2nd Friendly vs. France, 9 June 2024, 9:15 pm, Bordeaux

UPDATE:

Our 2nd Friendly is away to France on Sunday 9 June 2024, 9:15 pm, in Bordeaux. 

The FFF has yet to officialize ticketing.

The stadium Matmut Atlantique, holds just over 42,000. It is ten years old and was designed by Herzog and Meuron, it looks amazing. Girondins de Bordeaux play there, thought they are mired in 2nd division and their sheen is severely tarnished.

So let's have fun and speculate on another match this June window. If we play on the 6th, we'd need to rest on the Friday, train Sat and Sunday, and then we could do a friendly the Monday or Tuesday. Many teams are in fact doing just that, playing Monday the 10th for example

From what I have culled so far:

Spain plays Andorra the first match in Badajoz and is free for the second.

However, they start Euros on the 15th, so it is probably tight for them.

Turkey plays away to Italy in Bologna on the 4th and was free the second slot (but now has Malta?)

They start Euros on the 18th, more feasible. We could play in a European city where they'd get the Turkish fans out, like in Austria. I think Germany may prefer no events so close to their event.

France has not booked for that window, they start the Euros on the 17th vs. Austria.

Northern Ireland has nothing booked that window.

In this upcoming window there are 12 sides vying for three spots in the Euros. Some have already booked friendlies for June regardless (like Wales, Finland), others have not, including:

Poland, have not booked any friendlies yet.

Greece have not booked any June friendlies yet.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So let's have fun and speculate on another match this June window. If we play on the 6th, we'd need to rest on the Friday, train Sat and Sunday, and then we could do a friendly the Monday or Tuesday. Many teams are in fact doing just that, playing Monday the 10th for example

From what I have culled so far:

Spain plays Andorra the first match in Badajoz and is free for the second.

However, they start Euros on the 15th, so it is probably tight for them.

Turkey plays away to Italy in Bologna on the 4th and is free the second slot.

They start Euros on the 18th, more feasible. We could play in a European city where they'd get the Turkish fans out, like in Austria. I think Germany may prefer no events so close to their event.

France has not booked for that window, they start the Euros on the 17th vs. Austria.

Northern Ireland has nothing booked that window.

In this upcoming window there are 12 sides vying for three spots in the Euros. Some have already booked friendlies for June regardless (like Wales, Finland), others have not, including:

Poland, have not booked any friendlies yet.

Greece have not booked any June friendlies yet.

Any reason not to just play Turkey in Turkey? I realize that Turkey is the European equivalent to Mexico (ie a rich diaspora that allows you to play abroad in front of "home" fans) but I'd take whichever option gets Canada a better payday.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Any reason not to just play Turkey in Turkey? I realize that Turkey is the European equivalent to Mexico (ie a rich diaspora that allows you to play abroad in front of "home" fans) but I'd take whichever option gets Canada a better payday.

I was just musing that it makes for a bit longer travel, that is a long-ish flight even, over three hours. Then you add that going back. For no other reason. Same reason I did not look at Georgia, Armenia, the Kazakhs, all those.

I also left off Israel although they are playing in Central Europe recently, Belarus, I think we should simplify things.

Also looked at African teams, but they are playing World Cup qualilfiers that window.

21 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

Easy there, fella. "2nd friendly options" and "another match this June window" are causing heart palpitations for some of us oldsters. We're not used to this level of excitement.

I legit got sent home with a blood pressure cuff yesterday after a visit to the doctor, so let’s dole out the excitement is small doses.  

@Unnamed Trialist I like the Turkey idea the most and I think Austria is a very sensible location for both teams. For them, very close to Germany where the Euros take place. And for us, a bit less travel than going all the way to Turkey. If the Turks are playing in Italy it also doesn't make sense for them to fly east, then west again. Maybe even playing in Italy makes sense, but perhaps you get more fans out in Austria, given the demographics and proximity to Germany (not that Italy is terribly far, but still). 

France obviously would be a phenomenal game to play. Better travel than going to Central Europe also. 

I suppose any of these options are attractive, really. 

