Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

TFC is in a tough position here. Is this Osorio's true level or is he having his career year? At 26, I would be inclined to lock him up for the standard MLS 2+2 contract at a solid TAM level they could buy down, say $500-$600k/year, which would get all of his statistically peak years with some downside protection in case of regression.

9 minutes ago, RS said:

Jonathan dos Santos is a DM for LA Galaxy. Yoshi Yotun is a DM for Orlando City. Why are we talking about their goals and assists?

That’s a stretch to say either plays as a defensive midfielder.. they’re a lot closer to Osorio than Piette or Bradley position wise.  Also Yotún has played as an attacking midfielder at times.  Dos Santos is a central mid. 

I admittedly haven’t seen much of LAG, I watch quite a bit of Orlando matches to see Johnson/ Laryea.  The bottom line is that Osorio was more deserving than his teammates on the AG team and some others, unlucky because it’s politics.  Peruvians and Mexicans attract fans.. Canadians don’t.

Edited by Keegan

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

That’s a stretch to say either plays as a defensive midfielder.. they’re a lot closer to Osorio than Piette or Bradley position wise.  Also Yotún has played as an attacking midfielder at times.  Dos Santos is a central mid. 

Perhaps Yotun and Dos Santos play a little further forward at times than Piette and Bradley, but I also think Osorio plays closer to goal more often than Yotun and Dos Santos. Either way, I suspect it is down more to Tata's preference than Oso being statistically better and getting hard done by. I am pretty confident Yotun was a coach's pick and Dos Santos also, but less certain on the latter.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Isn't Yotun a coaches pick? Perhaps Tata is an admirer and it's more about that and less about his league play this season versus Osorio's.

Coach's pick. Tata has also not  coached against Osorio this year. He has coached against dos Santos and Yotun. Also, I think both are a lot more responsible defensively than Osorio. 

2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Coach's pick. Tata has also not  coached against Osorio this year. He has coached against dos Santos and Yotun.

Well yeah - they are defensive players. 

They can get forward too, of course, but it's not their M.O.

That's why I said it's apples and oranges.

Edited by Obinna

Guys let's be serious. I am a huge fan of Osorio but he is not in Yotun's league. In terms of technique, vision, goal scoring ability, and  experience playing at the highest levels of this game, there is a vast ocean between Yotun and Osorio.  

If Osorio was Peruvian, he wouldn't have made the Peruvian national team for the World Cup, he's just not at that level. Yotun was the General of Peru's midfield.  

Osorio has been excellent at passing and holding for several years now.  In prior years he’s had lots of chances but would sky it or hit it wide.  This year the big difference is that he takes that extra second and makes the chances count.  To me that is more maturity than anything.

I think this is his peak level for the next 3-4 years.  I consider him an automatic starter for every game in the next cycle at this point along with Davies, Piette and Hoilett.

You dont judge a player in his role first and foremost by the goals they score.  But, as i have said in past,  if he (or any CM) can get something like 5-10, thats a plus, puts you in an elite level and draws attention. He has twelve in all competitions.  

If there was an issue i had in the past with his play (i havent  had many) it was that some years he wasnt close to 5-10.  

As for comparaisons to dos santos who has been named as all-stars, dos santos has a greater pedigree.  Thats Ok. Soccer is about pedigree.  I would probably also vote for for him ahead of Osorio based on that. 

Edited by Free kick

On 7/26/2018 at 7:23 PM, baulderdash77 said:

Osorio has been excellent at passing and holding for several years now.  In prior years he’s had lots of chances but would sky it or hit it wide.  This year the big difference is that he takes that extra second and makes the chances count.  To me that is more maturity than anything.

I think this is his peak level for the next 3-4 years.  I consider him an automatic starter for every game in the next cycle at this point along with Davies, Piette and Hoilett.

I am a big Osorio fan but you would put him automatically ahead of Arfield??  I'd have to think on that one.  

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

Oso has played so consistently well that, for the first time in my mind, I am not sure he doesn’t start a head of Arfield. Won’t really know who should start until we see the Nats play a meaningful game. 

I love Osorio, but come on, Arfield is a former PROVEN Premier League midfielder, still no comparison

Edited by LeoH037

12 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I love Osorio, but come on, Arfield is a former PROVEN Premier League midfielder, still no comparison

He is not playing in the premier league now. Unless you mean Scottish prem :)

Edited by Free kick

Last night Toronto put on a clinic of what they can look like and Osorio looked fantastic out there.  The link of play between Bradley and Osorio and Vasquez was great and then the attacking trio of Vasquez, Osorio and Giovinco was superb.  

I don’t think I’ve seen Oso look as good as he’s been these last few weeks ever.  He is perfectly in form right now.

7 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Arfield is of course ahead of Osorio if healthy, let’s not forget he’s easily one of our top 3 players.  But both can be on the pitch at once. 

This. They should both start with Hutch or Piette as the DM. Oso has proved in the MLS cup final/ Concacaf CL/this MLS season that he has moved his game to a much higher level and can perform in big games....we need that quality in our starting lineup. Personally I hope he moves to a better league next season. I get the feeling he has more to offer and the timing is good with him brimming with confidence. I don't think he will get the respect he deserves until he plays in Europe/ Liga MX. Not unlike the corporate world....you have to move to climb the ladder.

I agree, now is the time to move.  You don’t  want to be wondering what could have been like us with derosario.  If he could get to a higher level I think he can push his game to another level yet.. he’s handled all challenges over the past couple years great and his Canada performances he’s also improved.

His second half performance was a thing of beauty, he is dangerous every time he has the ball in the attacking half with his passing and new found ability to score, he set up 3 excellent chances that should have been finished and of course chipped in one of his own with a well timed run,! Did anyone notice that perfectly timed tackle to win the ball back down the left flank in the defensive half, he's got all round game and is like a new addition to our MNT pool!

My favourite play from last night was one early on at the halfway line when he was under pressure and threw a nice body feint to reverse direction and chipped an effortless ball over the top to a teammate. Not sure if anyone else remembers it but it was class.