Tom Holmes

Atlantic

Listened to the Northern Futbol Podcast and Galindo was saying it is not enough for him to play for Canada with a grandmother who was born in Canada. He also says this was the issue with Sondre Solholm. He further clarifies he needs to get more info to make sure about this. 

Would be a huge get if he somehow can play for Canada

11 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Nope you need nationality...if grandmother is born in canada and you have canadian nationality then yes you are eligible

But if you have Canadian nationality then it wouldn’t matter if your grandparent was Canadian, you would already be eligible for Canada. So in other words you’re saying that anyone with a Canadian grandparent that isn’t Canadian isn’t eligible? 

1 hour ago, p33j said:

Listened to the Northern Futbol Podcast and Galindo was saying it is not enough for him to play for Canada with a grandmother who was born in Canada. He also says this was the issue with Sondre Solholm. He further clarifies he needs to get more info to make sure about this. 

Would be a huge get if he somehow can play for Canada

I realized a while ago you have to take what those guys say with a grain of salt. They even said on their latest podcast that they’re pretty sure Kone has to file a one-time switch because he was born in Ivory Coast. That’s nonsense, if he hasn’t represented them internationally, you don’t need to switch anything.

33 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

But if you have Canadian nationality then it wouldn’t matter if your grandparent was Canadian, you would already be eligible for Canada. So in other words you’re saying that anyone with a Canadian grandparent that isn’t Canadian isn’t eligible? 

Correct...you dont automatically have Canadian nationality if you have a Canadian grandparent...so if you have a Canadian grandparent you have to find out if you can get Canadian nationality and if you can and do, then you are eligible in the FIFA world

30 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I realized a while ago you have to take what those guys say with a grain of salt. They even said on their latest podcast that they’re pretty sure Kone has to file a one-time switch because he was born in Ivory Coast. That’s nonsense, if he hasn’t represented them internationally, you don’t need to switch anything.

Had the same thought listening to that today.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Correct...you dont automatically have Canadian nationality if you have a Canadian grandparent...so if you have a Canadian grandparent you have to find out if you can get Canadian nationality and if you can and do, then you are eligible in the FIFA world

How is this correct?

If you are born in Canada, unless your parent was an ambassador of another country or something, you are automatically Canadian.

Then your child would be Canadian ( no matter where they were born ) and then their children would also be Canadian  ( no matter where they were born ) .

Since this is a little ridiculous in the long run, the government changed the law so you can't pass Canadian citizenship on to your children if you were born outside of Canada. This law took effect to all those born after April 16th 2009.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

6 hours ago, Shway said:

I know we need defensive depth but….really? 
His team/backline have let in a league most 73 goals. 

That doesn’t scream instantly “start for us”.

I agree he probably wouldn’t start for us right away. He’d still be an important addition though. He’d be good depth now, and possibly a starter after this World Cup right/when Vitoria retires from international duty. 

10 hours ago, Shway said:

21 year old CB starting regularly in the Championship is very impressive. CB's develop later than most positions.  Championship is a very strong league.  

11 hours ago, Shway said:

So lets get this straight, Lareya cant even make the gameday roster for Forrest (top half), and he is an auto starter, but this Holmes who is 22 and a starter for bottom table reading wouldnt leap Henry, Cornelius etc to be right in the mix for a starting job?  GAHH, you guys pulled me in, he prob isnt even eligible and this is more of a waste of time than talking about Drake or WHeeler.  

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So lets get this straight, Lareya cant even make the gameday roster for Forrest (top half), and he is an auto starter, but this Holmes who is 22 and a starter for bottom table reading wouldnt leap Henry, Cornelius etc to be right in the mix for a starting job?  GAHH, you guys pulled me in, he prob isnt even eligible and this is more of a waste of time than talking about Drake or WHeeler.  

I would say he doesn't become an automatic starter because of how the playing style and chemistry has been developed amongst our backline over the past year. If we were starting the cycle from scratch tomorrow, I think he's automatically in starting contention given the level he plays. If we're adding him at this time right now, I think he starts on the bench and takes the Henry/Cornelius minutes as a depth CB until he proves he deserves otherwise

Again, all if he's eligible as you say

19 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Yes...he's not an automatic starter. No way.
Just because he plays in the championship doesn't mean everything. He's never played a lick of international ball, and he's projected 2nd best CB behind Kennedy - give me a break guys.

Has he played anywhere in Latin America? the Caribbean?
No he hasn't. I think guys underestimate the experience in playing in Concacaf, and automatically think because you play in Europe/UK it easily translates to playing in Concacaf....which is far from the truth. 

Laryea is a horrible comparison considering his circumstances, and his teams - I shouldn't even have to say that. 
Henry is not worth mentioning, but would he right now leap frog Miller, Kennedy, Johnston, Vitoria, Cornelius? No and if you think so, you're playing football manager.  

Michael Hector was playing in the Premier League for Jamaica but wasn't better than Damion Lowe who was playing in Egypt. John Brooks plays in the Bundesliga but Miles Robinson who plays in MLS is a better option.
I'm sure I can find more.

