The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Any updates on him? Will be tough to put him on the March roster if he hasn't played competitively in almost 6 months.

Was wondering the same. I have the feeling he'll be selected even while being unattached, but much better to have him playing somewhere. 

Assuming though we leave him out on those grounds, who do we bring in?

Perhaps another winger like Theo, a guy that's been left out in the cold a bit over the last 18 months or so. He looked great against Uruguay. 

Or do we go with a more familiar face in Schaffleburg or Nelson? Guys who did well at the Gold Cup. The knock against Nelson is that he won't yet be in season, but this is a one-off match and he's not going to be a starter and he's already gearing up for his season, so he'll be fit. I like that he can shift to the middle, too. That's a spot Junior has been increasingly used in for Canada.

Any other possibilities? Use the extra spot to bring in Jebbison? Maybe bring JKL in? Neither would probably play, but if we want to use the spot to introduce a guy into the program...

Edited by Obinna

I think as a free agent, teams might wait until close to the end of the window (or it's passed) before taking a look at him. That they'll explore other options first, knowing that he's an easy fall back option.

On 1/10/2024 at 2:52 AM, Obinna said:

Hoilett going back to England 

Really hoped for him to go to Huddersfield when Warnock took over last season. Not sure how many managers they've gone through since, so maybe it's a good thing he didn't land there.

8 hours ago, jdheid said:

Really hoped for him to go to Huddersfield when Warnock took over last season. Not sure how many managers they've gone through since, so maybe it's a good thing he didn't land there.

Warnock was on the Peter Crouch podcast a couple of weeks ago. He spoke fondly about Junior. He was amongst a small group of players Warnock talked about trying to take with him wherever he went. Told the story of arriving at QPR, seeing Junior training with the U18s, after being banished by the previous manager. He asked, "what are you doing here? You're playing with the first team on Saturday!"

On 1/26/2024 at 10:32 PM, SthMelbRed said:

Warnock was on the Peter Crouch podcast a couple of weeks ago. He spoke fondly about Junior. He was amongst a small group of players Warnock talked about trying to take with him wherever he went. Told the story of arriving at QPR, seeing Junior training with the U18s, after being banished by the previous manager. He asked, "what are you doing here? You're playing with the first team on Saturday!"

Very cool! I'll look for that.

On 1/26/2024 at 9:32 PM, SthMelbRed said:

Warnock has a new gig:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/05/neil-warnock-aberdeen-manager-aged-75-end-of-season

Maybe Junior heads to Scotland?

25 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I'd like to see it.

Manager aside, Aberdeen and Hearts seem to most consistently be the best of the rest, plus at this stage of his career I think Celtic or Rangers are maybe just a bit out of reach, if he wants to be more than a fringe player.

So for me, it's yes to a team like Aberdeen, even though they're well out of the Europa League qualifying spot at the moment.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I'd like to see it.

Manager aside, Aberdeen and Hearts seem to most consistently be the best of the rest, plus at this stage of his career I think Celtic or Rangers are maybe just a bit out of reach, if he wants to be more than a fringe player.

So for me, it's yes to a team like Aberdeen, even though they're well out of the Europa League qualifying spot at the moment.

It's funny, while he was searching for a club last year I wondered if the SPL was a possibility. It keeps him in the general area of where he wants to be (England adjacent, at least) but in the SPL he'd have the chance to really compete for trophies (not the league most likely, but both Cups) and a spot in Europe.