Tom Holmes

Atlantic

The guys at Canucks Abroad alerted me to a potential new dual national in Tom Holmes, Hoilett's Reading teammate. Holmes, a 21-year-old centre-back, told Canucks Abroad that his grandmother was born in Canada, which could enable him to represent Canada. 

https://www.transfermarkt.us/tom-holmes/profil/spieler/424900 

He just turned 22 and has been a consistent starter in the Championship. I was looking through a Reading forum and their opinion of Holmes was that he was very good last year and they thought he would be a potential EPL player but definitely took a step back this year. The whole team has been bad though so hard to judge a young defender too harshly

Second the clear this up immediately so we don't end up with a 15 page debacle like normal.. but where is the fun in that? 😆

Right sided CB that has played at RB. 24 appearances in the Championship this year. Would be a great compliment to Kennedy and Miller for giving us another younger option on the RCB side.

If he is actually eligible I would be shocked if he wouldn't be interested. He has no history of being involved in England youth or probably mid-longterm pathway to getting to the England team. Could definitely be considered for the WC if he is eligible.

Likely too good to be true! 

37 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope is eligibility is cleared up because we went through the same thing with Sondre and his grandmother. Although in his case the hang-up is whether she actually had citizenship through birth?

25 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Second the clear this up immediately so we don't end up with a 15 page debacle like normal.. but where is the fun in that? 😆

Surely a man by the name of Holmes has has done his detective work?!? 🧐🔍

sherlock holmes GIF

- - - -

His wikipedia:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Holmes_(footballer)

Reading's page with some stats:

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/players/tom-holmes/

I think his Insta is tholmes.5 ( protected ) , at least that account is followed by Hoilett.

9 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

I saw a comment on a story in The Athletic regarding Holmes and forwarded it to Galindo for further investigation. Glad to see he dug into it. 

Legend.

Link to the Athletic story?

( And if it's not from the story itself, can you copy-paste the comment? )

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Legend.

Link to the Athletic story?

https://theathletic.com/3171562/2022/03/09/canada-mens-national-team-top-prospects-dual-nationals-and-next-on-the-depth-chart/?source=user_shared_article

Someone commented about Holmes, so I asked for a source. The poster didn’t answer so I put Detective Galindo on the case. 😂 

36 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Someone commented about Holmes, so I asked for a source. The poster didn’t answer so I put Detective Galindo on the case. 😂 

You can't see the comments unless you pay for the Athletic.

I'm fine with paying for articles, I'm NOT fine with paying for comments from other users. Can you post or screenshot the comment and the username of the person who posted it?

5 minutes ago, Fullback said:

Can you even get Canadian citizenship through a grandparent? I want to say you can’t

I checked and apparently you can't get citizenship through grandparents.

"Can Canadian citizenship be inherited from a Canadian grandmother or grandfather? In most cases, no it cannot. In 2009, changes to the Citizenship Act eliminated inheritance of Canadian citizenship to the second generation of children born outside Canada."

3 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

I checked and apparently you can't get citizenship through grandparents.

"Can Canadian citizenship be inherited from a Canadian grandmother or grandfather? In most cases, no it cannot. In 2009, changes to the Citizenship Act eliminated inheritance of Canadian citizenship to the second generation of children born outside Canada."

Seems like there might not be full clarification on the rule because I found this:

The Citizenship Act was recently changed in 2009 to limit that citizenship by descent to one generation – also known as the “first generation rule”. It is not retroactive. If you were born after 2009, you’re a Canadian if one parent is a Canadian citizen – but not if a grandparent was. If you were born prior to April 17th, 2009, you might be eligible for Citizenship by descent if one of your parents or grandparents are Canadian citizens. 

https://canadacitizenshiphelp.ca/2018/02/28/how-youre-entitled-to-canadian-citizenship-by-descent/