Ali Ahmed

toontownman

Pleasure to watch him. Still raw and made mistakes. Needs to learn how to use his weight better defending on the break but he is so good strength wise and persistence when on the ball and bringing it forward. So calm and positive in general. 

Must be in the next squad if fit.

36 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see this kid in Europe in the near future 

I guess it depends what you mean by "near future", but I think he'll be back with the Whitecaps next year.  This was his year to break in to the squad.  Next year will be the one they really hope he breaks out in.

15 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I guess it depends what you mean by "near future", but I think he'll be back with the Whitecaps next year.  This was his year to break in to the squad.  Next year will be the one they really hope he breaks out in.

Most likely but if he continues to shine for the Caps then the CSA find a ton of cash and we have friendlies in fall he also shines in, I could see clubs looking at him for January.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Most likely but if he continues to shine for the Caps then the CSA find a ton of cash and we have friendlies in fall he also shines in, I could see clubs looking at him for January.

I could see that, but I think it would have to be a (relatively) pretty big offer.

26 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think he should continue to build a body of work for the Caps and then see what happens after 2024.  If he shows durability as well as production, then he can see where his journey goes.

32 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I was just thinking about how ridiculous Alphonso Davies was as a teenager. Ahmed is like six months older than him.

That said, everyone moves at their own pace and Ahmed seems like he's here to stay now (for Canada anyway).

7 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I was just thinking about how ridiculous Alphonso Davies was as a teenager. Ahmed is like six months older than him.

I've always felt that higher profile moves can move more quickly for you when you are a late teenager because the club sees more of your developmental upside that they can mold (i.e. Davies and also Kone).  When you are older than that after you breakthrough, I think you need to build more of a cv at your club and then see what happens:  it's more a case of such a player's skillset helping a club right now and not needing seasoning below the first team to contribute.  

Ahmed for me today was not on his game, he did not even understand what game he was playing. Tried to dipsy doodle, spin, twist, and was dispossessed; was slow on the ball receiving and releasing; he covered a very small part of the pitch (had no range), and was nullified. Just having him pinch in from where he normally is at Caps, where he often plays wider, he lost those few metres extra and was pressured. Overly. So that is a player who was not good enough on the night.

So I don't think that his GC can be given such a high rating. I like him too, before that injury in the V-Cup, he's promising, but tonight was not a good game for him. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Felt like he was the best player in the first half had some nice dribbles but also some very good through balls. Best performance since the Gold Cup?

Does lots of good things out there.  However, he still needs to hit the weight room because he gets outmuscled in physical 50/50s too easily without being able to draw/sell fouls.

17 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Does lots of good things out there.  However, he still needs to hit the weight room because he gets outmuscled in physical 50/50s too easily without being able to draw/sell fouls.

I think the bolded part is the better option. His body type suggests he is more like Atiba vs Cava/Miller

• 1 month later...