Ali Ahmed

toontownman

While a concussion can be quite serious, the slow motion replay last night, and the subsequent level of care (including the white sheet protection) had me wondering if he had done something extremely severe. At one point I was wondering if he had actually broken his neck so while a concussion is absolutely serious, given what happened on the field it is probably about the best case scenario. 

5 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Relieved to hear that he is okay; hoping that he makes a full recovery, and as quickly as reasonably possible. Kid was having a breakout year on a team that seems to be finally putting the pieces together.

That's not your catch phrase:  it's "finally turning the corner."  🙂

Seriously, you can use either one with this and it is great that Ahmed has been a notable part of that progress..

Edited by BearcatSA

35 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

While a concussion can be quite serious, the slow motion replay last night, and the subsequent level of care (including the white sheet protection) had me wondering if he had done something extremely severe. At one point I was wondering if he had actually broken his neck so while a concussion is absolutely serious, given what happened on the field it is probably about the best case scenario. 

I had similar thoughts. I saw someone on twitter mention that a potential reason for the privacy sheets was that they may have had to cut his shirt to splint his back.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

For sure. At the time I thought the best case scenario re:the sheets was an open clavicle fracture. Concussion (and presumably some ligament damage in his neck) was already a given.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

That's not your catch phrase:  it's "finally turning the corner."  🙂

Seriously, you can use either one this and it is great that Ahmed has been a notable part of that progress..

Ha!  Duly noted.  But I feel that they've evolved, ever so slightly, from "turning the corner", and seem to be "finally putting the pieces together." Next, should they continue to improve, will be: "This might actually be a proper football team." 

Baby steps. With plenty of cautious optimism.

17 hours ago, El Diego said:

I had similar thoughts. I saw someone on twitter mention that a potential reason for the privacy sheets was that they may have had to cut his shirt to splint his back.

That makes some sense. With what the problem ended up being the best I could come up with was to block light since you can have light sensitivity from concussions, but that feels like too much work when his eyes could just be closed/covered.

I think people are used to seeing people with some sort of neck brace on so the sheets would just cause panic if that's what they were covering up.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Is there any update on his injury and timeline for his return to the squad?

A week ago, Vanni said in an interview they were targeting the June 21st game against Colorado. I've heard it will probably be longer than that, but I heard that before the interview as well. He had only just returned to training at the time, and that consisted of "running in a straight line", not even turning or stopping abruptly. 

11 hours ago, footballfreak said:

It’s no secret that Caps fans are very high on Ahmed, so I wanted to get look at his stats to see if we are looking at him through rose coloured glasses or not. 

0C0B3DB5-6084-46DA-B312-F0E177DD42BB.thumb.jpeg.734f151e1746a9b58116204626d73ebc.jpeg41952C27-D199-47B4-8F9F-BA77EF70CEE4.jpeg.b4c3d729dc2204b62cf11e18773bbbe3.jpegA5B97A1F-BEEB-45C1-A41F-CFF914512A88.thumb.jpeg.95b7398a87afe7bf73aba7e8be0dc0e1.jpeg70555820-8977-48BB-A043-F40B6D15A540.thumb.jpeg.2c95b60a38305a79f2576ceb9101432e.jpeg52BB0608-FE64-41D0-9850-7D7566F739AC.jpeg.d07e31c70f8b266df207ad9499fe1587.jpeg36D66C84-DB2C-4977-9EF4-F101056FA801.thumb.jpeg.bc69a3a9e6e8b8b757ffd94b25f8d7f4.jpegDEF73C1D-6DC5-4F99-8A00-BFED5278DCBB.thumb.jpeg.e2214799f84048bb0d16bd01a805f406.jpegB49FFAE9-3E31-4416-B373-064AFF2AB00E.thumb.jpeg.ec159747a0329f119dcb9243d297612e.jpeg

No further comment.

This sort jives with the eye test. His passing needs work, but some of that was also just leaning how his teammates work and isn't overly concerning at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, sandman said:

Not to rain on the parade but isn't this a bit of a cheap call up? 9 professional games(he's 23 in October) where he looked not out of place, and he gets a full call-up? 

I think it's the fact he has not looked out of place that gets him the call. If he already looks like he belongs, that means he might have a nice ceiling on him.

9 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think it's the fact he has not looked out of place that gets him the call. If he already looks like he belongs, that means he might have a nice ceiling on him.

Not far off Buchanan (who also debuted at 22), although he had made a few more MLS appearances and was with the U23s. Ahmed is clearly highly rated though, sometimes you just know. We shall see. Still think Choiniere should also be there if Ahmed is.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Not far off Buchanan (who also debuted at 22), although he had made a few more MLS appearances and was with the U23s. Ahmed is clearly highly rated though, sometimes you just know. We shall see. Still think Choiniere should also be there if Ahmed is.

We should be leaving no stone unturned to find and invite talented guys under 23, and younger, to become familiar with the national system. Of course, yes, the CSA needs to get the U level camps and friendlies going again.

4 hours ago, sandman said:

Not to rain on the parade but isn't this a bit of a cheap call up? 9 professional games(he's 23 in October) where he looked not out of place, and he gets a full call-up? 

16* professional games. He’s quality and we need reinforcements. We wait any longer and another country comes knocking then everyone will say “why didn’t we cap tie him?!”. 

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

16* professional games. He’s quality and we need reinforcements. We wait any longer and another country comes knocking then everyone will say “why didn’t we cap tie him?!”. 

I think we have a better shot at him than Ethiopia, but I don't want to wait to find out lmao

11 hours ago, sandman said:

Aside from being wrong on his pro experience, you’re also underplaying how good he’s been for Vancouver. One of the best Canadians in MLS this season