The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

• 4 months later...

Sad to say this but for me, Hoilett is fading. The game against Haiti was disappointing in terms of his impact and performance. He's the guy we needed to step up for us big time.

Though day at the office in Championship

Pulled after the half

Screenshot_20190818-153414_FotMob.thumb.jpg.52b3854f86ae1efb85fd89e726fc5ba6.jpg

With Adekugbe playing LB regularly, Davies should be our LW and start Millar on the right.

Edited by Ansem

I know he only had 3 goals & 1 assist last season in the premier league but lets not forget the year before he was Cardiff's player of the year and led the team in goals in all competitions with 11 and more than double the next player on the squad in assists with 12.

Premier League is a different beast altogether and he is a fringe premier league player.  If he's anything like he was two years ago in the Championship, hes still going to be a top player for Canada and still playing at a higher level than most of our National team.

He is two years older so only time will tell if he can put in another high caliber season but I'm not ready to call him washed up at 29.

Edited by Corazon

16 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I know he only had 3 goals & 1 assist last season in the premier league but lets not forget the year before he was Cardiff's player of the year and led the team in goals in all competitions with 11 and more than double the next player on the squad in assists with 12.

Premier League is a different beast altogether and he is a fringe premier league player.  If he's anything like he was two years ago in the Championship, hes still going to be a top player for Canada and still playing at a higher level than most of our National team.

He is two years older so only time will tell if he can put in another high caliber season but I'm not ready to call him washed up at 29.

I mean he did only have 3 goals last season but Cardiffs leading scorer only had 5. There's a reason they were relegated I suppose. 

20 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I obviously wish him all the best, but they bought again this summer in his wide positions (after buying there when they went up) .  I don't think he is washed up but he might have to move if he wants more regular minutes.  Hopefully that is wrong, because I like players staying at clubs at decent levels. (Don't want David to move this year for instance)  

I didn't have the time to watch in the last Championship season you mentioned, but he was inconsistent in the Premier League, looked comfortable and contributed one minute but went missing from a bunch of others.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I obviously wish him all the best, but they bought again this summer in his wide positions (after buying there when they went up) .  I don't think he is washed up but he might have to move if he wants more regular minutes.  Hopefully that is wrong, because I like players staying at clubs at decent levels. (Don't want David to move this year for instance)  

I didn't have the time to watch in the last Championship season you mentioned, but he was inconsistent in the Premier League, looked comfortable and contributed one minute but missing from a bunch of others.

I agree that the Premier League level is likely a level too high for him now.  Not the same player he was when he was in his early twenties.  If it's not with Cardiff, I'm sure there are other Championship teams he could fit in nicely with.

Can't remember if I said it in this thread or another, but I'll say it again: he should join Arfield at Rangers when his contract expires. He'll get to remain in Britian and will rack up a bunch of SPL goals, but with the added benefit of playing in European competition, something he's yet to experience thus far in his career.

4 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

Junior delivers in back-to-back games, has constantly played at or among the highest level in our pool, is a certified baller ;) and we are calling for him to come on as a sub? Mind blowing suggests

The thing is, if he forms a habit of scoring off the bench for Cardiff, perhaps he can do so for Canada. He doesn't have to start every game off the bench for us, but if we can bring on a dependable creator and proven goal scorer that would be great, wouldn't it?

Meanwhile, it would alleviate the log jam in the wide forward area if someone is willing to come on from the bench. As time goes on, that'll increasingly be Junior, not David or Davies. Unless of course Davies plays LB...

------------------------Cavallini

Hoilett---------------David----------------Davies

------------Piette---------------Arfield

Adekugbe---James---Henry---Cordova

We still need Hoilett's experience and confidence out there.  It's a shame to sit Osorio and Kaye, but the above may be the best we have to offer going forward. Perhaps our home game formation.

32 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

------------------------Cavallini

Hoilett---------------David----------------Davies

------------Piette---------------Arfield

Adekugbe---James---Henry---Cordova

We still need Hoilett's experience and confidence out there.  It's a shame to sit Osorio and Kaye, but the above may be the best we have to offer going forward. Perhaps our home game formation.

I like it but Davies is going to be playing more LB for Bayern this year it seems. 

I would go with:

Hoilet-Cav-David

Kaye-Piette-Arfield

Davies-Cornelius-Henry-Cordova