2nd Friendly vs. France, 9 June 2024, 9:15 pm, Bordeaux

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Ok, so the reversal rumour was wrong.

Well, now you will need to convince them to travel to Bordeaux! :D

There is Thalys + a TGV so even by train Rotterdam to Bordeaux should be fast.

You can go Bla Bla Car, ride sharing, which works well. 

I think there could be flights as well.

@gator , @JamboAl @CanadaFan123, @Dominic94 @Nate3322 @finchster, @Ruud, @Geoffrey MacPhee @Yohan, @cornerkick.

KLM has some direct but pricey flights from Amsterdam (AMS) to Bordeaux (BOD).

But another very reasonable alternative to the trains is the direct Transavia flight from Rotterdam (RTM) to Bergerac (EGC).

As of this post it's only $150 CAD for June 8th.

Bordeaux is ~100km and 90 minutes from Bergerac.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

36 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@gator , @JamboAl @CanadaFan123, @Dominic94 @Nate3322 @finchster, @Ruud, @Geoffrey MacPhee @Yohan, @cornerkick.

But another very reasonable alternative to the trains is the direct Transavia flight from Rotterdam (RTM) to Bergerac (EGC).

Look at your options from Brussels as well. Look at flights to Toulouse then train.

And as I say, BlaBla can be good if you're on a budget.

22 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Good God. If we end up arguably the best run of fixtures in CMNT history and it's Biello coaching.. Over It Maid GIF

I'm still taking those fixtures Biello or not. Incredible if it happens. 

Please get coach that fits the occasion and our player pool better though.

I've been thinking about what a big opportunity this is, not just in terms of player experience and exposure to a wider audience. Canada's advantage over some other opponents is (let's be honest) that we're probably cheaper to bring in. So if Canada puts in a good showing against Netherlands/France (really pushes and challenges them), that makes the team more appealing to book in future friendlies. But if Canada is a push over, it greatly diminishes that. Because we're certainly not a big financial draw for anyone (even with some good young players).

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Man would love to do the short trip to see both these game and find my way to Atlanta 

17 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

This could end up being a more substantial run of games than we see in 2026 tbh....

All three teams are higher ranked than any of our group stage opponents would be. There is going to be 12 groups, with Canada, USA, and Mexico seeded into their own groups. That means the other 9 groups should get the highest ranked teams that qualified. If we assume all the highest ranked teams qualify, and none of the hosts are in the top 9, that would make teams ranked 1 through 9 all in different groups from us. So the best possible ranking we could face in the group stage would be 10th (from the 2nd pot). Argentina is 1st, France 2nd, and Netherlands 7th. With those rankings they would all be pot 1 teams.

3 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

So the France game is looking like it will be on June 9 or June 10, but not later and not earlier?

It pretty much has to be one of those 2 days.

We play the Dutch on June 6. The June window opens after Sunday June 2. Any later would put the game too close to our June 20 game v Argentina. Plus France first Euro game is June 17

1 minute ago, narduch said:

It pretty much has to be one of those 2 days.

We play the Dutch on June 6. The June window opens after Sunday June 2. Any later would put the game too close to our June 20 game v Argentina. Plus France first Euro game is June 17

The French don't start their Eurocup campaign until the 17th. So for them the lead time is good, they could shift it to the Monday even. But they have Luxembourg before us, it is just to shake out their legs, so they don't need to rest from that at all. 

I also imagine that for fans, you choose a Sunday and let it be a real party for them during the day. 

Another storyline to this is David vs France. He's played the majority of his career in Ligue 1 and is a well known commondity, always amongst the top goal scorers in Ligue 1, has a league title to his name. 

I know the focus in France will be France, but hopefully that's a subplot that gains some traction and interest. 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Another storyline to this is David vs France. He's played the majority of his career in Ligue 1 and is a well known commondity, always amongst the top goal scorers in Ligue 1, has a league title to his name. 

I know the focus in France will be France, but hopefully that's a subplot that gains some traction and interest. 

And the fact we have French-speaking players, then even Piette was in development in France. So in terms of media, we are a great team to have for them. The whole Normandy angle from a few days before as well.

Then as you say, they get to play up the Mbappe-David rivalry, as I am pretty sure the former would play this game and maybe not at all vs. Luxembourg, or less minutes.

This is where we have it tough. We cannot afford to sit that many players, we have to ask our key guys to start on a Thursday, then on a Sunday, rotating to a point, because we can't be blown out.

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

David has posted the French flag next to the Canadian, Haitian, and US flag before on instagram- I figure at this point he’s spent his entire adult life in or around France, so I wonder outside of sport if he feels “French” in a way. Would be great to see him play for us on their turf. 

I think fans will like seeing him. I always liked seeing Romeo Quioto whenever we’d play Honduras. I always hope for a 5-1 win against them with Quioto scoring a nice one, and I’d hope a lot of French fans would hope for a similar result against us.

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

David has posted the French flag next to the Canadian, Haitian, and US flag before on instagram- I figure at this point he’s spent his entire adult life in or around France, so I wonder outside of sport if he feels “French” in a way. Would be great to see him play for us on their turf. 

I think fans will like seeing him. I always liked seeing Romeo Quioto whenever we’d play Honduras. I always hope for a 5-1 win against them with Quioto scoring a nice one, and I’d hope a lot of French fans would hope for a similar result against us.

Did you just say you hope France beats us 5-1 and David scores a nice goal? LOL!

6 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

This could end up being a more substantial run of games than we see in 2026 tbh....

This is more substantial than any team has at the entire world Cup 2022. Argentina's run to the final was Netherlands (8), Croatia (16), and France (4).

Right now we are facing the world number 1,2, and 7. It would take some research, but I would put money on that being the 3 highest ranked opponents back to back that anyone has faced in a long time

• Unnamed Trialist changed the title to 2nd Friendly vs. France, 9 June 2024, 9:15 pm, Bordeaux