Ali Ahmed

toontownman

13 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Gotta believe that he starts the second game of the LAFC series.  Neither Vite nor Schöpf is providing the offensive service needed.

The Whitecaps scored twice.  It was defending set pieces that let them down.  But, I think the theory was that they'd use Schopf to help keep the game close and then put on Ahmed to run at tired LA legs at the end.  Clearly, that didn't work.

13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The Whitecaps scored twice.  It was defending set pieces that let them down.  But, I think the theory was that they'd use Schopf to help keep the game close and then put on Ahmed to run at tired LA legs at the end.  Clearly, that didn't work.

The first goal was a complete cadeau of a giveaway; that was far from providing offensive service.  However, that was a very nice header by Adekugbe from that excellent free kick placement by Gauld (I missed the lead up to the free kick).

When Schöpf first arrived, I was expecting an 8 that could chip in with offensive contributions from the central midfield but since he scored very early in the year (via a pass from the since departed Gressel), he hasn't done much in that area and his role has been more defensive with linking play (which honestly is undervalued).  Vite runs too hot and cold for me at the moment:  makes some nice linking plays, then gets loose with possession, but is more peripheral and doesn't drive into the box like Ahmed is able to.

Tough setting opening the playoffs at the home of the defending champs, but coming home they need to ask way more questions of the LAFC back line and get their other guys pinned back more to deal with them.  It doesn't solve the team's own Benny Hill antics defending dead ball situations, but it allows them to call the tune while LAFC faces more of the music.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 2 months later...

Does it seem that European clubs are less reticent about signing young Canadian footballers these days? Slightly less reticent?  Has Davies and David, even Buchanan, paved the way for guys like Kone and Ahmed?  Or are most European clubs still stand-offish when it comes to Canadian homegrown talent? (And, yes, I know that Europe is not a single-minded entity.)

3 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Does it seem that European clubs are less reticent about signing young Canadian footballers these days? Slightly less reticent?  Has Davies and David, even Buchanan, paved the way for guys like Kone and Ahmed?  Or are most European clubs still stand-offish when it comes to Canadian homegrown talent? (And, yes, I know that Europe is not a single-minded entity.)

I think the “clubs are scared of North American players” thing is a bit of an exaggeration. I think MLS is a strong enough level that European scouts can determine if a player’s skill can be translated over to a European league. I think where clubs may get cold feet is with the CPL, USL and lower, where I think clubs would prefer to acquire guys from lower European, South American, or African leagues. Whitecaps already have an international superstar under their belt and a few guys who have made it to very good levels in Europe. If Ahmed is good enough for them, he’s good enough to get a shot abroad.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

@masster How likely is Fiorentina's actual interest?

I follow Fiorentina news daily and hadn't heard anything about this. So I searched out the interview to take a listen:
https://www.firenzeviola.it/l-esclusiva/sartini-a-rfv-io-fiorentino-in-mls-ai-viola-consiglio-412866

Sartini is from Florence and a Fiorentina fan, so that is the main reason for the interview. They talk about his background, how he came to MLS, the level of play in the league, potentially coaching against Messi, etc.

At 9:51 is when they jokingly ask him, "Do you have any players in Vancouver that could be useful to Fiorentina?" That is when he name drops Ahmed and Gauld as two players that could play in Europe. Regarding Ahmed, he says he doesn't expect him to remain in Vancouver much longer with a move to Europe either this year or next.

So is there actual Fiorentina interest? I doubt it. This was just an off the cuff remark.

Edited by masster

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Would definitely not mind another promising young player moving to Europe for a solid club.   

Fair ball, but I would certainly not mind Ahmed staying and having a great start to the season, then perhaps move in the summer or after the MLS season ends. Better for him to further cement his skills and game sense? Potentially better for VWFC in terms of transfer fee?

32 minutes ago, costarg said:

My money is 100% on this guy to make the next big leap to a top 5 league or major team in a lower league.  Saliba close second.

If Saliba has a good start to the season, I could see him leaving in the summer.

He is Priso before the injury.