The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

18 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I suspect it's now more about the money/contract length than the league.

I have posted something with a somewhat similar vibe in the Miller thread.  There are some guys who are positioned to pursue the highest competitive level possible.  And then there are guys with different circumstances (whether due to their age, perceived “ceiling”, available opportunities, etc) where it makes sense to absolutely maximize their earnings - competitive level be damned.   With Hoilett’s age, I would now put him firmly in the latter.  All things being equal, I would think he would be hunting down the contract that gives him the most financial security possible.  Hell, with his resume, I would be trying to get my agent to put feelers out for a rich emerging league like Saudi Arabia to see if there was any interest in a former EPL player.   And like other’s said, MLS is a perfectly decent option if that is where the best offer came from.  

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have posted something with a somewhat similar vibe in the Miller thread.  There are some guys who are positioned to pursue the highest competitive level possible.  And then there are guys with different circumstances (whether due to their age, perceived “ceiling”, available opportunities, etc) where it makes sense to absolutely maximize their earnings - competitive level be damned.   With Hoilett’s age, I would now put him firmly in the latter.  All things being equal, I would think he would be hunting down the contract that gives him the most financial security possible.  Hell, with his resume, I would be trying to get my agent to put feelers out for a rich emerging league like Saudi Arabia to see if there was any interest in a former EPL player.   And like other’s said, MLS is a perfectly decent option if that is where the best offer came from.  

I don't think it's even about chasing the money to Saudi Arabia. I think he just prefers playing in England. If a team there offers him 2 or 3 year deal vs the 1 year deals he's been getting, I think he'd take it regardless of league.

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think it's even about chasing the money to Saudi Arabia. I think he just prefers playing in England. If a team there offers him 2 or 3 year deal vs the 1 year deals he's been getting, I think he'd take it regardless of league.

For sure.  There is more to financial security than the best one-year salary.  If he could lock down 2-3 years of guaranteed income, that would have to be weighted pretty heavily.  

Wow that is unexpected!

Whitecaps stealing all of TFC's thunder it seems. I fully expected these Canadian internationals to come home and join the big dog that is Toronto, but the reality is Vancouver are the reigning V-Cup champions and the best hope for a Canadian team to make MLS Cup playoffs. They also have Champions League next year too.

Things looking very bright on the west coast!

....which is not always easy with all that overcast and rain :D

57 minutes ago, narduch said:

Since as reported Caps are shipping off Cordova, sold to Turkey, and he was at maximum TAM, they have cap space. There was the idea Laryea could be upgraded, but also Junior could take that. Maybe a million bucks?

For me neither Laryea nor Sam have really had any sort of stellar match so far. Hopefully this weekend they'll have their daggers ready. I could see fans warming up to the team because of results but not because they're the main ones. Then there's the deal where the Whitecaps are on the road and can't take advantage of the signings at home for a couple of weeks still.

16 hours ago, Shway said:

The fact is, they are still Canada's most successful club on all fronts.... Regardless of the hard years. 

We have, what others don't. 

So oversensitive. 

I mean, at least I am old enough to have watched the entire series last time the Leafs won the Cup.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

It makes sense for both sides to reassess after the season. Junior has never played club ball over here and his whole life I presume is back in the UK. Smart to see how he likes the league, the club, the city, the travel, how it fits in with his personal life, etc. And for Vancouver you want to see how Junior adapts to MLS, how durable he is, how he gets on with the group, how he likes the club, etc. Vancouver will likely try and get him and Richie to commit for longer I am sure, if they can.