Tom Holmes

Atlantic

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Sportsnet added it to there report a month ago. 

3379A2BB-A4FB-409D-9685-685E527D673B.jpeg

Yeah, Canucks Abroad reached out and Holmes did say that he had a Canadian grandmother. But again, Solholm also said that - it's a matter of verifying and getting the passport stuff / paperwork in order.

Edited by PiedPilko

Just now, PiedPilko said:

Yeah, Canucks_Abroad reahced out and Holmes did say that he had a Canadian grandmother. But again, Solholm also said that - it's a matter of verifying and getting the passport stuff / paperwork in order.

That’s all the CSA and lawyers. So anything is possible. If Jamaica can rush things why can’t we? 

27 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Has anyone actually watched him? I still don't like the idea of 'guy walks into our squad by virtue of existing in Championship.' 

But it's more than that.  He's obviously talented.  He was an undisputed starter for a Championship side at 20.  His current coach says "they need him back to be at their best" or something like that, can't remember the quote.  That puts him ahead of both Johnston and Miller at the same age.  Not saying he replaces them today, but he's obviously in the discussion.  Especially when you check out Kennedy Vitoria and Henry's injury records.  We're not very talented and not very deep at CB.  All the balls fell our way in WCQ, all the statistics show it, and Borjan was god-like.  We can't get arrogant and pretend we're the hottest team in CONCACAF, we're in the mix, but we easily could've finished 3rd.  A solid and young Championship CB is exactly what we need to shore up the D.

1 minute ago, costarg said:

But it's more than that.  He's obviously talented.  He was an undisputed starter for a Championship side at 20.  His current coach says "they need him back to be at their best" or something like that, can't remember the quote.  That puts him ahead of both Johnston and Miller at the same age.  Not saying he replaces them today, but he's obviously in the discussion.  Especially when you check out Kennedy Vitoria and Henry's injury records.  We're not very talented and not very deep at CB.  All the balls fell our way in WCQ, all the statistics show it, and Borjan was god-like.  We can't get arrogant and pretend we're the hottest team in CONCACAF, we're in the mix, but we easily could've finished 3rd.  A solid and young Championship CB is exactly what we need to shore up the D.

Reading fans seem mixed on him from what I've seen. None of our talk affects the CSA of course, but personally, I like to watch at least a a game or 2 of so and so before I have an opinion. That's how Kennedy really won me over.

From watching vids, he looks big, active, aggressive and has some decent speed.  SOunds like a good place to start (ie Kennedy) and I am worried Vittoria might not even be around for the fall eh??  He looks like a good add, but how many times have we gotten burned with this....maybe wait until we hear if he is actually eligible.  

1 hour ago, costarg said:

This is the kind of analysis that irks me and I assume what @PiedPilko was referring to.  The singular fact of him playing at Reading does not put him ahead of Johnston or Miller.  They took a different path than Holmes mostly because Holmes' pathway was not available to them due to geographical reasons.  Doneil Henry was playing in MLS at 18.  MLS>NCAA so that means that he would be ahead of everyone on our back line, no?  Maybe Godinho should've been our starting RB in 2021 because he was playing SPL at 19/20 years old?

Holmes may be great.  Or he may be serviceable.  Or he may be prone to bone-headed errors.  You can't say for sure he's better than Johnston or Miller until you see him playing in the formation we have with the other members of our backline.  

All we can say for sure is he's the shiny new trinket and a lot of posters around here love the shiny new trinket.  But it's still on him to prove that he's "obviously talented" and better than everyone else we have.  Just like Ugbo didn't walk into the starting 11, this guy will have to prove that he's better than the others with more than just his resume.