The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be a massive pay cut.  I doubt he does anything like that unless there are no options at anything like his current paycheck.   

I can't see him grabbing 1.5M pounds a year again, thats second highest at Cardiff, for a guy whose a semi starter. He may get some championship offers at around $1M pounds which is probably still more than what TFC would offer

Edited by king1010

Considering Bradley makes as much as he does and his contract expires, spreading a few million around multiple players seems quite logical. However I do not know how all the DP and TAM contract salaries/restrictions rules,  etc. work.

Would be pretty cool and awesome for the CMNT, if he finished off his career here in the MLS. I think he would have a very successful 4-5 yrs in my opinion. He's definitely a level above most all MLS defending and only 29, so he would be coming into all our national team games with tons of confidence and likely in excellent form.

Again, it's great when our players play in better leagues, but in this case, I'd rather see him get 60-90 mins on a regular basis, and his track record already speaks for itself.

Edited by apbsmith

On 10/6/2019 at 10:59 AM, king1010 said:

You think he’d come in at TAM around $500k? Maybe Osorio money at $750k. 

He’s making £1.5 so will probably have to take a pay cut. 

I don't see TFC giving him a DP deal and I don't see him going to any other MLS club. I think he would probably take a slight pay cut though, and I don't see him getting anything near £1.5M again on anything but a short contract. Plus I could see league head office finding some extra Garber bucks for his marketing value.

If he comes to MLS I think it'll be to TFC on a ~4 year +850K TAM deal.

I agree, just doesn't seem "in it" some games, then he'll look great in the next.  Perhaps just inconsistent?  I keep meaning to check his stats vs the minnows and compare to the big games, to see if there is a trend there.  Just haven't had the chance.  

No question he has the talent and experience, but does he have the same drive as someone that's trying to earn their spot?  I was questioning his starter status after the gold cup, considering we have: Davies, Cavallini, David, with Millar, Akindele, Tabla, etc, etc, etc... waiting as well.

Junior still has the talent and playing in a high quality league.  Unfortunately for him, he is more of a wide attacker which currently has Canada's best (barring maybe Arfield) and most exciting players in Davies & David.  Both a decade younger than him too.  He is still going to be valuable for Canada for a few more years.  But like I said, unless Canada is playing with David up top or Davies at LB, Hoilett is competing with David & Davies out wide (Millar as well).

23 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think Hoilett can evolve into a no. 10. He has good vision, close control, high soccer IQ, etc.

I agree but also very loaded in the midfield as well.  It all depends who is available for that game.  For example, without Cav last game, David was able to move up top, which opened a wing position.  With no LB, Davies may move back and again open up a wide position.  If you want a supporting striker, than David may be the best option which again opens up a spot out wide.

With everyone healthy and available, there are gonna be some tough decisions to make.  Personally, I am a big fan of both Osorio & Hoilett but I don't mind either one of them coming off the bench to light a spark in the attack.  Both seem to tire more easily over 90 min than others in their position.

Edited by Corazon

22 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Junior has fallen off a bit. He can still be very effective, and is probably a starter for the national team, but he isn't the same player from a few years ago. Hopefully it's just a dip in form and not age catching up with him.

Even not playing at his best ever, with Junior in the line up we'll always have a puncher's chance at getting a goal. 

Have a vision of him coming in off the bench more often than not these days.  You know, once the kids have worked some of the legs out of the opposition.  

Edited by Cheeta

• 2 weeks later...

Not good. Hopefully it is not too serious. He basically has just under 3 weeks to heal up, which is not a lot. I hope he makes it, we need him.

On the flipside, this would have been a death sentence to our chances last cycle. Now we have Liam Millar, for example, waiting in the wings. 

No Hoilett hurts us, no mistake about it, but it is not fatal.

Could potentially open up a spot for Akindele, especially considering we are playing in Orlando.

Borges may be too soon for a game of this magnitude.

It is too bad that Tabla is out of form and not playing. I feel he would have done very well in the Hoilett role off the bench, had he been in early 2018 form. Just tell him to be direct, take people on and express himself and he would have definitely caused problems. 

38 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I know they're not the same position but does this possibly open up the door for a Lain return if Hoilett is ruled out? 

In my opinion I think Larin was going to get called regardless. I've been wrong many times before though 

3 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

In my opinion I think Larin was going to get called regardless. I've been wrong many times before though 

The guys in Europe should still be in game shape...might not be the case for some MLS/CPL guys, although someone was mentioning clubs are going to continue to train after the season.  

Cavallini, Larin, Davies, David, Hoilett, Akindele

Arfield, Hutchinson, Osorio, Piette, Kaye, Johnson, Eustaquio 

Henry, Vitoria, Cornelius, Miller, Adekugbe, Laryea, Cordova 

Borjan, Crepeau, Leutwiller 

Squad almost picks itself. Millar is the odd man out up front.  I think this game may call for more hold up play than usual, so Larin is in, and it's Akindele's home turf. Teibert and Fraser bumped by Johnson and Hutchinson. 

4 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Cavallini, Larin, Davies, David, Hoilett, Akindele

Arfield, Hutchinson, Osorio, Piette, Kaye, Johnson, Eustaquio 

Henry, Vitoria, Cornelius, Miller, Adekugbe, Laryea, Cordova 

Borjan, Crepeau, Leutwiller 

Squad almost picks itself. Millar is the odd man out up front.  I think this game may call for more hold up play than usual, so Larin is in, and it's Akindele's home turf. Teibert and Fraser bumped by Johnson and Hutchinson. 

Agree for most part but not sure why Johnson over Fraser. Would have to think after performance last match and familiarity with system Fraser would get the call over Johnson.

Yeah Larin makes sense as it's in Orlando and other than the last blackout game its 4 in 4 and finding some form. 

Jury is still out at international level though and unless we are going 2 up top or dropping David into midfield he likely wouldnt feature. Still time for anything to happen though before squad cut off.