ever has for TFC and it also translated to him playing the best game I have ever seen him play for Canada."

I said in my opinion Osorio has won his spot back. I think both him and Delgado have played well, but think he is more deserving deserving to keep his spot once Vasquez returns, should Vanney stay with a 3 man midfield.

In regards to your other point, my apologies. I messed up my wording. I had meant that he didn't deserve to start last year

Hmm, TFC, the Leafs and the Raptors have all developed deep benches and are using internal competition to keep players improving themselves.  It takes money to have a deep bench, so thank you MLSE and Leafs fans for supporting this philosophy.  It seems to be a recipe for success so far.

Even though some players aren't getting game time, they get meaningful competition during practice sessions.  The bench players have a much larger role than just subbing on towards the end of games.  Game experience may not even be the main driver for improvement anymore.  So, it's not that surprising that Osorio and Morgan improved out of sight of us fans.

P.S. I'm pretty sure I've heard Vanney mention that it's performance during practice rather than games that mostly drives his selection of starters.

Edited by rkomar

Development path and needs will be different for every player and every player will have a different trajectory and ceiling.  Morgan played early in his career for some poor TFC teams and I think plateaued for a lot of years.  With better players around him and in a better system (and also an opportunity due to injury) he has thrived lately.  Other players in the same situation for that period of time might have stagnated completely but I think Ashtone has a good head on his shoulders.  

My only point is that we always want more PT for our young players and rightly so, but PT is not the only thing that matters.  If Ash had thrown in the towel and gone to the USL and been a starting LB there the last 3 years with tons of PT, I don't think he'd be the player he is today.  It is too easy to fall into bad habits in a league like USL.  In some cases training with better players can be better than playing time with worse players.

Shame they lost tonight.

TFC has looked like a team of destiny, but not tonight. That team looked like Chivas. Issues with money. 16th in the league. Might get relegated. They are putting everything into this, just like Toronto. 

Lady luck was on their side. Every bounce seemed to go their way. They match up well with Toronto, just like RB do. They are chaotic and on a day where Toronto's luck seemingly all ran out at once, everything Chivas seemed to touch turned to gold.

Osorio and the others are cleared from yellows now, so I think we'll see a much more agressive approach down in Mexico.

Whether it will be enough will remain to be seen.

Regardless, it will be one more high pressure game down in Mexico for Osorio. Excited for him to take these experiences into the NT team, no matter of what the result is next week.

I remember a number of games when Osorio didn't start during Zambrano's era, but the only games I remember him being not being in the 18 man roster was when he was either injured or part of the Gold Cup squad, so probably a bit of an exaggeration from Zambrano (even if the sentiment is a nice one to see).

His confidence on the ball in keeping possession with jukes and turns has really impressed me during this great run.  He had one or two passes last night which I think he'd like to have back, but he has been excellent so far this season.  As mentioned earlier, he's hitting his prime now so I hope it keeps going and translates into bigger and better things. 

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Not very often you see a CDN getting honored like that.  DeG in 2007 for best player in gold cup, Corrazin, Forrest and Hastings in 2000 Gold cup.  2010 Danish player of year for Atiba, Dero MLS MVP.  I sure hope he keeps this up, would be nice to see him bang in some goals this fall for canada.  

I think watching Osorio win the golden boot will chip away at the stereotype that Canadians suck at soccer.

A lot of eyes watching this one.

Many more than our 2017 Gold Cup run.

Edited by Obinna

18 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Not very often you see a CDN getting honored like that.  DeG in 2007 for best player in gold cup, Corrazin, Forrest and Hastings in 2000 Gold cup.  2010 Danish player of year for Atiba, Dero MLS MVP.  I sure hope he keeps this up, would be nice to see him bang in some goals this fall for canada.  

Alphonso Davies just won the golden boot and best young player in 2017

so that means that the current holders of golden boots in the top club and national team competition in concacaf are Canadian. And who says we can’t score? ?

Edited by Keegan

Also made the tournament's "Best 11" along with Giovinco, a Panamanian player that I understand every NYRB wanted to murder after the 2nd leg, Lodeiro and as many as 6 Chivas players, which seems a little extravagant

https://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/article/2018-sccl-best-xi

2018 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League
Best XI

Goalkeeper: Rodolfo Cota (CD Guadalajara)
Defender: Oswaldo Alanis (CD Guadalajara)
Defender: Alejandro Mayorga (CD Guadalajara)
Defender: Michael Murillo (New York Red Bulls)
Defender: Edwin Hernandez (CD Guadalajara)
Midfielder: Jonathan Osorio (Toronto FC)
Midfielder: Mateus Uribe (Club America)
Midfielder: Nicolas Lodeiro (Seattle Sounders)
Midfielder: Isaac Brizuela (CD Guadalajara)
Forward: Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC)
Forward: Rodolfo Pizarro (CD Guadalajara)

Can't really argue with Pizarro, but Altidore scored some big goals in this competition and was very valuable, as was Michael Bradley.

What about Vdw? He was pretty solid and played almost every minute, aside from a single half.

The winning team is going to get the lion's share of the accolades and undeestandable so.

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Can't really argue with Pizarro, but Altidore scored some big goals in this competition and was very valuable, as was Michael Bradley.

What about Vdw? He was pretty solid and played almost every minute, aside from a single half.

The winning team is going to get the lion's share of the accolades and undeestandable so.

You expect the winning team to get some, maybe more than any other team but I wouldn't say the lion's share like they did here - unless they had a truly dominant tournament, and the only team they dominated was from the Dominican Republic, not a country known (at this stage in their history at least) as a hotbed of domestic soccer excellence.

15 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

You expect the winning team to get some, maybe more than any other team but I wouldn't say the lion's share like they did here - unless they had a truly dominant tournament, and the only team they dominated was from the Dominican Republic, not a country known (at this stage in their history at least) as a hotbed of domestic soccer excellence.

Yeah I agree with that, it's maybe a few selections too Chivas heavy. I think you could have squeezed one of the aformentioned TFC players in there, or perhaps a Club America player.

Ibargun wad very good against TFC and I never watched any of their QF or Round of 16 games, but I can imagine he put in some good shifts.

I though Lodiero was good but perhapd not good enough to warrent a spot, considering Seattle only made it to the quarters and he essentially only played 4 matches. Bradley played double that.

Edited by Obinna

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...