Ali Ahmed

toontownman

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

My money is on Kone doing that first. Then Ahmed, then Saliba, then Stefanovic

Ya, I kinda considered Kone an already done deal.  Perhaps getting ahead of myself, but I just don't see him staying in Championship for another season.  He already technically belongs to a Serie A team.

5 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Ahmed plays with a fearlessness that is irresistible. And the fact that he is mostly always successful when he takes on defenders doesn't hurt. But his work rate is incredible, he doesn't give up, and he's still going to improve. If he fills out a bit, watch out...

I like that about his play.  He is a midfielder who drives into the p.a. on the dribble and can make things happen.  He's not a peripheral player whose default play is to recycle possession through a low risk/no reward path of least resistance:  thatbis refreshing

He has to show that he is an every match player and that he is durable for the load which that entails.  He is not a physical player and sometimes that poses a problem defending 1 v 1 with getting outmuscled.  But being allowed to play to his strengths as a more offensive 8 will keep him successful.

8 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I like that about his play.  He is a midfielder who drives into the p.a. on the dribble and can make things happen.  He's not a peripheral player whose default play is to recycle possession through a low risk/no reward path of least resistance:  thatbis refreshing

He has to show that he is an every match player and that he is durable for the load which that entails.  He is not a physical player and sometimes that poses a problem defending 1 v 1 with getting outmuscled.  But being allowed to play to his strengths as a more offensive 8 will keep him successful.

It's hard to figure out if he's "durable" or not because the one fluke injury was so severe I'm unsure of which times afterward he was held back for more precautionary reasons/still recovering. 

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's hard to figure out if he's "durable" or not because the one fluke injury was so severe I'm unsure of which times afterward he was held back for more precautionary reasons/still recovering. 

That's with any player in an overall assessment, not just him in particular.  Any lesser experienced players, regardless of physique, need to demonstrate that they can handle the wear and tear and be consistent starters.

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I wonder if his future is as a wingback similar to Laryea. Can’t help but think the two of them are very similar in terms of playing style and career trajectory (but Ahmed broke out a year younger). 

Well, Laryea looks like he is gone, and though I like how Ahmed was used in central midfield (where he made his best impression) maybe Schuster and Sartini see him as the RWB now?  They are not adverse to trying guys in other spots, such as Gressel in a more central mid position, so perhaps that happens here.

In the meantime, I would like them to get a real athletic, box to box grafter in one of the the 8 spots.

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I wonder if his future is as a wingback similar to Laryea. Can’t help but think the two of them are very similar in terms of playing style and career trajectory (but Ahmed broke out a year younger). 

Hope not, we're good at wingback and are lacking in midfield.  I feel he really stood out in the middle vs puts in honest days work at wingback.  

Just now, costarg said:

Hope not, we're good at wingback and are lacking in midfield.  I feel he really stood out in the middle vs puts in honest days work at wingback.  

I like him best at CM too but he's very much a swiaa army knife for me. Don't mind him being moved around to plug in holes. Just means he sees more of the field for club and (hopefully) country. 

• 3 weeks later...

The article and the tweet it references says it’ll take “a few” weeks, not the “several” which the tweet says. I guess it’s semantics and they both mean the same thing, but the article makes it seem like a quicker recovery time than the tweet does. Not sure what the recovery for a hernia operation is though.

Why wasn't this done earlier? Is our healthcare system now stressed to the point where pro athletes need to wait for these kind of procedures? 

Crazy to think CCL starts that soon. Big development opportunity lost for Ahmed, who already is light on pro experience given his age. Shame he's going to miss this. Whitecaps will probably be out before he returns.

40 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Why wasn't this done earlier? Is our healthcare system now stressed to the point where pro athletes need to wait for these kind of procedures? 

Crazy to think CCL starts that soon. Big development opportunity lost for Ahmed, who already is light on pro experience given his age. Shame he's going to miss this. Whitecaps will probably be out before he returns.

I got an inguinal  or groin hernia after squatting deeper and with more weight than I'd ever squatted at the gym, maybe 7-8 years ago. It is not something that is just there, it can appear if a part of the body is stressed. A younger athlete may just "find" it by working parts of the body that have not been worked, or pushing, so a leg muscle would be a typical sports injury. I'm assuming this is something similar, and not anything more serious. With the classic abdominal wall they do the famous procedure invented by that private clinic in Toronto with the mesh, now applied worldwide. 

Hurts like hell. They recommend not driving, because you might be reticent to react in need because of the pain. You are sliced open through the lower abdomen, and you imagine what guys in sword fights used to have to deal with; the term "walking wounded" take on new meaning. So you need at least two weeks and maybe three, to even think about moving again, and even then, you may deal with discomfort for a while afterwards, depending on location.

It should have zero long-term affect on him, and may even be a small warning leading to specific exercises to strengthen and prevent repetition on the other leg, or any other similar risk spot, depending on one's physiology. 

Caps lost to Puskas Academy in a friendly in southern Spain today, 0-2 on two late goals. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Realistically probably a good time for him to do this. He’ll still play most of the season and even if he does take a few months to recover, he’ll have several months of play for Vancouver before the summer window closes if those Europe rumours are true.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Even if he was healthy, they're likely only in it for 2 games.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahmed covers every blade of… er, let’s say “grass”… in an old-fashioned, box-to-box ball-winner kind of way, and has more than enough skill on the ball to make that matter in the final third. Vancouver were just straight-up better with him out there last year. So, a full-time starter with serious interest from European teams.

So.....Am I to understand the interest from Serie A clubs and from Sporting Lisbon was not "serious".....or perhaps Doyle just wasn't aware he was getting European interest already?

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

Could a middle three of Kone-Staq-Ahmed work? I feel they are all too similar.

I can see why you'd think that. I think him (and Choniere) get plugged in there by fans just because (in theory) they should be able to play at the level of Kone-Staq, not necessarily because they are the best choice in terms of profile. 

I like your David call to play in there. Maybe not for the T&T game, considering the stakes, but in a friendly or at least with ample lead up time to work out the kinks, I think David at the 10 has a lot of potential for this group. 

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

A midfield 3 of a DM and 2 box to box would work well.  A bit like real madrid with the casemiro, modric, kroos days. We would be sacrificing a bit of staqs offensive output but we already do that with staq, kone and oso. 

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

I think it could work but I also think we should explore using Piette as a ball winning anchor in front of the backline. Let Kone (or Ahmed) and Eustaquio do their thing. No need to overthink a midfield 3 to try to find a perfect mix - throw in the unsexy role player.