WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

16 hours ago, Floortom said:

He called the foul...if he calls a foul there its a denial of goal scoring opportunity and it has to be a red.

This is why concacaf is such a joke by not having VAR

What makes you so sure that VAR would fix the problem? I didn't see the play in question, but I saw the penalty VAR called against us/Kaye in the Gold Cup against Mexico. I don't think there was any foul there. I also saw Zimmerman (think it was him) tackle Laryea in the box, then handle the ball in the box, and VAR didn't correct that call either.

There is subjectivity in the rules, video review isn't useful for subjective calls.

Yeah, that win by the USA is good for us. If we are going to be a top 3 team, there will of course be 2 other teams with us. Mexico and USA are the most likely, so they can have all the points they want in games not against us. If all games are draws, then our draws in Mexico and USA are meaningless. If other teams lose to those teams, our draws are a +1 for us on the road to Qatar.

Starting to wonder what is really more difficult between playing away to the US and Mexico vs El Salvador, Panama, etc.....  I see different challenges.  On one hand you're playing vs really solid teams, on the other you're playing scrappy & talented teams with little to lose, at home, with hostile crowds, mediocre refs, sans VAR. 

Playing in the US is not thaaat intimidating, it's a tough challenge, but the fans won't necessarily be intimidating.  If you remove the altitude, playing in Mexico is almost just as hard for El Tri, considering how tough their own fans are on them.

Am I the only one not overly confident?  We already have a hunch the obvious PK's and reds won't be given.  We can beat them at soccer, but CONCACAF is a whole different type of game.  I feel I might be less intimidated playing an 18-25 ELO rated team at the WC in fair conditions than some of CONCACAF.  

Not having VAR helps the 5th to 8th positioned teams, the ones with nothing to lose, I feel this is a massive disadvantage to us.  It's in their interest not to install the technology required.

Am I making too much of this?

47 minutes ago, costarg said:

Starting to wonder what is really more difficult between playing away to the US and Mexico vs El Salvador, Panama, etc.....  I see different challenges.  On one hand you're playing vs really solid teams, on the other you're playing scrappy & talented teams with little to lose, at home, with hostile crowds, mediocre refs, sans VAR. 

Playing in the US is not thaaat intimidating, it's a tough challenge, but the fans won't necessarily be intimidating.  If you remove the altitude, playing in Mexico is almost just as hard for El Tri, considering how tough their own fans are on them.

Am I the only one not overly confident?  We already have a hunch the obvious PK's and reds won't be given.  We can beat them at soccer, but CONCACAF is a whole different type of game.  I feel I might be less intimidated playing an 18-25 ELO rated team at the WC in fair conditions than some of CONCACAF.  

Not having VAR helps the 5th to 8th positioned teams, the ones with nothing to lose, I feel this is a massive disadvantage to us.  It's in their interest not to install the technology required.

Am I making too much of this?

PTSD.  We all understand.  We're here for you. 😉

Points could be really tough for Panama to come by this month. They've lost their first match of the window. They play the US at home (who have recently won in Honduras) and then they come to BMO on Wednesday. Difficult.

It's nice to see 4th to 7th (Panama, El Salvador, Costa Rica, and Honduras) bunched up the way they are, all within 2 points of each other, because it will help keep things competitive for a longer period. Jamaica isn't even that far back from them right now, thanks to all the draws. 1 win would put them right in the thick of that group.

I'm not suggesting they get that win on Sunday of course. 😂 Just pointing out that despite underperforming and being 8th right now, they're only 4 points out of 4th.

Edited by jtpc

3 minutes ago, jtpc said:

Points could be really tough for Panama to come by this month. They've lost their first match of the window. They play the US at home (who have recently won in Honduras) and then they come to BMO on Wednesday. Difficult.

It's nice to see 4th to 7th (Panama, El Salvador, Costa Rica, and Honduras) bunched up the way they are, all within 2 points of each other, because it will help keep things competitive for a longer period. Jamaica isn't even that far back from them right now, thanks to all the draws. Just 1 win would put them in the thick of that group of teams.

