WCQ: Third Round - Window 2 (October 7-13, 2021)

Yoginess

16 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Anyone else find match days move so damn slowly... 

Ok,here's some food for thought

Deep dish Dominos pizza is on the menu for the game tonight.  It's not that great but it's relatively cheap.  Two things, if you order online you can get extra sauce put on for free.  You can get a good deal if you buy one and get one free with a code.  They also have a deal where you get unlimited medium 12" pizzas for $7.99 each, if you upgrade them to deep dish they will be $9.99 instead of the regular deep dish price of $12.99. Also, the toppings obviously add to the price, the less you get the cheaper, here it is about $1.50 per topping.  Also I find the deep dish reheats much better if you have some left over.  Prices may vary depending on location.

Well I am more hyped than nervous. I like the mood on this board, quiet optimism.

As Cruyff would say to the players before a big final: "Go out and enjoy yourselves."

So this is not a final but like one, in the sense that no one expects anything from us, so anything positive is already a victory. If it's with points, all the better, but if we show we are ready to rival Mexico that is that: what more can a Concacaf nation want than to rival Mexico?

Ideal day:

USA 1-0 Jamaica (90th minute backbreaker)

Honduras 0-0/1 Costa Rica

Canada 2-1 Mexico

El Salvador 1-0 Panama

Worst possible day:

USA 0-4 Jamaica

Honduras 2-0 Costa Rica

Canada 1-5 Mexico

El Salvador 2-4 Panama

What we’ll probably get:

USA 3-1 Jamaica

Honduras 0-0 Costa Rica

Canada 0-2 Mexico

El Salvador 1-2 Panama

22 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Ideal day:

USA 1-0 Jamaica (90th minute backbreaker)

Honduras 0-0/1 Costa Rica

Canada 2-1 Mexico

El Salvador 1-0 Panama

Worst possible day:

USA 0-4 Jamaica

Honduras 2-0 Costa Rica

Canada 1-5 Mexico

El Salvador 2-4 Panama

What we’ll probably get:

USA 3-1 Jamaica

Honduras 0-0 Costa Rica

Canada 0-2 Mexico

El Salvador 1-2 Panama

Do we really want a USA win?

42 minutes ago, narduch said:

Think I'm going to hope for draws in all the non Canada games

Draws would suit me just fine as well. I also wouldn't mind an El Salvador win over Panama. I think El Salvador will finish either near or at the bottom, so I don't mind if they come away with 3 points tonight. Panama would stay at 5 points, so I think that's a good tradeoff. If someone has to win the Honduras/Costa Rica match, I'd rather it be Costa Rica since I think Honduras is a greater threat for the top 4.

Edited by jtpc

16 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

Anything that separates the top 3 and the bottom 5 is a positive imo. I want USA/MEX running the table against everybody without a maple leaf on their jersey.

I suppose you could argue a Jamaica loss makes them more desperate against us, but imo a win makes them believe again. I want a demoralized, hapless Jamaica that doesn’t believe they can win.

Edited by footballfreak

Just now, footballfreak said:

Anything that separates the top 3 and the bottom 5 is a positive imo. I want USA/MEX running the table against everybody without a maple leaf on their jersey.

I suppose you could argue a Jamaica loss makes them more desperate against us, but imo a win makes them believe again. I want a demoralized, hapless Jamaica that doesn’t believe they can win.

This depleted Jamaica side needs to be taken care by both Canada and the US this break. The quicker some teams are pushed to the point of no return the better for establishing the race for the top 3 among the better teams. 

12 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

In literally almost any other situation, no.  But in this qualifying process it is a grudging yes from me.

If Mexico locks up spot 1 and the USA ultimately gets enough points to qualify (taking points off of our opponents in the process) I think it maximizes our chances of qualification. 

I think the USA has too much quality this cycle not to qualify.  If there was any doubt of that, their second half comeback against Honduras (in Honduras) should set the record straight.  I don’t see any realistic scenario where they and Mexico aren’t  both in the top 3.  So my preference is that they both get as many points against our other competitors as possible.  That is ultimately better for us than temporarily feeling good because the US were humbled in a game against some rival - that might then be closer to beating us to 3rd spot.  

For me this is all about the end result. Getting to Qatar trumps everything else.  That is why I would sit some heavy hitters tonight (as much as I would love to test ourselves against them) and why I want the Us to win (as much as I would lie to see the stumble).