The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

28 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

They are tied for the last playoff spot currently, but a simple google search would give you that answer as well.

Even forgot another one of our players Liam Millar is in EPL right now at Liverpool even though he isn't playing 

5 hours ago, gator said:

It's interesting when I read speculation on our best 11, of course it is just opinion but many times JH is left out, watching a goal like this against a high level of competition reminds me how good he can be!

He’s been lights out for Canada lately. 9 goals and 9 assists in his last 10 starts. There are lots of people fighting for those forward positions though. It’s good to see. Just need to sort out the back line 

Hoilett yes he has been lights out no argument but then again he is always going to be overlooked when it comes to being that out and out lone striker up front especially when you have names like Larin, Cavallini and now David there. Then there are other strikers who are coming in the years to come when it comes to the CanMNT. Hoilett is what 30 years old now (b. 1990) so not even in his peak anymore like hitting his prime now.

11 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Hoilett yes he has been lights out no argument but then again he is always going to be overlooked when it comes to being that out and out lone striker up front especially when you have names like Larin, Cavallini and now David there. Then there are other strikers who are coming in the years to come when it comes to the CanMNT. Hoilett is what 30 years old now (b. 1990) so not even in his peak anymore like hitting his prime now.

Hoilett usually plays LW/LM, not as a lone ST up top

2 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Hoilett usually plays LW/LM, not as a lone ST up top

Then I'll restate...yes he has played striker for us though in the past but yes he does play that left winger role for our national team. Oversight of mine but still though even at the left winger position, we still have depth there besides Hoilett. We also have more depth eventually coming in.

Basically what I am saying is that Hoilett needs to step up his game or be phased out of the starting 11.

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Then I'll restate...yes he has played striker for us though in the past but yes he does play that left winger role for our national team. Oversight of mine but still though even at the left winger position, we still have depth there besides Hoilett. We also have more depth eventually coming in.

Basically what I am saying is that Hoilett needs to step up his game or be phased out of the starting 11.

Jonathan David plays best as a CAM or ST, aside from Davies, don't think we have the depth at winger to say Hoilett is being phased out by any means.... who do you suggest is ahead of him?

7 hours ago, gator said:

It's interesting when I read speculation on our best 11, of course it is just opinion but many times JH is left out, watching a goal like this against a high level of competition reminds me how good he can be!

Imagine him scoring a goal like that against the US or Mexico or, with any sort of luck, at the world cup. We can dream I guess. Bangers only this guy 

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Jonathan David plays best as a CAM or ST, aside from Davies, don't think we have the depth at winger to say Hoilett is being phased out by any means.... who do you suggest is ahead of him?

Other than those two Canada does have wingers like Tabla, Millar, Akindele but then there are future players worth considering too like Nelson, Jahkeele, etc. not that any of them can phase out Hoilett but they add to the depth. If they add to that depth, then the time will eventually come where Hoilett is phased out. Pretty much that is why I was saying he needs to step it up more.

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Other than those two Canada does have wingers like Tabla, Millar, Akindele but then there are future players worth considering too like Nelson, Jahkeele, etc. not that any of them can phase out Hoilett but they add to the depth. If they add to that depth, then the time will eventually come where Hoilett is phased out. Pretty much that is why I was saying he needs to step it up more.

Hoilett is definitely ahead of all the wingers you mentioned. Except if he has a massive drop in form he'll be playing for us if we qualify in 2022 and possibly even 2026. He's been a great player for both club and country and is to me at least, just as worthy of a guaranteed starting role as David, Davies, or Borjan.

Edited by SkuseisLoose

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

In 450+ career games he's only appeared 4 times as a striker. 9 goals and 9 assists in 10 starts are incredible numbers, and you're saying he needs to step up his game? I love your enthusiasm but I really don't understand the majority of your posts. 

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

In 450+ career games he's only appeared 4 times as a striker. 9 goals and 9 assists in 10 starts are incredible numbers, and you're saying he needs to step up his game? I love your enthusiasm but I really don't understand the majority of your posts. 

Agree with everything except the text in bold above.

8 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Hoilett is definitely ahead of all the wingers you mentioned. Except if he has a massive drop in form he'll be playing for us if we qualify in 2022 and possibly even 2026. He's been a great player for both club and country and is to me at least, just as worthy of a guaranteed starting role as David, Davies, or Borjan.

By 2022 yeah he would be a starter in Qatar at 32 but in 2026, here in Canada-USA-Mexico United 2026 he'll be 36 years old. At best, he would come off the bench.

Love Junior and watched him a lot over the last few years for club and country. Dynamic yes. Cracking with both feet yes. Often fades badly after 60 min yes. Disappears at times to conserve energy it seems.  Lots of miles under his belt. For that reason I think for MNT in future we should see him start and subbed off around the hour mark or come off the bench around 65-70 min depending on opposition and how many games in the FIFA window. My guess anyways. 

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Meaning he won't be able to maintain that same top level that he is currently playing at...yeah in 2022 he will but come 2026 he most likely won't 

Great point. Using that same logic I would like to suggest we move on from David and Davies, because by the time the 2038 World Cup comes around they won't be at the same level anymore. We should stick to calling players that don't age beyond their prime.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Great point. Using that same logic I would like to suggest we move on from David and Davies, because by the time the 2038 World Cup comes around they won't be at the same level anymore. We should stick to calling players that don't age beyond their prime.

Yeah because you always have to stay fresh which means going younger unless you have veterans who can actually play past their prime and can still go

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah because you always have to stay fresh which means going younger unless you have veterans who can actually play past their prime and can still go

I am in favour of going younger all other things being equal but at the end of the day you just play the best guys you have at the time.  Don’t worry about where someone will be in 6 years time (!) just play them if they deserve a spot in the 11 or 18.  The end.  

6 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

You've had this same comment about Atiba and Christine, who are older, yes, but still play at a high level. Have you watched Junior Hoilett play for either club or country at all the last few years? He has been one of Canada's, and Cardiff's, most consistent players. And just because he's now 30 doesn't mean his legs are suddenly going to fall off and he can't play. In two years, I will gladly take Hoilett at 32 if he is still playing at a high level (and there's a more than good chance he will be) over a random 19 year old who is still trying to earn a first start on some tenth place team from Eastern Europe, just to make Canada younger. We have the youth. Hoilett brings experience from a world class league, which we still need right now, and he's still one of our best players.

7 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

IMO for competitive matches you have to call the players that are in form at the time. It doesn't matter if they're 15 or 40.

Edited by Aird25

• 4 weeks later...