Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

16 hours ago, toontownman said:

Really, thats crazy and might be a factor in him leaving Halifax? I am totally with @MM3/MM2/MM I thought Bona showed really well and I was disappointed he didn't stay. He has been in Canada since 2014 so it has to be close. 

He was an international student, so his residency during that time doesnt count. He was considered as domestic in 2019 since he was a U-Sport draft.

Imagine if the club didn't have a communications director. Or a team supporting the person. No person hired to do liason with supporters. And if they were in place they'd still have to meet to decide how and what. You'd get questions like the ones being asked and they would not be able to answer them properly--then likely get crapped on for their inadequate answers. 

The replies to the tweet are pretty damning, thankfully most fans are not a pile of petulante types like these. 

There used to be a Fury Ultras group that started after Ottawa joined the NASL; hilariously they gave up after a couple of years while the other two supporters' groups have stuck around. So these Capital "Ultras" are starting off with zero respect from the actual fanbase, particularly since they apparently weren't part of the supporter community previously.

16 hours ago, Ansem said:

Context?

Who said what and what was so bad about it?

Apparently the tweet in question is not there.

I looked at the comments and some boomer named Mike has already annoyed me. It always makes my blood boil when you have the actual entitled generation (boomers) pushing their insecurities onto us and calling us entitled. 

Edited by Macksam

10 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Context?

I looked at the comments and some boomer named Mike has already annoyed me. It always makes my blood boil when you have the actual entitled generation (boomers) pushing their insecurities onto us and calling us entitled. 

In my experience, a strong sense of entitlement spans multiple generations.  

41 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Ironic when the boomers are also known as the "Me Generation" lol

52 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Context?

A new SG published a portly worded statement demanding more news about player signings, tickets, etc...

The groups initial response to the criticism was “so what” but they’ve backtracked, published another statement and then deleted the original statement.

People have tried to engage the group about membership, leadership, mission, etc... but they either ignore or respond with vague comments like “NoPyroNoParty.”

They’re called Ottawa Ultras.

6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

A new SG published a portly worded statement demanding more news about player signings, tickets, etc...

The groups initial response to the criticism was “so what” but they’ve backtracked, published another statement and then deleted the original statement.

People have tried to engage the group about membership, leadership, mission, etc... but they either ignore or respond with vague comments like “NoPyroNoParty.”

They’re called Ottawa Ultras.

Slight correction: Capital Ultras.  Their tweet has been removed and another statement with a moderately less aggressive tone taken.  Still don’t agree with the lack of patience.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Slight correction: Capital Ultras.  Their tweet has been removed and another statement with a moderately less aggressive tone taken.  Still don’t agree with the lack of patience.

Yeah, that's the way to build a relationship with the club, NOT.

4 minutes ago, ted said:

Yeah, that's the way to build a relationship with the club, NOT.

I get the sense from their mandate that they are don't really care about the club (front office) but only about the players...who are employed by the club.  

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

Context?

I think the worst part of the deleted tweet was where they said something along the lines of "Football without Ultras is nothing."

I desk-palmed (or is that face-desked?) when I read the tweet. Like we need even more CanPL fans to disdain us. Luckily it looks like the mainstream media didn't pick up on this, or we'd probably be at Onion-levels of embarrassing by this point.

16 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I think the worst part of the deleted tweet was where they said something along the lines of "Football without Ultras is nothing."

I desk-palmed (or is that face-desked?) when I read the tweet. Like we need even more CanPL fans to disdain us. Luckily it looks like the mainstream media didn't pick up on this, or we'd probably be at Onion-levels of embarrassing by this point.

Football is nothing without loyal fans to embrace their club. Ultras aren't the be all end all. In a way I feel bad for them. You get a new club and in three weeks since the club's announcement nothing significant has been communicated to them. However, this is a new club, and everything doesn't just happen overnight. The league in general has been quite slow in revealing important information, so I share their frustration. That said, there are much better ways to go about it

Ottawa Sun interview with Jeff Hunt: https://ottawasun.com/sports/soccer/the-real-jeff-hunt-says-things-about-to-get-busy-for-atletico-ottawa

Describes the behind-the-scenes activity necessary to open the business and get the club up and running.

Plan is to announce season ticket pricing this week (Wednesday or Thursday).

He would like to announce one player signing per day leading up to training camp on March 11. Hunt hints at 8 players having already been signed.

27 minutes ago, sloth8 said:

Ottawa Sun interview with Jeff Hunt: https://ottawasun.com/sports/soccer/the-real-jeff-hunt-says-things-about-to-get-busy-for-atletico-ottawa

Describes the behind-the-scenes activity necessary to open the business and get the club up and running.

He would like to announce one player signing per day leading up to training camp on March 11. Hunt hints at 8 players having already been signed.

How are they starting in Madrid with no players signed?  That will be an expensive bill to take trialists on vacation.  Or conversely, a cheap bill to take just 8 guys... maybe they can join in with At. Madrid first team training.

Interesting note: "We’re arranging accommodations for players — it’s one of the responsibilities for teams in the CPL"

Edited by CanadaFan123

30 minutes ago, sloth8 said:

I gather much of this must be Jeff's personality (which surely has served him well!), but the aw shucks folksy vibe of how all of this is unfolding and communicated is a little unexpected given I think most of us assumed much of this would have been figured out long before a public announcement in person with Atletico Madrid. It sounds more like they're setting up a local soccer club than a fully professional team about to be playing in front of thousands (tens of thousands?) of people in a couple of months.

36 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

How are they starting in Madrid with no players signed?  That will be an expensive bill to take trialists on vacation.  Or conversely, a cheap bill to take just 8 guys... maybe they can join in with At. Madrid first team training.

Interesting note: "We’re arranging accommodations for players — it’s one of the responsibilities for teams in the CPL"

That makes sense I mean if you're making 20k I sure hope you don't have to pay rent.