GC: Canada vs Mexico - Thursday, July 29th, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Houston TX

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm a Piette fan but if you look at the Mexico goals vs. Honduras, all crosses and headers by attackers getting between defenders. So I think you may have to think about a DM that can fall back in with the CBs and defend in the air. So MAK. 

Also looking at those, have to close down their right side mids and wings to take away those easy centres. 

The game time is terrible for me, 4am, and I tend to go to bed late. Not the type to sleep early then wake up at that hour.

Hmm.  That is true re. their play against Honduras, and Funes Mori has been scoring with his head, but against us in particular I think they will stay away from the aerial game and instead try to cut through us down the middle.  Piette and Eustaquio double pivot makes me feel better, but we don't lose much defensively with MAK in there.  He will probably play.  

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Hmm.  That is true re. their play against Honduras, and Funes Mori has been scoring with his head, but against us in particular I think they will stay away from the aerial game and instead try to cut through us down the middle.  Piette and Eustaquio double pivot makes me feel better, but we don't lose much defensively with MAK in there.  He will probably play.  

Makes sense. I do agree that if you have Piette as DM that frees up Eustaquio more going forward, and adds to our attack, which is getting depleted. I'm fine with either way, but we'll have to see if in fact Henry is able to dominate the middle like Vitória was doing, I was quite impressed by his imposing presence out there.

If this goes to extra time and penalty kicks it will be top, I think it'd be hilarious to take out Mexico in a penalty round.

Just now, grigorio said:

So long as we don't get run off the pitch in the first 15 minutes with our notoriously slow starts and that crowd I think we'll be alright. Get some hard tackles in, threaten their goal in those first 10-15 and we'll settle into the match nicely. 

Need to win the coin toss and kick off first.

Just now, BrennanFan said:

If it goes to pens, who takes them?

1.  Hoilett

2. Eustaquio

3. Buchanan

4. Akindele

5. Kaye

Osorio, Laryea also in the mix.

Definitely not Kaye.

if Hoilett starts I doubt he’s still on the pitch when it goes to penalties.

Quite honestly without Vitoria, Cavalini and some of our other top players we’re lacking depth of good options.

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Definitely not Kaye.

if Hoilett starts I doubt he’s still on the pitch when it goes to penalties.

Quite honestly without Vitoria, Cavalini and some of our other top players we’re lacking depth of good options.

I might be wrong, but I think Miller took some penalties at Syracuse? But you're right, not a lot of natural takers on this squad...

13 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

If it goes to pens, who takes them?

1.  Hoilett

2. Eustaquio

3. Buchanan

4. Akindele

5. Kaye

Osorio, Laryea also in the mix.

I'll be surprised if Hoilett doesn't start and if he does, doubt he'll be there 120 minutes later, even though he is the obvious PK taker left on the team.

I think Fraser, Corbeanu & Pasher would be candidates if they are on the pitch at the end of the 120.

If Corbeanu subs in, wouldn't it be for Akindele? So we lose a penalty taker... I think we shouldn't play for penalties, all this who should take penalties talk has me thinking we should play for the win and pressure them early(aka sub in Piette later to shut things down if we manage to get a goal-or two)....

Think of who the likeliest players that are in most ppl's XI that will likely sub off: Hoilett, Osorio, Akindele... all attackers and likely pk takers... I can see them all being subbed out... so that actually leaves what? Corbeanu, Fraser and... jeez I can't even think of a replacement for Akindele so maybe he stays in... We definitely should have called in another attacking player!

22 minutes ago, grigorio said:

So long as we don't get run off the pitch in the first 15 minutes with our notoriously slow starts and that crowd I think we'll be alright. Get some hard tackles in, threaten their goal in those first 10-15 and we'll settle into the match nicely. 

Yeah sorta like in hockey I want us to throw a few "hits" early to get hardwired and cut through any nerves as soon as possible. Hope we win that coin toss.

15 minutes ago, Tyson M said:

If Corbeanu subs in, wouldn't it be for Akindele? So we lose a penalty taker... I think we shouldn't play for penalties, all this who should take penalties talk has me thinking we should play for the win and pressure them early(aka sub in Piette later to shut things down if we manage to get a goal-or two)....

Think of who the likeliest players that are in most ppl's XI that will likely sub off: Hoilett, Osorio, Akindele... all attackers and likely pk takers... I can see them all being subbed out... so that actually leaves what? Corbeanu, Fraser and... jeez I can't even think of a replacement for Akindele so maybe he stays in... We definitely should have called in another attacking player!

Pasher can play up top.  But yeah, not having Cava, Larin and Akinola for this game is... disturbing.

26 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Perhaps a box mid / Hoilett as false 9, to keep Akindele as an option off the bench.  

------------------Hoilett

------------Oso----------Kaye

Laryea-----Eustaquio-----Piette------Buchanan

----------Miller - Henry - Johnston

------------------Max

^ great call. Surprisingly this may actually be the best formation in defense to counter Mexico's tactic of 'pentagons' in the middle and their second option to hit the flanks (per Herdman's comments to media). At least in the mid-block.. changing to the 4-4-2 used in the last few games in the defensive 3rd. 

2 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

^ great call. Surprisingly this may actually be the best formation in defense to counter Mexico's tactic of 'pentagons' in the middle and their second option to hit the flanks (per Herdman's comments to media). At least in the mid-block.. changing to the 4-4-2 used in the last few games in the defensive 3rd. 

It also gets all of your best players on the field, with all due respect to Akindele. 

If things aren't working, Herdman can always bring him on, take out a midfielder, and revert to how we've been playing up until now.

45 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Perhaps a box mid / Hoilett as false 9, to keep Akindele as an option off the bench.  

------------------Hoilett

------------Oso----------Kaye

Laryea-----Eustaquio-----Piette------Buchanan

----------Miller - Henry - Johnston

------------------Max

I worry this set up offers little in attack/pressure release. Unless we are dominating possession, we are just matching them in midfield and hoping to stifle for 90 minutes. Even the wingbacks, if they get forward on a nice release, likely have no real option to convert a counter attack.

It's tough for me to say, I haven't watched Mexico this tournament. But my feeling is if they roll with Funes Mori we would be better off with a higher defensive line and forecheck.

Anybody else got the feeling Henry is gonna break a Mexican tonight? And likely get a red card in the process, maybe break himself in the process? I'm all for this IF it happens in the 92 minute, in the Mexican half, with Canada up 2 goals. Otherwise, I'm gonna be shitting my pants every time Doneil has a 50-50 challenge.  As you all know, he's gonna be up for this game, and he don't take no prisoners.