The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

36 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Akindele is better than Millar? Scoring more and had more experience? The argument can certainly be made.

The bolded part is objectively true. The other part is subjective.

Millar has certainly earn more minutes under Herdman than Akindele. He will also be match fit as he is coming from Europe. Those would be the counter arguments.

It will be interesting to see if Herdman chooses one over the other, or possibly both.

I do feel that Akindele has deserved more of a chance under Herdman, whereas Millar has gotten more opportunities than I would have expected, considering he is not scoring regularly for club or country. His performances have been very good, don't get me wrong, but as an attacker you need to set up goals and/or score them, sooner or later.

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Cavallini, Larin, Davies, David, Hoilett, Akindele

Arfield, Hutchinson, Osorio, Piette, Kaye, Johnson, Eustaquio 

Henry, Vitoria, Cornelius, Miller, Adekugbe, Laryea, Cordova 

Borjan, Crepeau, Leutwiller 

Squad almost picks itself. Millar is the odd man out up front.  I think this game may call for more hold up play than usual, so Larin is in, and it's Akindele's home turf. Teibert and Fraser bumped by Johnson and Hutchinson. 

I actually think this is fairly accurate.  I hate to say it but I can see both Johnson & Akindele being there due to the game being in Orlando.  Not that I agree with it, but historically local players have been included our squads.  Fraser was fantastic last game but if Kaye & Hutchinson are both healthy and included in the squad, I doubt Fraser will see time so they may just keep Johnson as the last midfield pick who will not see the field.  Eustaquio may even be playing full games for Cruz Azul by that time.  If you have a fully fit, Arfield, Osorio, Piette, Hutchinson, Kaye & Eustaquio, I'm not sure Fraser or WJ will see the field.

Lets remember that the fantastic game from Fraser was the only game hes played in months and likely will not see the field again this year.  And as fantastic as he was.  He could play in Orlando and be completely out of his element.  He is still very young.

BTW, I personally would rather have Millar & Fraser over Akindele & Johnson.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 6:23 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Pulled him hamstring today?

I guess if you have to get injured, now is the time... next #CanMNT game for him will be in March or June?

On Christmas Eve Junior Hoilett was listed as an "injury doubt" and "touch and go" for today's Boxing Day match against Millwall.

I guess there was a Christmas miracle because he played almost a full game! Subbed out at the 90'+1.  :) 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50846979

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.wakingthered.com/2020/5/8/21251399/canada-and-cardiff-city-junior-hoilett-comortable-in-leadership-role-for-both-club-and-country

With the hype surrounding Davies and David, sometimes it is easy to forget about how good Junior Hoilett is. 

Turning 30 next month, the Cardiff City winger has 9 goals and 27 caps for Canada. Very few of our players have been that productive. I am sure he will comfortably be a top 10 goal scorer for our country when it's all said and done, which is hopefully not for another 3 or 4 years. 

And as that article mentions, Cardiff are still within striking distance of the promotion playoffs. Obviously we don't know if they'll finish the season or what, but Junior may get another Premier League chance if all goes according to plan. It would be his 7th Premier League season, by my count.

Anyways, big up to Junior Hoilett, still one of the most dangerous players in concacaf.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

https://www.wakingthered.com/2020/5/8/21251399/canada-and-cardiff-city-junior-hoilett-comortable-in-leadership-role-for-both-club-and-country

With the hype surrounding Davies and David, sometimes it is easy to forget about how good Junior Hoilett is. 

Turning 30 next month, the Cardiff City winger has 9 goals and 27 caps for Canada. Very few of our players have been that productive. I am sure he will comfortably be a top 10 goal scorer for our country when it's all said and done, which is hopefully not for another 3 or 4 years. 

And as that article mentions, Cardiff are still within striking distance of the promotion playoffs. Obviously we don't know if they'll finish the season or what, but Junior may get another Premier League chance if all goes according to plan. It would be his 7th Premier League season, by my count.

Anyways, big up to Junior Hoilett, still one of the most dangerous players in concacaf.

By Qatar 2022 he will be what 32 years old assuming we get to Qatar he will only be able to play for Canada for one World Cup and that's really it which honestly is unfortunate

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, gator said:

It's interesting when I read speculation on our best 11, of course it is just opinion but many times JH is left out, watching a goal like this against a high level of competition reminds me how good he can be!

I guess the reason he is left out has a lot to do with David, Larin and Cavallini which is why Hoilett is better suited as a winger playing behind whoever our striker is

Gator is right, we forget in the excitement of a potential David move to a bigger club, we already have a guy who has proved himself in the EPL.  Would be nice to see Hoilet get promoted, Larin in Belgium, Davies in Bunda and David in Italy (?).  A nice excuse to my wife that I have to watch all these leagues to keep tabs on the CDNS.  

31 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Gator is right, we forget in the excitement of a potential David move to a bigger club, we already have a guy who has proved himself in the EPL.  Would be nice to see Hoilet get promoted, Larin in Belgium, Davies in Bunda and David in Italy (?).  A nice excuse to my wife that I have to watch all these leagues to keep tabs on the CDNS.  

Is Hoilett's team even in the running to be promoted right now? I mean with Davies in Bundesliga, Larin in Belgium but David might go to Serie A or he could end up in EPL because EPL are frontrunners right now...either way it is a good time to be a Canadian player

30 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Is Hoilett's team even in the running to be promoted right now? I mean with Davies in Bundesliga, Larin in Belgium but David might go to Serie A or he could end up in EPL because EPL are frontrunners right now...either way it is a good time to be a Canadian player

They are tied for the last playoff spot currently, but a simple google search would give you that answer as well.