Ali Ahmed

toontownman

29 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Fabulous debut for Ahmed. Let's support hime reasonably with opportunity to grow and without outrageous pressure or expectations. He is what, 19?

22 turning 23.  

He’s trending in a very good way.  Has tremendous confidence in his play this season.  You hit the nail on the head about expectations and pressure.  

Offensively, he makes things happen and did so this evening or several occasions.  The only negative I saw was on the lead up to the first goal where the guy dribbled by him far too easily.  He needs to get stronger as he sometimes gets outmuscled.  However, I liked a lot of what I saw tonight on the attack:  he has a trickery about him, not unlike Laryea. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Weird comp, but he reminds me of a younger, more offensively gifted Laryea. One of those guys where every time he gets the ball you look up expecting something cool to happen. 

I see that too. I think Laryea is the best comparison. The difference is that Laryea is a little more straight line and direct, while Ahmed seems a little more cerebral and willing to dish the ball off. Aside from that, really close comparison. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Weird comp, but he reminds me of a younger, more offensively gifted Laryea. One of those guys where every time he gets the ball you look up expecting something cool to happen. 

This is a good one too, I actually had a flash of that when they combined once on the right wing.

One thing I noticed was Wheeler mentioning, multiple times, that Ahmed was looked over by local clubs and this put a chip on Ahmed's shoulder. However, this article says that TFC were actually wanting to sign him but he decided to try Europe. Is there more to the story, or is Wheeler simply being uninformed again?

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/the-road-less-travelled-for-whitecaps-prospect-ali-ahmed

11 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Ali Ahmed going to Europe...if that's true what clubs are interested 

No one right now.  The article is about how he tried to go to Europe, but didn't meet the age requirements at the time.  Made some mistakes that maybe set his career back a bit, but it's clearly back on track now.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

No one right now.  The article is about how he tried to go to Europe, but didn't meet the age requirements at the time.  Made some mistakes that maybe set his career back a bit, but it's clearly back on track now.

I feel it won't be long.  The guy has composure and confidence by the buckets.  Think i'm in love.  How do i tell the family?

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Might sound strange, but I liked how physical he was. Several times knew he was going to take a tackle but never stopped going 100% or showing any signs of apprehension. Was dangerous all night, and made the second goal.

As in willing to take contact to draw a foul, that's a positive.  I just thought he needed to do way better against the guy on the dribble on the first goal.