The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

56 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I don’t think for a minute that Junior would consider it, but I’d love to pair him with Gauld as the dual 10s in Vancouver. Most of MLS falls into that grey zone between Championship and League 1 calibre, which seems to be where he’s at right now.

I don't really know if any MLS teams would want to sign a 33-year old to the money he would want. He also may not want to play on turf.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Hoilett has been offered a contract by The Royals:

#ReadingFC's retained list is out. Staying: Guinness-Walker (extension activated) Terms offered: Mbengue, Meite, Hoilett, Boyce-Clarke, John Clarke, Dorsett Departing: Dann, Southwood, Long, Moore, Joao, Tetek, Melvin-Lambert, Leavy, Osorio, Scott

Edited by gator

11 hours ago, gator said:

Apparently Hoilett has been offered a contract by The Royals:

#ReadingFC's retained list is out. Staying: Guinness-Walker (extension activated) Terms offered: Mbengue, Meite, Hoilett, Boyce-Clarke, John Clarke, Dorsett Departing: Dann, Southwood, Long, Moore, Joao, Tetek, Melvin-Lambert, Leavy, Osorio, Scott

Interesting. He seems to have enjoyed his time at and been valued by the club, so if he stays at the club I can understand. Ideally though it would be nice to see him stick around in the Championship (or similar level) for another year or two. I think he's still capable of contributing at that level, and still has a role to play with the nats IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, jordan said:

Believed to be training at Huddersfield 

It's funny to me how (as you posted) there were these rumours back in June

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-transfer-news-warnock-27100636

and everything went quiet and once again the same rumour is back

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-transfer-news-manolis-27545537

I guess Hoilett just needed some post Gold Cup rest?

• 2 weeks later...

If Herdman/TFC do want to sign him, do they have to go through some weird MLSy type of draft? Like I know at least in the past there were special rules around signing USMNT players. Do they have to give some random team some GAM to trade for their spot in the allocation order or something?

Anywhere in the Championship would be fine of course, but sometimes I wonder if Jr is better off with a top League One side. What say you guys?

I mean, I want him in the Championship, but if he's playing for a team at the bottom, maybe not much difference in a top League One side.

The benefit would be (in theory) more goal contributions and being in the habit of finding the net. Downside is obviously lower level of play.

Overall I still think Championship is the best bet, and most likely, but lately I wonder...

19 hours ago, Kent said:

If Herdman/TFC do want to sign him, do they have to go through some weird MLSy type of draft? Like I know at least in the past there were special rules around signing USMNT players. Do they have to give some random team some GAM to trade for their spot in the allocation order or something?

Those rules were for domestic players that had left MLS and decided to come back, IIRC.  Don't think that exists anymore.

I think Holliet could sign as a simple free transfer, similar to Arfield with Charlotte.