GC: Canada vs Mexico - Thursday, July 29th, 10pm Eastern / 7pm Pacific - Houston TX

So I have an opinion about Tata Martino, who I suppose can be fairly called a high level coach. I know him well enough to make a few comments about possible defects he may bring to the table.

First, I don't think he's that quick on strategy, or adjusting to game situations. He can prepare a team for consistency, but is not really strong on specifics of game prep. I see him more as a club coach, when you have a year and train daily and constancy is the most important factor. At Atlanta his situation was ideal, but clearly a NT like Mexico is more prestigious. 

So you would not do badly to throw a surprise in there.

The other thing is that he is weak in terms of mentality, or if you want psychology. He himself is a bit uninspiring and a downer, and he is not there to boost his players mentally.

So I don't think he brings either of these things to the table for semis. 

Mexico has been very tough defensively this  GC, but not at all creative or explosive in attack. The only game with goals and "easy" was against a team missing many players and further weakened by having players in Japan. 

That last video: they think they have to be strong the first 25 minutes and realise they may not score easily. They still think Canada has players of quality and is well coached in spite of Cavallini and Vitória being out. They are worried about one of their DMs, not sure who it was, who seems to have a muscle strain. And say they don't really have a sub for him, or he's in Japan.

They also rightly comment that with US-Qatar going first, and possibly going to extra time and penalties, our game could end up starting that much later. 

And they seemed pleased that in the last two games the Mexican chanting was not "off" and that may help them avoid worse sanctions.

Officiating-wise, I'd love to be surprised, but my gut feeling is that we'll see a repeat of what we experienced in our group stage match against the US. Maybe that's CONCACAF cynicism coming through, but I think that's what we should expect. I haven't seen a list of who has been assigned to our match yet, but I'm going to guess a Honduran referee, just because it would fit, wouldn't it? 😂

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They also rightly comment that with US-Qatar going first, and possibly going to extra time and penalties, our game could end up starting that much later. 

Were they aware that the other semi-final is being played in Austin? 😄 

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Jamaican ref

I am not sure but I think it is better to have the MLS officials used to VAR, on VAR. For our semis I don't think the VAR officials were experienced, but I could be wrong. Maybe they just reffed from the booth like novices. 

I am assuming Mexican league does not have VAR.

Anyways, much prefer an English-speaking reffing team and Americans on VAR.

6 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Don't like that the 10 p.m. time means I can't really go out and get loaded, and I live down the street from 817... On the other hand I'm gonna enjoy the USA-Qatar match as the appetizer in this double header.

On the contrary, I don't like the 10 PM start time as it gives me far too much time to get loaded.

Edited by theaub

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am not sure but I think it is better to have the MLS officials used to VAR, on VAR. For our semis I don't think the VAR officials were experienced, but I could be wrong. Maybe they just reffed from the booth like novices. 

I am assuming Mexican league does not have VAR.

Anyways, much prefer an English-speaking reffing team and Americans on VAR.

My general recollection is that Canada games officiated by a Jamaican ref have generally been called pretty fairly.

Liga MX does have VAR, beginning in the 2020-21 season I believe.

11 hours ago, beachesl said:

Yes, but they will  delay for TV reasons anyway.

The kick-offs are scheduled 2 1/2 hours apart.  It won't be much, if anything.  We won't have the half-hour break because the matches are in the same stadium, at least hopefully.

This is a big opportunity for Doneil to prove he can play a clean game and not be a liability for us out there. 

Hoping to see Piette start. 

--------Hoilett - - - Akindele 

---Osorio---Eustaquio - - - Piette 

Laryea —-------------------Buchanan 

--------Miller Henry Johnston 

--------------Crepeau 

35 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

This is a big opportunity for Doneil to prove he can play a clean game and not be a liability for us out there. 

Hoping to see Piette start. 

--------Hoilett - - - Akindele 

---Osorio---Eustaquio - - - Piette 

Laryea —-------------------Buchanan 

--------Miller Henry Johnston 

--------------Crepeau 

I'm a Piette fan but if you look at the Mexico goals vs. Honduras, all crosses and headers by attackers getting between defenders. So I think you may have to think about a DM that can fall back in with the CBs and defend in the air. So MAK. 

Also looking at those, have to close down their right side mids and wings to take away those easy centres. 

The game time is terrible for me, 4am, and I tend to go to bed late. Not the type to sleep early then wake up at that hour.