Ali Ahmed

toontownman

20 minutes ago, narduch said:

Whitecaps fans, is Ahmed even back in training?

I haven't heard anything since @Watchmen updated us 10 days ago where he was just "running in a straight line".

Listed as injured for tomorrow's match at Colorado:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/vancouver-whitecaps-road-losing-streak-061702687.html

but will join up with the #CanMNT on Friday:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/ahmed-called-up-canada-gold-cup

Soo... who knows?!?

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I haven't heard anything since @Watchmen updated us 10 days ago where he was just "running in a straight line".

Soo... who knows?!?

I bet he gets replaced by Choiniere. 

I believe we have up to 24 hours before our 1st match to make injury changes

43 minutes ago, narduch said:

I bet he gets replaced by Choiniere. 

I believe we have up to 24 hours before our 1st match to make injury changes

46 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Soo... who knows?!?

I remember reading that the expectation is he'd be good to go by the end of the month.

I wonder what the player thinks of that?  Its got to be an honor to get called, come into camp and rub shoulders with all the guys.  Andeveryone wants to play eh?  After that its just whether he takes that chance and runs with it..and mb he gets semi regular call ups after that and has a nice little INT adventure with canada eh? I'm not sure if he would look at it as a cynical cap tie, he was born in Canada, maybe its a dream come true to get this shot?  

2 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Anyone whos questioning this call up has to re study Ali... hes been one of the best players for the Caps this year. I would honestly rather start a fully healthy Ahmed over Schopf in the midfield at this point (and thats saying something as i still think hes also the best LB Vancouver has)

I was going to mention that about Schöpf.  I think he has his job at the moment.

Really looking forward to seeing Ali play for Canada. I've been very impressed with him since he started with the Caps MLS2 team last season. In pre-season this year, he was impressing with the senior team. Vanni - to his credit - moved Ali to the central midfield and he's looked even better. He's a slick passer who is always turning the ball upfield and jumping into the attack. Similar to Kone in some ways minus the physicality. The physical part of the game needs to improve. But for those of you who haven't seen him, I expect you will be impressed.

11 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Really looking forward to seeing Ali play for Canada. I've been very impressed with him since he started with the Caps MLS2 team last season. In pre-season this year, he was impressing with the senior team. Vanni - to his credit - moved Ali to the central midfield and he's looked even better. He's a slick passer who is always turning the ball upfield and jumping into the attack. Similar to Kone in some ways minus the physicality. The physical part of the game needs to improve. But for those of you who haven't seen him, I expect you will be impressed.

Thanks for the report. I am probably one of the few old heads around here that hasn't seen him play, aside from a scattered highlight. Sounds very positive though. He's light on pro experience for a 22 year old, but if he's as good as you make him sound, he'll close that gap and catch up pretty quickly, I bet. 

No bump for this little gem?

Well deserved MOTM tonight. Gave me Kone vibes in how he not only didn't look out of place at international level but looked good.  Some really impressive moments. While it's still early days this was a great debut for someone short of match fitness.

Edited by toontownman

40 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Well deserved MOTM tonight. Gave me Kone vibes in how he not only didn't look out of place at international level but looked good.  Some really impressive moments. While it's still early days this was a great debut for someone short of match fitness.

Really liked him. Vibes of Buchanan debuts imo.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

If this is him short of match fitness I'm fully aboard the Ali Ahmed train!  

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I’ll take 3 more of him please.

The way him and Choiniere are currently playing, I’m more hopeful for our depth in the midfield.  Hopefully one or both can take the next step in the coming years but a top MLS midfielder still has the opportunity to contribute to this program regularly until some other players rise to higher levels. 

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Super impressive debut. His 1v1 and skill on the ball is tops.  Really looking forward to seeing how he progresses over the next year! Shocked that he went 90 given his recent injury and lack of playing time. He seems to play like a quasi winger vs a CM. Where has he been playing with the Whitecaps?

He’s spent virtually all his time since the season started as the left-sided 8 in a 4-3-2-1. 

A good chunk of the season has looked like this:

White

Gauld.                  Vite

Ahmed.         Cubas.          Gressel

Martins.   Blackmon.   Veselinovic  Brown

Takaoka

with Ahmed and Schöpf splitting time on the left. There may have been a game or two where Gressel was unavailable and Ahmed switched over to the right, but I can’t recall. He tends to start deep and make driving runs with the ball into the left-hand side of the box before squaring it on the ground. He and fellow WFC2 grad Simon Becher combine well.

Vanni has been experimenting with three at the back again, most notably against LAFC out of necessity. 3-1-4-2.

I can see something like this being one look for Ahmed going forward.

White.    Cordova 

Gauld.       Ahmed        Schöpf/Vite.        Gressel

Cubas

Blackmon.  Veselinovic.  Laborda

Takaoka

edit: forgot Gauld.

Gauld and Ahmed both drift into those wide areas, so you can just as easily flip the two in that lineup. Gauld was on the left against LAFC and was VERY effective, so that may be where he stays for the time being.

Edited by footballfreak