WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So can clubs refuse to release players in January or is it just a matter of them pressuring the players to “voluntarily” decline the call.   I know Tajon will be will want to settle into his new club quickly, but I also suspect that the guys are pretty bought into the Team Canada vision and would want to do what they could to get us to Qatar.  

I’m pretty sure they can’t. It’s a full international window, if the players want to go I don’t think there’s anything the clubs can really do.

I would be shocked if we have anything less than a full strength squad

4 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I’m pretty sure they can’t. It’s a full international window, if the players want to go I don’t think there’s anything the clubs can really do.

I would be shocked if we have anything less than a full strength squad

Thanks. That is what I thought, but I definitely wasn’t sure - especially given the craziness of this WCQ process.  

1 hour ago, sstackho said:

Can we talk about the elephant in the room? 

5pr9as.jpg.ddfa6cc250a0ad13499baf26289b9ef7.jpg

ES has the easiest schedule so far. 3 home matches (1 win and 2 draws) and a crushing in their only away match.

They are below the theorized point average to qualify (21 points - 2 point average at home and 1 point average away).
First 7 games they have 5 home and 2 away. The reverse is true for the last 7.

If they don't win both of their next two they can still be considered off pace (away to CR and home to MEX).

Jamaica has the opposite schedule to ES - one that may be breaking them early. 5 of first 7 away and only 1 home match so far. Mentally it may be breaking them at the best time possible for Canada.

6 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I’m pretty sure they can’t. It’s a full international window,

It is indeed a full international window.

As @narduch and I (and maybe others) have suggested in the past, there is nothing stopping the CSA ( if they have the money) from having a Camp Poutine friendly the week before in Houston / Southern California / Florida to get the North American guys back up to fitness.

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

As @narduch and I (and maybe others) have suggested in the past, there is nothing stopping the CSA ( if they have the money) from having a Camp Poutine friendly the week before in Houston / Southern California / Florida to get the North American guys back up to fitness.

There is no reason not to. Florida would be perfect.
It is likely that they stage/train in Florida before they head to Honduras. 1 week with the North America crew and then have the European guys join for a few days before they head to the jungle.  January is tough travel (Honduras, Vancouver, El Salvador). They would be silly not to get everyone 2/3 of the way to San Pedro Sula as early as possible

17 hours ago, Obinna said:

ES with the easiest schedule thus far.

Conversely, we are the only team who's played Mexico and USA away. 

So did Jamaica.

The difference is, we became the first team to get points off both Mexico and the US away in the same qualifier.

Edited by Trois Reds

Thanks to /u/el_noido for sharing his CONCACAF WCQ ELO-based simulation spreadsheet. 

His model currently gives odds of 73.4% that Canada finish in the top 3.  (Not considering 4th place, since 4th place is for suckers...) 

Here is what his model predicts would be the change to Canada's chances of finishing Top 3 for each possible result of tomorrow's matches.  This is to help you decide who to cheer for in the other matches. 

image.png.50200f9f166c3bae4f0f295b3ef1f04a.png

Edited by sstackho

17 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Except at home we get 6 points. Not two or four.

At the risk of being accused of defeatism and cowardice, I will be satisfied if we get 3 points out of the November window when we host both CR and Mexico.  4 would be great considering Mexico will take points off others in away games (and obviously 6 would be ideal) but at the end of the day it is safe to assume we won’t have a perfect campaign from now until the end of WCQ.  There will inevitably be slip ups over the 10 remaining games.  Thus it wouldn’t be crushing if we got through November with a win against CR  and a loss against Mexico.  

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

At the risk of being accused of defeatism and cowardice, I will be satisfied if we get 3 points out of the November window when we host both CR and Mexico.  4 would be great considering Mexico will take points off others in away games (and obviously 6 would be ideal) but at the end of the day it is safe to assume we won’t have a perfect campaign from now until the end of WCQ.  There will inevitably be slip ups over the 10 remaining games.  Thus it wouldn’t be crushing if we got through November with a win against CR  and a loss against Mexico.  

Exactly. Say we get three more out of this window, three more in November, rather modest results most would say.

That would put us on 12 points after 8 matches, on pace for 21 in total. Which likely takes us to Qatar. 

If we are ahead of that, and need less than 9 points in our last 6 matches (four of which will be away), all the better, but even a poor scenario is not a damning scenario.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Exactly. Say we get three more out of this window, three more in November, rather modest results most would say.

That would put us on 12 points after 8 matches, on pace for 21 in total. Which likely takes us to Qatar. 

If we are ahead of that, and need less than 9 points in our last 6 matches (four of which will be away), all the better, but even a poor scenario is not a damning scenario.

The problem there is that we would need 9 points with only 2 home matches remaining - one of which is against the USA plus away games to Honduras and El Salvador.