So would he be a great addition? Yes. But lets pump the breaks, we need FUTURE depth but lets not say desperate things.

Judging from his resume alone (haven't seen him play) I would say he should be "in the mix" when it comes to our pool (not our starting line up).

Yes, Reading have been dreadful (and he's played in many of those games), but he also played the majority of games last season when Reading were near the top of the table, so I am willing to discount the dreadful season he's currently part of.

That said, I agree with @Shway that he shouldn't automatically leapfrog Henry and Cornelius for the simple reason that both players know the tactics and systems and culture of Herdman's group. Sorry @Bison44, but he's not going to be ahead of those in Herdman's pecking order right away.

The counter argument is Kennedy, who was injected into the starting line up right away, despite not having prior experience with the group, and that wasn't even a year ago. However, I would push back on that idea by pointing out we are deep in the cycle now, not at the beginning, so for me it's different.

If this guy is eligible, he'll likely have to come in for Nations League games and take it from there. 

Up to a month ago, Cornelius wasnt playing, Vitoria is what 34??  Kennedy Johnston all just made the team in the last year or so.  You are making it sound like the lineup is set in stone.  WHen guys were calling for Kennedy to start 6-10 months ago, was that desperate?  He did fine. To say another 22 year old playing at a high level wouldnt be in the mix isnt crazy.  And if Ugbo can parachute in and get games right off the bat that sort of blows the "team chemistry" or Herdmans's pecking order theory doesnt it?? If you are good enough he'll throw you in..ie Kennedy, Johnston, Eustaquio etc.  Ugghhh, I honestly dont know why i got sucked into a hypothetical argument about a guy who wont be eligible anyways..ie Ethan Findley, Opare etc etc ad nauesem.  

58 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yes...he's not an automatic starter. No way.
Just because he plays in the championship doesn't mean everything. He's never played a lick of international ball, and he's projected 2nd best CB behind Kennedy - give me a break guys.

Has he played anywhere in Latin America? the Caribbean?
No he hasn't. I think guys underestimate the experience in playing in Concacaf, and automatically think because you play in Europe/UK it easily translates to playing in Concacaf....which is far from the truth. 

Laryea is a horrible comparison considering his circumstances, and his teams - I shouldn't even have to say that. 
Henry is not worth mentioning, but would he right now leap frog Miller, Kennedy, Johnston, Vitoria, Cornelius? No and if you think so, you're playing football manager.  

Michael Hector was playing in the Premier League for Jamaica but wasn't better than Damion Lowe who was playing in Egypt. John Brooks plays in the Bundesliga but Miles Robinson who plays in MLS is a better option.
I'm sure I can find more.

So would he be a great addition? Yes. But lets pump the breaks, we need FUTURE depth but lets not say desperate things.

+1

its just mind boggling how much people over rate second divsion soccer.  There is a reason its called “second division” (or in this case, the Championship), its because its not the first division (or in this case, The premier league).  How many second division players play on national teams around the world?  And i mean here, good national teams, not bad national teams?  So if we believe, we have a good national team,  why do we believe a second div player is the answer?

Edited by Free kick

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Up to a month ago, Cornelius wasnt playing, Vitoria is what 34??  Kennedy Johnston all just made the team in the last year or so.  You are making it sound like the lineup is set in stone.  WHen guys were calling for Kennedy to start 6-10 months ago, was that desperate?  He did fine. To say another 22 year old playing at a high level wouldnt be in the mix isnt crazy.  And if Ugbo can parachute in and get games right off the bat that sort of blows the "team chemistry" or Herdmans's pecking order theory doesnt it?? If you are good enough he'll throw you in..ie Kennedy, Johnston, Eustaquio etc.  Ugghhh, I honestly dont know why i got sucked into a hypothetical argument about a guy who wont be eligible anyways..ie Ethan Findley, Opare etc etc ad nauesem.  

I agree with your general sentiment but Cornelius has been a starter for Panetolikos since he got there in the summer.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

So you rate Kennedy at 26 who plays 2nd division in Germany, but don't rate a 21 yr old playing championship as a starter?  Something doesn't add up bro.  

40 minutes ago, jonovision said:

At the risk of sounding like a xenophobe, these guys that find out they might be Canadian from ancestry.com don't excite me much.

Yes.  Its not xenophobia.  These people look to me like they are trying to leverage their anchestry to improve their resume.   Playing internationally looks good on a resume.   

Edited by Free kick

13 minutes ago, Free kick said:

+1

its just mind boggling how much people over rate second divsion soccer.  There is a reason its called “second division” (or in this case, the Championship), its because its not the first division (or in this case, The premier league).  How many second division players play on national teams around the world?  And i mean here, good national teams, not bad national teams?  So if we believe, we have a good national team,  why do we believe a second div player is the answer?

This isn’t the second division of Finland or Poland, it’s the best second-tier league in the world. The championship has better quality than a lot of the first tiers in Europe. Plenty of championship players make World Cup rosters. I don’t think Holmes walks into our team but we were called Frank Sturing from the second division of the Netherlands, where he was basically playing for free.