Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Are certain people saying that a Canadian team can never have red, white and blue as their team colours?  

I personally love the badge.  But again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Given that those are the colours of the Montreal Canadiens, I would hope no one would ever say that. It's the white and red stripes that make it a bit American-looking, then add the blue (rather than the traditional Ottawa black). Not really in love with it myself, but it will do.

3 minutes ago, PaulV said:

Given that those are the colours of the Montreal Canadiens, I would hope no one would ever say that. It's the white and red stripes that make it a bit American-looking, then add the blue (rather than the traditional Ottawa black). Not really in love with it myself, but it will do.

I feel that they can still incorporate the black of Ottawa someway somehow. For example, sometimes Atléti de Madrid will wear red bottoms with their typical red and white tops. Maybe they can wear black on their shots when they can't wear blue. They could also incorporate black into their away kit

48 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Not that i'm surprised, but remember how quick TSN was to make headline news of the Fury folding?  Go to their website and not a word about the new Ottawa team, and its ownership by Atletico Madrid.  MLS website also quiet about it (they too headlined the Fury folding).  Credit to Sportsnet who did cover the story with the same relevance as the Fury demise.

https://www.tsn.ca/canadian-premier-league-unveils-new-atletico-ottawa-club-with-mista-as-coach-1.1441157

Not that I am apologizing for those shitehawks but at least there was something and its on their main page. Obviously just not a headline!

50 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

My thoughts exactly.

Blue with red and white stripes? This is supposed to be a team from the capital of Canada, you would never have known based on the colours and stripes.

Yes yes, I know with the Madrid deal it was kind of restricted, but still, yeesh.

It looks rushed in general. And what's with the empty white space? Bah, I think it's the worst logo in the league.

Please, let's not be totally out to lunch on the meaning of colours or of stripes. It pisses me off how people are arguing here. 

The colours many refer to are the colours of republics, beginning with the French after the revolution, and continued in the US, and in all Latin American republics separating from Spain. Blue, white and red. Stripes and, in classic republican examples, a star or stars. Like Chile, or Texas. 

Atlético's crest is those colours, with red stripes and small stars. They eliminated the stars, so the monarchists don't have to get nervous about insurgent republicanism (I am being facetious). 

The Atlético shirt also has stripes, which as has been mentioned were taken from the Athletic Club de Bilbao shirt some 105 years ago. Which in turn were directly borrowed from classic English shirts of the period, like Sunderland. Or Southampton, or Stoke City [just checked, Bilbao adapted the Southamption stripes].

100% for sure if the red stripes had come from a Sunderland owners group, no one would be complaining about them being American.

I want to hear how the Sunderland shirt is American colours, please, let's hear the argument (and yes, they originally wore blue shorts). Then explain to us how red and white are really communist colours and we should not use them in Canada. Then let's get into how the Raptors use classic anarchist combination of red and black. 

The level of discussion is going to be fabulous.

It has problems as a logo, but mostly because it lacks the feel and tone of the funkier, more contemporary crests of most other CPL teams.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Please, let's not be totally out to lunch on the meaning of colours or of stripes. It pisses me off how people are arguing here. 

The colours many refer to are the colours of republics, beginning with the French after the revolution, and continued in the US, and in all Latin American republics separating from Spain. Blue, white and red. Stripes and, in classic republican examples, a star or stars. Like Chile, or Texas. 

Atlético's crest is those colours, with red stripes and small stars. They eliminated the stars, so the monarchists don't have to get nervous about insurgent republicanism (I am being facetious). 

The Atlético shirt also has stripes, which as has been mentioned were taken from the Athletic Club de Bilbao shirt some 105 years ago. Which in turn were directly borrowed from classic English shirts of the period, like Sunderland.

100% for sure if the red stripes had come from a Sunderland owners group, no one would be complaining about them being American.

I want to hear how the Sunderland shirt is American colours, please, let's hear the argument (and yes, they originally wore blue shorts). Then explain to us how red and white are really communist colours and we should not use them in Canada. Then let's get into how the Raptors use classic anarchist combination of red and black. 

The level of discussion is going to be fabulous.

It has problems as a logo, but mostly because it lacks the feel and tone of the funkier, more contemporary crests of most other CPL teams.

Never asked for a history lesson.

Whenever I see a blue bar with red and white stripes in a logo, than yes, it reminds me of the American flag. People have different perspective on things. That's how art works. That's what happens with certain criteria. If you see a logo with a blue maple leaf, who is it going to remind you of? No one is going to care about the history of it.

The absolute reach of combining Canada with communism was cringy as hell. Trying way to hard to make an argument out of this.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

The team's official twitter account is posting in both official languages.

