Tom Holmes

Atlantic

36 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Tomori played with derby for two years didn’t he?

if anyone says this kid doesn’t have the quality to step in to the Canadian 23 and possibly start is bonkers 

Nobody said this. This was exactly what I was talking about in the Wheeler thread about people not listening (or I guess reading) to what others are saying. 

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Nobody said this. This was exactly what I was talking about in the Wheeler thread about people not listening (or I guess reading) to what others are saying. 

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, and say he skipped a lot of fluff and just came to this conclusion.

But this does happen often. A lot of guys don’t read, and just misconstrue words to fit their narrative. 

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  
21 of the 30 players called in this cycle are playing or have played in MLS, or have some playing time in MLS.  We are first in and undefeated in Concacaf.   

Prior to 2014 approximately, there were vitually none except Dero, as far as i recall.  Most of our callups came from overseas. Where a great part of squad was lower divisions.    Do we need to compare the results?

Mate. You have dug yourself into a hole and you keep digging, by the time this thread ends you will be in China.

The USMNT does play players from second divisions. Heck, we have a lock starter, but ARob is one of the best players in the Championship and really should be a top flight player. Ream has played a lot. Dike. Horvath. 

I don't think that Holmes, as maybe an average-ish player in the Championship, is outside of the CanMNT pool. He's also not a definite inclusion.

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

You may not have said that, but @Free kickmore or less did. After multiple pages of saying we shouldn’t be playing division 2 players, do you really think he’s not saying Holmes can’t step into our 23?

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

You may not have said that, but @Free kickmore or less did. After multiple pages of saying we shouldn’t be playing division 2 players, do you really think he’s not saying Holmes can’t step into our 23?

Yes of course I think that. @Free kick is knowledgable enough about our squad and the game in general to understand that a 22 year old playing that often with Reading should at least merit a look in a typical 23 man Canada squad.

We are not England. He knows this.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes of course I think that. @Free kick is knowledgable enough about our squad and the game in general to understand that a 22 year old playing that often with Reading should at least merit a look in a typical 23 man Canada squad.

We are not England. He knows this.

How many second division players play on national teams around the world?  And i mean here, good national teams, not badnational teams?  So if we believe, we have a good nationalteam,  why do we believe a second div player is the answer?”

Thats a weird way to get that point across. I suppose you could be right, but the way he’s digging in so hard, it really does not seem that way.

One of our best defenders plays for a struggling 2. Bundesliga side. An important leader on our teams is currently Reading. Fraser is playing for Deinze in Belgium Division B (I will say that level is too low for him to get call-ups but Herdman gonna Herdman)

This team isn't above 2nd division players, BUT we have moved past relying on guys in very low quality 2nd divisions (Guys like Straith and Ledgerwood).

1 minute ago, archer21 said:

How many second division players play on national teams around the world?  And i mean here, good national teams, not badnational teams?  So if we believe, we have a good nationalteam,  why do we believe a second div player is the answer?”

Thats a weird way to get that point across. I suppose you could be right, but the way he’s digging in so hard, it really does not seem that way.

That's just him digging his heals into an argument about 2nd divisons that no longer had anything to do with Holmes at that point.

I don’t get too excited about finding these players that have no real connection to Canada and have never kicked a ball in Canada. Of course I’ll take them if they can help. However, I really appreciate  it when a player either born or raised in Canada and played a decent amount of youth soccer in Canada makes it as a pro and is an integral part of our national team. When a player like a Davies or David or Tajon makes it , it shows that we in Canada can produce good players . However, saying all that of course I wouldn’t turn down a player who’s only connection to Canada was through a grandparent if he could help.

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

One of our best defenders plays for a struggling 2. Bundesliga side. An important leader on our teams is currently Reading. Fraser is playing for Deinze in Belgium Division B (I will say that level is too low for him to get call-ups but Herdman gonna Herdman)

This team isn't above 2nd division players, BUT we have moved past relying on guys in very low quality 2nd divisions (Guys like Straith and Ledgerwood).

Agree with the sentiment but Ledgerwood played in the B2 with 1860 Munich and FSV Frankfurt.

He also played in the Swedish second division with Hammarby (coached by Berhalter if I am not mistaken), and the American 2nd division NASL with FC Edmonton.

And funny enough the same can be said about Straith.

So maybe you should be clear on exactly which 2nd division you are referring to, seeing they are not all equal :)

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Agree with the sentiment but Ledgerwood played in the B2 with 1860 Munich and FSV Frankfurt.

He also played in the Swedish second division with Hammarby (coached by Berhalter if I am not mistaken), and the American 2nd division NASL with FC Edmonton.

And funny enough the same can be said about Straith.

So maybe you should be clear on exactly which 2nd division you are referring to, seeing they are not all equal :)

Well for me the Suprettan wasn't a very good level, and in Ledgerwood's case Hammarby were pretty uninspiring when he was there. I'm also referring to Straith's time with Fredrikstad in Norway when they were a tire fire (And I think they still are, considering where they are these days).

My frame of reference is the 2010s when Ledgerwood was playing in the Suprettan and the 3.Liga.

I personally at the time didn't find much of an issue with the NASL's level, but that was just my opinion.

However my mindset was different at the time as really as long as a guy was actually at a club that was a bonus.

15 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Well for me the Suprettan wasn't a very good level, and in Ledgerwood's case Hammarby were pretty uninspiring when he was there. I'm also referring to Straith's time with Fredrikstad in Norway when they were a tire fire (And I think they still are, considering where they are these days).

My frame of reference is the 2010s when Ledgerwood was playing in the Suprettan and the 3.Liga.

I personally at the time didn't find much of an issue with the NASL's level, but that was just my opinion.

However my mindset was different at the time as really as long as a guy was actually at a club that was a bonus.

Agree with all of that. That's why I said I am on board with the sentiment. That was just my attempt to poke fun at the 2nd division debate that spun out of control lol.

To your point though, yes it is true we have guys who are technically in 2nd divisions but it doesn't necessarily hinder their chances at getting called, and depending on the country it may even enhance their chances (aka Championship is a good level).