Ali Ahmed

toontownman

Looks like Ahmed has already learned some hard lessons about developing as a player. Maybe another Canadian player who got bad advice, no advice or as he admits "he was a kid learning how to be a man".

In 2018, he’d been on trial with TFC, who were ready to sign him into their academy. But he opted to eschew that for a chance to play for the U-19 side of Portuguese La Liga club Belenenses. 

The move to Europe came without an agent to guide him, and Ali didn’t know he couldn’t play until he had turned 18. The next open transfer window was still a few months away when he turned 18 in October, and, like Toronto, opted to try his luck in Spain instead.

It backfired spectacularly. He trained with various lower tier teams, living in hotels, spinning his wheels.

“I was impatient for sure. I was impatient, and made my first mistake,” he said. “I had no clue (about the age requirement). I just thought that they were saying that just to (mess) with me.

“I didn’t really understand what I really had going over there in Portugal. I heard if I had stayed two more weeks, I would have been ready to go in league matches, and that kind of hurt because playing U-19 first division in Portugal would have been huge for me.

He flew back to Toronto, and with no team to play for, trained on his own for months. He and some friends hopped the fence at 5 a.m. to train on TFC’s grounds, until security kicked them out.

He flew back to Portugal, to the Netherlands, then the U.K., all the while paying his own way and staying in hotels.

Back in Toronto, his youth coach connected him with Whitecaps residency coach Steve Meadley, who invited him to a trial with the Caps in November 2019, another chance cut short by COVID-19. A year later, he returned to Vancouver, and this time impressed then-head coach Vanni Sartini, who converted him from a No. 10 to a wingback.

He lives with his aunt and uncle in Surrey, but has been making the trip to the University of B.C. by transit — two hours each way, every day — for a year.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/the-road-less-travelled-for-whitecaps-prospect-ali-ahmed

15 hours ago, red card said:

Looks like Ahmed has already learned some hard lessons about developing as a player. Maybe another Canadian player who got bad advice, no advice or as he admits "he was a kid learning how to be a man".

In 2018, he’d been on trial with TFC, who were ready to sign him into their academy. But he opted to eschew that for a chance to play for the U-19 side of Portuguese La Liga club Belenenses. 

The move to Europe came without an agent to guide him, and Ali didn’t know he couldn’t play until he had turned 18. The next open transfer window was still a few months away when he turned 18 in October, and, like Toronto, opted to try his luck in Spain instead.

It backfired spectacularly. He trained with various lower tier teams, living in hotels, spinning his wheels.

“I was impatient for sure. I was impatient, and made my first mistake,” he said. “I had no clue (about the age requirement). I just thought that they were saying that just to (mess) with me.

“I didn’t really understand what I really had going over there in Portugal. I heard if I had stayed two more weeks, I would have been ready to go in league matches, and that kind of hurt because playing U-19 first division in Portugal would have been huge for me.

He flew back to Toronto, and with no team to play for, trained on his own for months. He and some friends hopped the fence at 5 a.m. to train on TFC’s grounds, until security kicked them out.

He flew back to Portugal, to the Netherlands, then the U.K., all the while paying his own way and staying in hotels.

Back in Toronto, his youth coach connected him with Whitecaps residency coach Steve Meadley, who invited him to a trial with the Caps in November 2019, another chance cut short by COVID-19. A year later, he returned to Vancouver, and this time impressed then-head coach Vanni Sartini, who converted him from a No. 10 to a wingback.

He lives with his aunt and uncle in Surrey, but has been making the trip to the University of B.C. by transit — two hours each way, every day — for a year.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/the-road-less-travelled-for-whitecaps-prospect-ali-ahmed

I feel bad for him, but at the same time a pretty dumb decision he made. Kind of surprised no one in his life made him do a double take (or maybe they did and he was too pig-headed to listen, idk).

However, to stick with it and make it shows his high level of grit, which will take you very far. I also can't help but wonder how he paid his own way when travelling through Europe -- not every has that ability.

I've only seen highlight clips as I haven't watched a Whitecaps match yet this year but he looks like a really good combiner. Hope he sticks in the middle.

P.S. If he had played Football Manager he would have been aware of the Portuguese rules

On 4/3/2023 at 11:37 PM, footballfreak said:

With Raposo injured/questionable, and Martins doing Martins things, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ahmed start at left back on Wednesday (CCL). Even if Raposo is fit, Ahmed offers more defensively against an opponent as strong as LAFC. D1D26C85-ABE2-4C33-86DC-E70F96CDA1F2.thumb.jpeg.0793fb475d421ad7ec4444ee368e7512.jpeg

Do you have a link to Raposo's injury status.  I didn't know he was hurt. I thought they sat him so he could be ready to start tonight.

23 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Do you have a link to Raposo's injury status.  I didn't know he was hurt. I thought they sat him so he could be ready to start tonight.

I was under the impression he sat against Montreal because he picked up a slight knock, but it was precautionary. I may be misremembering though. Moot point now. He looked fine last night.

He looks the real deal.  Goes forwards like Teibert goes backwards. But seriously, nice to see someone drive forward almost every time he touches the ball and either make something happen or draw a foul. And he doesn’t go into blind alleys. Or lose it unnecessarily.

Still a small sample size but I thought this year we were going to see one of the 3 young CFMontreal midfielders (Saliba, Rea, or Zouhir) emerge but it looks like Ahmed may be the one. 

5 hours ago, An Observer said:

He looks the real deal.  Goes forwards like Teibert goes backwards. But seriously, nice to see someone drive forward almost every time he touches the ball and either make something happen or draw a foul. And he doesn’t go into blind alleys. Or lose it unnecessarily.

Still a small sample size but I thought this year we were going to see one of the 3 young CFMontreal midfielders (Saliba, Rea, or Zouhir) emerge but it looks like Ahmed may be the one. 

