Ali Ahmed

toontownman

Made his MLS debut for the caps tonight playing 35ish minutes. 

• Date of birth/Age: Oct 10, 2000 (21)
  • Citizenship: Canada Canada
  • Height: 1,80 m
  • Position: Defender/Wingback (left)

Been playing with WC2. Some stats about him from: https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/whitecaps-fc-sign-wfc2-wingback-ali-ahmed-and-midfielder-vasco-fry-to-mls-short- 

Whitecaps FC wingback Ali Ahmed

• Has played every minute for WFC2 in MLS NEXT Pro this season
  • Leads MLS NEXT Pro in fouls suffered, second in successful dribbles and tackles won, tied for sixth in key passes
  • Spent preseason with Whitecaps FC first team, making one start in four appearances

Ahmed, 21, has played every minute of all four matches for WFC2 in MLS NEXT Pro this season, tallying one assist at Real Monarchs on April 2. Playing as a wingback, he leads MLS NEXT Pro in fouls suffered, is second in successful dribbles as well as tackles won, and is tied for sixth in key passes.

The native of Toronto, Ontario spent preseason with the first team, traveling to San Diego and making four appearances, including one start. Prior to coming to Vancouver, Ahmed played at Centennial college in the Ontario Colleges Athletic Association and joined the Whitecaps FC U-23 team in 2020 after an extended trial.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Happy for him. Wonder if he goes on loan to the cpl or they shift one of Guti or Martins. 3 LWBs is a bit excessive but maybe wise for depth given the latter twos injury record.

They just re-upped Martins. But given how often Gutierrez is injured I could see them sticking with all 3, assuming they even keep Gutierrez at all.

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They just re-upped Martins. But given how often Gutierrez is injured I could see them sticking with all 3, assuming they even keep Gutierrez at all.

I am just happy that they are going with left footed players in the widest left positions and getting away from inverted wingbacks.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched Ahmed in-person at a Whitecaps pre-season game today. Really impressed by him. Played LB and I expect he will be the starter for the Caps before we're too far into the season. 

Moves the ball quickly and effectively with excellent passing up the sidelines or with passes through the midfield. Set up the only Caps goal with a great pass splitting Charlotte's defense. Can also dribble out of trouble. 

Defensively, he's a little on the scrawny side but seems to be able to handle himself with the physicality and speed of opponents. 

Skills remind me a little of Richie Laryea (minus the combativeness). If it wasn't for all the competition for the National Team on the left, I would have predicted he would get a call up in the next year or so. 

6 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Watched Ahmed in-person at a Whitecaps pre-season game today. Really impressed by him. Played LB and I expect he will be the starter for the Caps before we're too far into the season. 

Moves the ball quickly and effectively with excellent passing up the sidelines or with passes through the midfield. Set up the only Caps goal with a great pass splitting Charlotte's defense. Can also dribble out of trouble. 

Defensively, he's a little on the scrawny side but seems to be able to handle himself with the physicality and speed of opponents. 

Skills remind me a little of Richie Laryea (minus the combativeness). If it wasn't for all the competition for the National Team on the left, I would have predicted he would get a call up in the next year or so. 

Has he featured more at the LB spot than Gutierrez so far? 

Also, the club gave Martins a fairly rich contract extension for this year so I am not so sure they'll be putting him in a background role any time soon.  

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Has he featured more at the LB spot than Gutierrez so far? 

Also, the club gave Martins a fairly rich contract extension for this year so I am not so sure they'll be putting him in a background role any time soon.  

I gather that Gutierrez is still out injured? He's nowhere to be seen. 

The Martins extension seemed more like a defensive signing - to ensure they had some veteran depth on that side if Gutierrez were to leave. Martins is very replaceable.

43 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

I gather that Gutierrez is still out injured? He's nowhere to be seen. 

The Martins extension seemed more like a defensive signing - to ensure they had some veteran depth on that side if Gutierrez were to leave. Martins is very replaceable.

They signed him to two years and an option.  He won't be that replaceable on those terms, at least.

Martins, similar to Gutierrez, does not seem to be the iron man type but more of the durability from the School of Godoy.  And with that, Ahmed should get a good chance to impress.  However, like Raposo competing on the other side, he has to learn the subtleties of a new position.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...