Copa America starts on the 20th. Is it best to play twice in Europe, then fly into Atlanta? Or do we wanna jet from Europe on the 6th and play a second game somewhere in the Southern US? I guess it's 6 in 1, half dozen in the other?

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Can't we play one of the other Copa-bound nations in Toronto or Vancouver in the period between 06/06 and the start of the tournament?

Eh, if we qualify we're getting three CONMEBOL teams we normally don't play. Anyone we would conceivably play would be Concacaf teams that we see enough of as is or other CONMEBOL teams. If we're already in Europe we may as well get two matches against UEFA teams we don't normally play, either! When in Rome, er, Rotterdam.

56 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Also looked at African teams, but they are playing World Cup qualilfiers that window.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

@Olympique_de_Marseille

do some work for the CSA, who else is available to play so we can have a two match window. 

Ok, let's start with the non-UEFA teams.

OFC - Unavailable due to OFC Nations Cup
AFC - Unavailable due to World Cup Qualifying
CAF - Unavailable due to World Cup Qualifying
CONCACAF - Unavailable due to World Cup Qualifying or other friendlies ( + why travel to Europe to play a CONCACAF team)

CONMEBOL

These are the teams that have confirmed friendlies in the USA in June and would not be available:
Argentina
Ecuador
Brazil
Uruguay
Colombia

These are the teams that may yet travel to Europe:
Paraguay
Venezuela
Bolivia

Peru (but we can't play them in a friendly if we qualify for the Copa America since they would be in our group)
Chile (but we can't play them in a friendly if we qualify for Copa America since they would be in our group)

@Unnamed Trialist has done a good job with that opening post and the UEFA teams but I will try to take a look.

5 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Eh, if we qualify we're getting three CONMEBOL teams we normally don't play. Anyone we would conceivably play would be Concacaf teams that we see enough of as is or other CONMEBOL teams. If we're already in Europe we may as well get two matches against UEFA teams we don't normally play, either! When in Rome, er, Rotterdam.

Yeah, playing at home when it's feasible is just stupid.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

Yeah, playing at home when it's feasible is just stupid.

You don't need to be rude about this. Quite a few of our potential host stadiums have tenants who are playing through June and so those dates are already blocked off. You're free to provide suggestions rather than being sarcastic.

1 hour ago, Mihairokov said:

The options in the OP post would all be good to varying degrees. Think something like Poland/Northern Ireland would be better than facing two stronger teams back-to-back. Assuming we qualify for Copa it might be tough to get spanked by Holland and Spain/France and then have to fly to the US to play Argentina.

I like the idea of N Ireland for similar reasons, you can rotate more of the squad, rest some, look at new faces. Though Turkey would also be a great challenge, they have slipped in recent years, are not as deadly as the Dutch, but still.

For me it is better to have a second match, but not as demanding as the first. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

We wouldn’t have to play against a team prepping for Euros would we? Obviously it would be of benefit to the other country but still benefits us if we could do someone who missed out like Norway, Ireland or Sweden (unless I’m missing something)

I've checked, all busy.

I'm not into playing a minnow either, although one of the Baltic States could be okay..... have to check.... checked...all busy.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've checked, all busy.

I'm not into playing a minnow either, although one of the Baltic States could be okay..... have to check.... checked...all busy.

Minnow?  I would be fine playing Holland and any other Euro country that would be willing.

For me it is more efficient to play Netherlands, have a rest day for the starters and train those who didn't play, in the late morning, then a short flight to the next game site. Like to Belfast, or from Netherlands, you are going to fly two hours say to the next venue, short flight. Next day back onto regular training schedule, same Sunday, play Monday or Tuesday. It is efficient. Then after that last match, a the light training in the morn and fly back to North America. 

It is an efficient way to do things. 5-6 guys start both games, you could switch the keepers, maybe 18-19 will actually get playing time. All the core is primed 

Fly back to North America to a training site, ideally near the venue of the first match. 

• Unnamed Trialist changed the title to 2nd Friendly vs. France, 9 June 2024, 9:15 pm, Bordeaux