The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

• 3 weeks later...

Gets a chance against the run of play right near the end of half.  Right at De Gea.

Risky tackle that just gets the ball in his own area a bit earlier. 

Edit: In the end, goes 69' in a 3-1 loss.  The defender who replaced him got the consolation goal from a corner. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Out for the next 6+ weeks with a hamstring injury. Chance he does t come back this season and is out of contract after this year.

The exact quote:

"Junior is probably going to be out for six or seven weeks - it could be longer," the manager said. "We don't know the full extent of it yet but it's going to be a while."

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-dealt-major-blow-26376855.amp

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 11:13 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Junior is probably going to be out for six or seven weeks - it could be longer," the manager said. "We don't know

In the end it will be about 8 to 9 weeks it seems. There was an update today:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hunt-injury-reading-wigan-huddersfield-26762660

They should be back on the grass next week and whether next week will come too soon for them, I am not too sure. But I know for a fact they will put their best foot forward, being the characters they are."

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Same injury as Davies right?  I know he’s older but does but into question the NL Final if everything doesn’t go right.

Yea he's out. 
His contract is also up this summer, so he is another player with a situation...although that hasn't stopped him from showing up before.

“Junior (Hoilett) has been on the grass too this week and will see how he goes today so it’s been a positive week.

“He’s getting closer and has done work with us so it’s positive.

https://rdg.today/reading-fc-boss-noel-hunt-provides-injury-updates-on-tom-ince-shane-long-junior-hoilett-and-yakou-meite/

So he's getting closer to a return but almost certainly won't play this weekend.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Startin today.!! Quite the pleasant surprise.

Team was 0-5-6 I'm his absence. Hopefully they aren't rushing him back.

Reading are a point back of Huddersfield who have the last survival place but the latter have a game in hand.

Also three points back of Rotherham a place above that with equal games played but Reading have a -20 GD while Rotherham are on -12.

Any real chance of survival for Hoilett means they need to win these last two.

Hoillett - Substituted off in the 68.  Decent game, but still 0-0.   

Ends 1-1.  Reading could be relegated before next weekend after Huddersfield plays two games in hand. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I understand that junior has been relegated with Reading. So, what's next for him? Play next season in League One? Find another Championship team? Move up north to the SPL? Try the continent? Come home to TFC or another MLS team?

Hoilett was great this season and I’d guess he’ll have no issues finding a club in MLS or the championship. Would be cool to see him go to a team in European competition but after 20 years in England he seems to be an English pyramid lifer. 

I think he’d be a really clever signing for a French or German relegation candidate too. Tons of experience, versatile and a really smart player.

I am not sure of his contractual status, most clubs and players have a relegation clause written into the contract so I don't expect him playing in Lg1 next season unless it makes the most sense financially, it would be nice to see how he does in MLS but I expect him to stay overseas!

11 minutes ago, gator said:

I am not sure of his contractual status, most clubs and players have a relegation clause written into the contract so I don't expect him playing in Lg1 next season unless it makes the most sense financially, it would be nice to see how he does in MLS but I expect him to stay overseas!

I believe it was only a one year deal so he's a free agent.

34 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Was he really great this year? Reading fans don't seem to think so. Not sure he gets another Championship contract tbh

I didn’t watch a single minute of reading this year but based on FotMob he had the 2nd best rating on the team but more importantly Reading really started going downhill after his injury, pre injury they were comfortably mid table and winning some surprising games but it seemed like it all went to hell after he got injured obviously it wasn’t just his injury as other things like the point deduction, new manger and overall drop of form really hurt them but I think that says a lot about Hoilett.

If we want to go the FotMob route, he had the fourth highest rating of any player who is getting relegated. I’d think that would make him one of the more likely players to get a deal elsewhere. Plus, he’s been around forever, everyone knows him, they know what to expect from hims

I work with some Plymouth Argyle fans, I’d love for him to sign there. They look like they have a really young team, small market, I’m not sure what JH’s wage demands look like, but could be a nice fit. There are also a couple teams he’s played for still in the championship, one could take him back on a one year deal or something.