Ali Ahmed

toontownman

On 5/18/2023 at 11:00 PM, Watchmen said:

They're rotating the squad right now.  His being on the bench is not a indictment of his play.

He should have at least seen the field for the final 15 minutes of the Dallas game when they were down only one goal. 

Edited by BearcatSA

37 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

He should have at least seen the field for the final 15 minutes of the Dallas game when they were done only one goal. 

I don't disagree, especially since half the team looked exhausted and there was a lot of walking. That's just different from starting.

We know he'll get the start next Wednesday. Will be interesting to see if he starts on Saturday as well.

13 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't disagree, especially since half the team looked exhausted and there was a lot of walking. That's just different from starting.

We know he'll get the start next Wednesday. Will be interesting to see if he starts on Saturday as well.

I think he starts on Saturday, too.

On 4/17/2023 at 12:57 AM, yothat2 said:

assuming there's no threat of Ali playing for Ethiopia or Somali 

Since has been called up to the provisional list for the Gold Cup.

His background is Oromo - an ethnic group in Ethiopia. Some in diaspora are not too keen on Ethiopia as currently constituted and support seperatist movements. No idea if that applies in Ahmed's case, but if it does, may be that he isnt considering Ethiopia at all.

As an aside the Ethiopian NT is actually touring the U.S. in the summer and has a friendly scheduled with Guyana. They haven't been as keen on recruiting dual nationals for whatever reason.  

What a tragic set back in what was shaping up to be the best year of his career. Right after he scored a brilliant goal too.

Really hope this isn’t a career or life altering injury and that he can return to the pitch again. 

To me it looked like a shoulder or collarbone injury after the first couple replays. It looked like his head didn't hit the ground at least, but I didn't pay enough attention to his neck to see if that could be the injury. When it drew on longer I started questioning my initial feeling but haven't seen the replay again since.

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

To me it looked like a shoulder or collarbone injury after the first couple replays. It looked like his head didn't hit the ground at least, but I didn't pay enough attention to his neck to see if that could be the injury. When it drew on longer I started questioning my initial feeling but haven't seen the replay again since.

It was just such an awkward twisting fall. Neck or even vertebrae a concern, I'd imagine.

7 hours ago, pod818 said:

I am going to be optimistic and say it looks worse than it is. He may have been concussed and lost consciousness briefly, but that can be something fully recoverable and I'm hoping thats as bad as it gets...

4 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Pleased to say my assessment was accurate

This is why he got moved to CM in the first place. From left back he picks up too much speed on his runs and forces defenders to chop him down. Incredibly irresponsible from Vanni. /s

In all seriousness, as relieving as the news is, it’s important to remember that “just a concussion” still has potentially career and life-altering ramifications. Ali, I’m sure, will want to get back to playing as soon as possible, but it will be up to the Whitecaps to manage his return responsibly. Don’t turn this into a Taylor Twellman situation.