Shhhh...You've heard of jinxing, no?quiet GIF by Captain Obvious

Edited by nolando

5 minutes ago, sstackho said:

Can we talk about the elephant in the room? 

5pr9as.jpg.ddfa6cc250a0ad13499baf26289b9ef7.jpg

I actually love it.  Our long term success is helped by early results where traditionally strong teams underperform (Honduras, Jamaica and CR) and traditionally weak teams over-achieve (ES and Panama).   To some extent, this has been happening in every case.  Assuming the actual quality of teams will normalize over a 14 game window, these anomalies will benefit us as long as we perform at or above our expectations.  

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I actually love it.  Our long term success is helped by early results where traditionally strong teams underperform (Honduras, Jamaica and CR) and traditionally weak teams over-achieve (ES and Panama).   To some extent, this has been happening in every case.  Assuming the actual quality of teams will normalize over a 14 game window, these anomalies will benefit us as long as we perform at or above our expectations.  

Yeah, I tend to agree. 14 games, especially with several 3-game windows, will expose depth and quality eventually. Not worried about ES or PAN.

Though I do find it interesting the current standings goes: MEX/USA -> 3 teams that had to qualify for the Ocho -> 3 teams gifted spots in the Ocho. Perhaps it was better this way for us.

3 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

El Salvador is going to be a  tough place to play....that atmosphere is bonkers....

Didn't seem too nuts against Panama last night in the rain - though I remember it being good against the US.  Fairweather fans? 

9 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

Anyone else worried about the January window. I know it's a few matches down the road. But the fact that it isn't an international window is terrifying to me. I really hope we manage to bring back a couple of guys from over in Europe.

It's an international window.  Just one without any UEFA matches, if my understanding is correct. 

None of the major European leagues have matches during the January window. 

EDIT:  Looks like the English Championship (Hoilett) has matches scheduled.  I believe the typical rule is that a match can get postponed if a team will lose three players to international duty. 

Edited by sstackho

13 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

Anyone else worried about the January window. I know it's a few matches down the road. But the fact that it isn't an international window is terrifying to me. I really hope we manage to bring back a couple of guys from over in Europe.

We should have an extended camp and some friendlies to help the out of season guys get some games in.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

We should have an extended camp and some friendlies to help the out of season guys get some games in.

We may see some different starting 11's featuring in season players over the MLS guys, I think we have a good balance for that, guys like Wotherspoon and Millar may play more prominent roles, we don't really have a RB who is in season to call from though!

50 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

Yes.   But, we can look at it another way,   imagine if this same situation would have occurred in previous WCQ cycles whereby our squad was made up of all European based players.    We would have been up Schitts creek without a paddle.   I think we should ok because our opponents will be faced with the same dilema.

edit.:  i had forgotten that TB will be in europe by January.  So potentially no TB, David nor Davies.   Yeah, it could be an issue.

Edited by Free kick

56 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

For me it has nothing to do with the international window - it is entirely about playing away to Honduras, hosting the US, and then finishing off with an away game to ES.  That is just a tough window, full stop.   For me, it really underscores the need to get as many points as we can in this window and the next.  12 points up for grabs and we have a decent shot at getting 4 or 6 more this month and 3-6 next month.  

As much as the January window seems like it could potentially be a tough one, I do like that we close things out with a 3 match window with a lot of potential.  One away game in relatively less hostile CR, and then hosting Panama and Jamaica. If we went into that window knowing that we still needed 4-6 points to secure qualification, I would be nervous but relatively confident that we could do it.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

15 minutes ago, Free kick said:

edit.:  i had forgotten that TB will be in europe by January.  So potentially no TB, David nor Davies.   Yeah, it could be an issue.

Hmmm, Belgium league matches are scheduled during the window.  There are no France Ligue 1 nor Bundesliga matches scheduled. 

So can clubs refuse to release players in January or is it just a matter of them pressuring the players to “voluntarily” decline the call.   I know Tajon will be will want to settle into his new club quickly, but I also suspect that the guys are pretty bought into the Team Canada vision and would want to do what they could to get us to Qatar.