GC: Canada vs Mexico - Thursday, July 29th, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Houston TX

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The game against Mexico was the QF in that tourney. We beat T&T in the semi while Colombia beat Peru in the other semi

LOL you are right. Beating Mexico is seared in my brain but the "final" against T&T has faded. 

3 hours ago, theaub said:

That was just for the Confederations Cup purposes wasn't it?  Its not like we get the trophy if we lose to Qatar.

Yeah, don't recall how it worked last time or what the rules are this time. I believe they can win the tournament but not the cup which marks the Confederation Champions but my old man brain clearly (from above) is showing gaps.  LOL

8 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Put Akindele on a short leash. Theo is hungry as fuck on the bench

I honestly don’t think we see Akindele start tonight. We all know how important familiarity is, specially to Herdman, and based on that I don’t think it merits him starting in a crucial SF. I will not be surprised if we see Theo or Pasher start this one, alongside Hoilett if we start at a 3-5-2 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

2 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I honestly don’t think we see Akindele start tonight. We all know how important familiarity is, specially to Herdman, and based on that I don’t think it merits him starting in a crucial SF. I will not be surprised if we see Theo or Pasher start this one

If we had Vitoria, it wouldn't have surprised me to see Miller-Vitoria-Henry with Johnston at RWB and Buchanan up front. No chance you can put Sturing in there now. Could also potentially see Pasher play LWB, move Laryea to RWB, and have Buchanan up front.

3 hours ago, ESG Shawn said:

Kurt Larson reporting that the match is sold out tonight. 80,000 fans.

This is going to be a hell of an experience for our young lads. I can't wait. 

Wow 80000 can’t think of another team sport where a Canadian national team can play in front of 80000 people and not even in a World Championship but a regional tournament. 

Not sure if this has been posted as of yet but young @AlexGangueRuzic out of Ryerson has quite the breakdown here: 

https://btsvancity.com/2021/07/28/shake-the-tri-diving-into-mexicos-tactical-profile-ahead-of-pivotal-gold-cup-semi-final-clash-with-canmnt/

The idea of "flooding" the midfield allowing Eustaquio and Kaye to be able to push further forward seems tantalizing. Hopefully we can hold off their initial (and most likely constant) press and break the low block in a number of creative ways...if we can keep El Tri guessing ya never know...

Edited by PegCityCam

2 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

Put Akindele on a short leash. Theo is hungry as fuck on the bench

Not a bad idea, Mexico's defence has shown well this tourny but they are still essentially playing their B team at the back. Aside from Aruajo, the other defenders in this squad are definitely not prem quality.

Your Theo prem hype train is real @Hawkguy and Theo has a great opportunity tonight if he sees the field, hope he runs with it. 

Edited by apbsmith
Grammar

I'm getting s strong 2007 vibe...I think we are going to get CONCACAFED tonight.  We'll be holding our own with an upset looking more possible every minute and the officials will give mexico a gift...and it'll leave a bad taste in my mouth for the next 20 years.  Or maybe thats just what I am used to.

Theo has scored some bangers at the U23 level and has a lot of unpredictability in his game (a bit like Tajon). Akindele is very good at hold-up play so obviously there’s some advantages of playing each. 

To me it comes down to professional experience and that you can still get goals from Tajon/Junior and then use Akindele as the hold-up man. In saying that if Akindele is not doing much to help get Theo in there as soon as possible. 

57 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Wow 80000 can’t think of another team sport where a Canadian national team can play in front of 80000 people and not even in a World Championship but a regional tournament. 

Good thing the average Joe Canadian will be able to witness this phenomenon by tuning into Sportsn...er...TS...er...CB...er...Wheeler😭😭😭

7 hours ago, narduch said:

Need to win the coin toss and kick off first.

Ha, thought the sentence was going to end "... and shoot first in the penalty round..." 

All first takers in Copa America and Euros won their round. In line with known stats. 

Pique came up with a rare intelligent suggestion to make shoot outs fairer, borrowing from tie breaks: 

a-b-b-a-a-b-b-a-a-b

42 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I'm getting s strong 2007 vibe...I think we are going to get CONCACAFED tonight.  We'll be holding our own with an upset looking more possible every minute and the officials will give mexico a gift...and it'll leave a bad taste in my mouth for the next 20 years.  Or maybe thats just what I am used to.

Very reasonable take.  If that were to happen, you’d like to think VAR could offset that this time around 

I'm getting excited for this match and as has been repeated by many, we are playing with house money here, I hope we can go at this team and give it our best shot! The game being played indoors in a/c and a Jamaican ref should help, I wonder if Herdman will deploy similar tactics as he did against the Ticos? I am torn on who to start in the mf, I think Piette might be a good idea in a match like this where we will face some pressure, I don't think his passing is as bad as some here say, this is going to be quite an experience for our team, I hope they can rise to the occasion!

54 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Very reasonable take.  If that were to happen, you’d like to think VAR could offset that this time around 

Agreed and my understanding is the finals are already sold out? Therefore, does not matter who wins! Coffers are filled!

Edited by apbsmith