I think the MTL 3 will still emerge but it’s clear MTL is in need of talent up top… (Quioto our only good striker, Lassi is a solid depth piece) 

Ahmed looks great and so does our LWB future…

now if only we can get that CB spot sorted.

6 hours ago, An Observer said:

Applauded off the pitch when subbed out.  People recognizing his contributions, and I think he's becoming a bit of a fan favourite. 

Can't find much on this guys past. 

Born in TO, trialed for TFC academy, but he refused to sign their offer, which is strange (but shows intelligence!)

Goes to Europe, trials for a few teams, but can't sign due to age, then pops up in VWC academy and moves up.  Strange path, but seems to be working...

Anyone know more? 

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Can't find much on this guys past. 

Born in TO, trialed for TFC academy, but he refused to sign their offer, which is strange (but shows intelligence!)

Goes to Europe, trials for a few teams, but can't sign due to age, then pops up in VWC academy and moves up.  Strange path, but seems to be working...

Anyone know more? 

7 hours ago, An Observer said:

This.  He attacks the space and takes guys on in the attacking third, not kill the play recycling the pass or just moving it immediately.  He has the looks of a guy opponents need to game plan against or at least be cogizant of.

Also, he drew a lot of fouls in the process and when you have guys like Gressel bringng the dead ball service, that is so valuable, as well.

He had a few moments of loose possession and will also need to work on the defensive side of his game, but I think this guy is a baller.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

This.  He attacks the space and takes guys on in the attacking third, not kill the play recycling the pass or just moving it immediately.  He has the looks of a guy opponents need to game plan against or at least be cogizant of.

Also, he drew a lot of fouls in the process and when you have guys like Gressel bringng the dead ball service, that is so valuable, as well.

He had a few moments of loose possession and will also need to work on the defensive side of his game, but I think this guy is a baller.

Very much concur with this take. He's comfortable playing in the No. 8 role in the midfield with an attacking flair we don't see from many of our CMs. Think he will have to be considered part of the CanMNT picture before end of the year at this rate.

7 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Very much concur with this take. He's comfortable playing in the No. 8 role in the midfield with an attacking flair we don't see from many of our CMs. Think he will have to be considered part of the CanMNT picture before end of the year at this rate.

I really like what I am seeing so far, and he certainly does not seem overwhelmed by playing at the MLS level, but I would like to see another dozen or so games before I know how he might, or might not, slot into the CMNT.  He was fouled a lot yesterday, mostly because he is fearless and decisive going forward, and he had several intelligent layoffs, which I find encouraging. (Some young attacking players just run headlong into a throng of defenders to no avail.) He seems smart. But he is damned skinny, which need not hold him back, but he will need to get stronger. At least as strong as Atiba. And he will need to tidy up his dribbling and passing, but that is to be expected from a young player playing his first minutes at this level. But he has a lovely touch, and if he keeps learning the game as quickly as he seems to, and if he can put on some muscle, then we may indeed have a new prospect for the CMNT soon enough.  He's got a fair bit of learning to do on the defensive side, but I get the impression the kid is willing to learn and put the work in.  Must admit he was probably the most exciting player on the pitch again last night. (Gauld had some very good moments, but Ali was busier all game.)

19 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I really like what I am seeing so far, and he certainly does not seem overwhelmed by playing at the MLS level, but I would like to see another dozen or so games before I know how he might, or might not, slot into the CMNT.  He was fouled a lot yesterday, mostly because he is fearless and decisive going forward, and he had several intelligent layoffs, which I find encouraging. (Some young attacking players just run headlong into a throng of defenders to no avail.) He seems smart. But he is damned skinny, which need not hold him back, but he will need to get stronger. At least as strong as Atiba. And he will need to tidy up his dribbling and passing, but that is to be expected from a young player playing his first minutes at this level. But he has a lovely touch, and if he keeps learning the game as quickly as he seems to, and if he can put on some muscle, then we may indeed have a new prospect for the CMNT soon enough.  He's got a fair bit of learning to do on the defensive side, but I get the impression the kid is willing to learn and put the work in.  Must admit he was probably the most exciting player on the pitch again last night. (Gauld had some very good moments, but Ali was busier all game.)

I didn't think Gauld was firing on all cylinders but he leads by example with his defensive work rate even if things aren't clicking for him offensively.  Gressel has been the offensive catalyst moreso thus far this season.

As for Ahmed's physique, is he that much different from Laryea or (for older timers like me), former USNT standout DeMarcus Beasley?

He's a direct player who takes guys on, attacks the space and, in doing so, makes space for others, like for Gauld.  That is a huge plus in his game.  

Hopefully, he can be a consistent performer/starter at club level.  With Schöpf looking like he has inherited the Erik Godoy Durability Award from the departed Gutierrez, he should see lots of action. And like you say, we get to see much more of a sample of how he would fit into the NT player pool.

Edited by BearcatSA

On 4/9/2023 at 4:52 AM, An Observer said:

Ahmed is a 2000 so I'm glad to see he's doing it this year.  He needs to lock down a semi-regular spot (at least) this year.

Rea is an '02, Zouhir is an '03 and Saliba is an '04.  I still like the trajectory of those players.  If CFM can figure out a few things, they should be in a good spot.

33 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Ahmed is a 2000 so I'm glad to see he's doing it this year.  He needs to lock down a semi-regular spot (at least) this year.

Rea is an '02, Zouhir is an '03 and Saliba is an '04.  I still like the trajectory of those players.  If CFM can figure out a few things, they should be in a good spot.

Agreed. They have more time on their side but just thought one of them would emerge this year. I guess there is still time for that this year but when I have watched CFM, they all seem very green.  

And also worth noting that Ahmed is the same age as Davies.