The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

And there are many high spending teams in this league that have significantly to spectacularly underachieved while teams with less financial clout have been consistently competitive for the reasons I outlined in an earlier post here.

The league is moving towards the big spenders being able to win. Smart, lower-budget teams will always find ways to compete but the list of MLS Cup winners will more often than not be the bigger spenders going forward.

The problem for TFC is not being able to get out of their own way. They should've offered Manning's job to Bezbatchenko, who left to be Manning's equivalent in Columbus. So instead of the real architect of TFC's success (Bez) staying on and extending the team's run as a top 3 side in MLS, they've fallen to where they are now with Manning in charge.

Having the wrong front office in place can completely undermine any financial advantages, as TFC has found out so spectacularly over the past three seasons.

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

People who claim their own arguments are nuanced tend to have the same amount of value as people who claim to be critical thinkers. As in none at all.

Your posts are proof of that.

Sure, whatever you say. 

We can't all be mental giants who come up with "1967" like you.

Me pointing out how stupid it is doesn't mean it pisses me off. You not being able to expand on your use of it further than "it pisses you off" on the other hand...

(I know, I know... anyone who points out that your logic is flawed is a "TFC white knight," because God forbid we have actual discussions on this discussion board.)

43 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

And there are many high spending teams in this league that have significantly to spectacularly underachieved while teams with less financial clout have been consistently competitive for the reasons I outlined in an earlier post here.

I get it, and it's right.

But there isn't a championship or a cup given out for this. Why are we talking about budget when we know the owners are in the same financial bracket?  

@narduch I think your disappointment with the club is very much warranted. I also don't think @RS has been white knighting for Toronto over the last several posts. Everything he is saying is very fair and he's obviously very much on the same page as you in terms of Manning having to go, so I am not sure what the dispute is here. 

To me it just seems like RS acknowledges the shortcommings but understand the club is putting forth effort to change, which should be obvious to everyone. And narduch you seem to be fed up with the club (you're not alone) and not in any mood to hear things like "TFC are putting forth effort", which I also understand - and I am sure RS does as well.  

There you go. 

Now kiss and make up, boys. 

1 hour ago, RS said:

The league is moving towards the big spenders being able to win. Smart, lower-budget teams will always find ways to compete but the list of MLS Cup winners will more often than not be the bigger spenders going forward.

The interesting side effect to this is that I think it's starting to elevate the value of the Voyageurs Cup/US Open: short tournaments that mid-tier teams view as much more winnable in a way that MLS Cup isn't.

7 hours ago, RS said:

The league is moving towards the big spenders being able to win.

I do agree on the point that a few or more big spenders will be winning, especially the Supporters' Shield, but they need to have sound management and talent assessment.  However, several other big spenders will be underachieving, often notably, compared to smarter moneyball teams.

Five to seven years from now that will still be the trend.

Edited by BearcatSA

I don't follow MLS as closely as I did pre-CPL. Are any of the top few teams in the East big spending teams? Cincinnatti, New England, Orlando, or Philadelphia? And I don't think the top team in the West is spending big either, St. Louis. Obviously Miami is turning the league on it's head right now, but I thought it would just be big spending teams back when TFC and Seattle kept making the final. It hasn't exactly panned out that way yet.

On the Hoilett news. I am actually looking forward to watching Whitecaps games with their recent CMNT signings. With TFC out of it, I am probably looking more forward to VWFC games than TFC games.

10 hours ago, Shway said:

The bolded is laughable. They won the second division north american league. You would probably say Barcelona and Madrid are on the same level of success too right? right? 

Who else has a Supporters Shield? Who else has an MLS Cup?  Who else has X amount more players sent to the national team as a result of their club?  

Let's just talk straight facts. 

Yes TFC has spent way more, but that's what separates the difference between the haves and the have-nots. 

I promise you, there aren't awards for these stupid takes like " TFC is well ahead in the race to have the worst record in relation to budget in the history of the MLS"....but since you know it all if there are, please let me know and I'll stand corrected. 

The won NASL you moron.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I've said this before...I refuse to send insults, and getting into name calling over the internet...it's juvenile, and if @phil03took me saying "what are you smoking on" as an insult...then my bad.

You're constantly insulting people on this board, then playing the little angelic kid 😇

You're sexist. You slagged all of Halifax. Then you've post things about Central America, fear mongering, that's fundamentally xenophobic. This list is constant, it's your standard way of posting. 

Show us one single post where you developed a marginally fresh view on your own. Don't think there are any.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...