The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

On 2/5/2024 at 5:11 PM, BearcatSA said:

Warnock...Scotland

On 2/5/2024 at 5:39 PM, Obinna said:

Aberdeen

On 2/5/2024 at 7:35 PM, Watchmen said:

I wondered if the SPL was a possibility.

On 2/5/2024 at 8:36 PM, toontownman said:

Aberdeen

Aberdeen rumours heating up:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/6375990/aberdeen-weigh-up-move-for-canada-international-junior-hoilett/

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

So it's the SPFL, does he still warrant a call? or is Aberdeen on aNoThEr LeVel? 

Been wondering this myself.

Aberdeen seem to be having a shit season, but they are typically amongst the best outside the Old Firm.

More importantly, I think he would have been selected even with Unattached FC and playing with Aberdeen is obviously better than not playing, so this shouldn't hurt Junior in the slightest.

Furthermore, I think he could potentially put some nice numbers up at this level and scoring or assisting is always great for your confidence. He's with a manager who trusts him so it should be advantageous for both him and Warnock. I am really looking forward to it actually.

25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Been wondering this myself.

Aberdeen seem to be having a shit season, but they are typically amongst the best outside the Old Firm.

More importantly, I think he would have been selected even with Unattached FC and playing with Aberdeen is obviously better than not playing, so this shouldn't hurt Junior in the slightest.

Furthermore, I think he could potentially put some nice numbers up at this level and scoring or assisting is always great for your confidence. He's with a manager who trusts him so it should be advantageous for both him and Warnock. I am really looking forward to it actually.

Granted the SPFL is not a great quality these days but I don’t think Junior will find it as easy as many suspect; it’s still pretty rough and tumble.  
Aberdeen are really schizophrenic this season and although Warnock might be okay for the short term, he should not be their solution past the summer (and neither should Junior).  They have enough talent that they should not be where they are in the table.  But it’s a good fit to try to get them into a Top 6 spot this season and if it gets him minutes to prep for March, great.

He would have to really shine in the next month to prove he should be included. 

I don't know in what works it would make sense to take a 33 year old just getting his legs under him in Scotland over a 21 year old get sub appearances in La Liga.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

I don't know in what works it would make sense to take a 33 year old just getting his legs under him in Scotland over a 21 year old get sub appearances in La Liga.

#brotherhood

He's in.  I am sure of it.  Only injury will keep him out of Biello's selection for March.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Wait what? I haven't been keeping up with individual players that much for a while now. Who is the 21 year old getting sub appearances in La Liga?

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

Wait what? I haven't been keeping up with individual players that much for a while now. Who is the 21 year old getting sub appearances in La Liga?

Corbeanu at Granada.
And it's been an appearance...no plural.

36 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

#brotherhood

He's in.  I am sure of it.  Only injury will keep him out of Biello's selection for March.

And it would be stupid to include him unless he goes on a tear somehow. 
All sentiment aside that I have for him, he needs to win back his spot in the national team. 
However I am aware that the brotherhood is strong, and I dont know if the coach is strong enough to make those decisions at this time. 

But we should be strong enough to be T&T, and blood in some young deserving talent. 

45 minutes ago, Shway said:

And it would be stupid to include him unless he goes on a tear somehow. 
All sentiment aside that I have for him, he needs to win back his spot in the national team. 
However I am aware that the brotherhood is strong, and I dont know if the coach is strong enough to make those decisions at this time. 

But we should be strong enough to be T&T, and blood in some young deserving talent. 

He's there.  

I'd love it if "he goes on a tear" but even if he doesn't, this caretaker manager's going "all in" on his incumbents to do the job, including Hoillet, in part because of circumstances (i.e. not enough prep matches in the last six months to audition newbies).

"Should," too often the negative harbinger of auxillary verbs.  The boys need to deliver the goods or this match will become known as the Frisco Fiasco.

4 hours ago, SirBobsaget said:

Strange move. Outside the big 2 in Scotland what kind of wages are on offer? He would be on at least 0.5 mil from Championship or MLS.

His annual salary with the Whitecaps was listed at $228k. If he had offers of $500k from the Championship or MLS, he'd be there. I don't think he commands the wages he once did.

The reality is that the coach knows exactly what Junior brings to the team.  He is a guy who can have a moment of brilliance and make something happen for you.   This move should get him game-fit for the March qualifier.  

I suspect we will see him in the squad but with his age and now this new playing level, it really is a legit question whether or not he gets replaced by one of the young guns   The one thing in his favour is that these are not spots requiring 90 minutes of play - they are fringe spots for situational subs and I think the wily (and familiar) vet may have a bit of an edge.   But you never know - a guy like Theo could stake his claim, or they could even mix it up a bit to make room for a fourth forward like Bair.  Definitely looking forward to the squad being released. 

• 2 weeks later...