I wonder if this means One Soccer will cover their matches in French and English.

When the twitter got up and running a went to check it out and see who they are following. Not surprisingly, all the CPL clubs within an hour or so. What was surprising was how few followers they all have. Not even enough to be verified other than FCE. I don't care at all because I only use tik tok these days, but AM have 4.5m followers and I notice that AO look like they will surpass all other CPL clubs in a day or two, adding 200-300 per hour. 

I do wonder that the AM brand ultimately means for the league? Will they bring a few sponsors with them, for example? It seems like the league has either been very selective, or is perhaps struggling in this area?

16 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Never asked for a history lesson.

Whenever I see a blue bar with red and white stripes in a logo, than yes, it reminds me of the American flag. People have different perspective on things. That's how art works. That's what happens with certain criteria. If you see a logo with a blue maple leaf, who is it going to remind you of? No one is going to care about the history of it.

The absolute reach of combining Canada with communism was cringy as hell. Trying way to hard to make an argument out of this.

Actually, what is cringy is to talk about something you do not know aobut. Are you aware that American corporate design tried to influence some companies and institutions in Canada to alter the excess use of red and white during the Cold War? And eliminated its own use of just red and white by the mid-50s, as the political fanaticism of the McCarthy era drove corporate designers like Raymond Loewy to almost always add the blue and not leave red alone?

Some Canadian corporations and the federal government resisted these attempts, of course, although the associations were made. 

You cannot make categorical comments about the meaning of a colour because they are always contextual, usually plural and not monolithic, and contexts can always be changed.

I happen to be a university professor of the history and theory of art and design, as quite a few people on this board know. That does not mean anything about my taste, but does make me a bit intolerant about visual illiterates trying to steamroll their fanatical opinions on everyone else. Atlético Madrid makes a huge step to guarantee the league's future and strengthens the Mediapro alliance, and all people can do is say their logo looks American. So pathetic.

5 minutes ago, RS said:

He was at TFC for not much more than two months, not years.

In any case, it is clear he has to improve his English. In fact, he said he would work hard to improve his English. In English. 

If one of his players argues the team is getting bad results because the coach cannot communicate his ideas, they can always hire the ever-articulate Rob Gale.

Àtlético Ottawa’s secondary mark is representative of the city’s roots and emblematic of Ottawa’s coat of arms. The capitol’s history of trading and river travel is highlighted by a traditional river paddle crossed by two arrows and accented with the club monogram.

https://atleticoottawa.canpl.ca/emblem-inspiration/

574521EF-D1EB-400D-B641-A2FD7753B5D4.jpeg

18 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Àtlético Ottawa’s secondary mark is representative of the city’s roots and emblematic of Ottawa’s coat of arms. The capitol’s history of trading and river travel is highlighted by a traditional river paddle crossed by two arrows and accented with the club monogram.

https://atleticoottawa.canpl.ca/emblem-inspiration/

574521EF-D1EB-400D-B641-A2FD7753B5D4.jpeg

Here's a great Spanish symbol of crossed arrows, I wonder why Atlético did not think of it considering the above logic.

unnamed.gif.25683637363f6b3b7041bf18d96b5af3.gif

Francisco Franco was really big on this one too. Basically as close as you can get to a Spanish swastika. 

If we keep up this sort of logic here, this is where it leads us, to pure idiocy by association. And let me be clear, I think this secondary logo or image is fine, so is the main crest. 

Clubs change their crests and other symbols regularly, and even shirt colours are altered yearly. Nothing is so set in stone people have to be obstinate and demonstrate such bad faith about this sort of stuff.

50 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get that there is totally an explanation for the logo, but it is hard to unsee the similarities. 

FE676902-5094-4924-B7B4-5348038D5606.png

At first I was questioning myself as to why I didn't see the similarity right away.

But after a 30 sec. search I discovered that the US has only been using this logo since 2016.   So perhaps they were the ones copying Atletico Madrid!

I'll be supporting this club, and I'm fine with the crest. What I'm NOT fine with is Mista as coach/GM. I'm leaving now to the AO event at Lansdowne to ask him if he'll be a better coach than he was as a player with TFC.

Edit: Looks like it's actually gaining international traction. Here's the Reuters blurb:

https://asia.eurosport.com/football/mista-named-first-head-coach-of-atletico-ottawa_sto7660792/story.shtml

Edited by Initial B

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually, what is cringy is to talk about something you do not know aobut. Are you aware that American corporate design tried to influence some companies and institutions in Canada to alter the excess use of red and white during the Cold War? And eliminated its own use of just red and white by the mid-50s, as the political fanaticism of the McCarthy era drove corporate designers like Raymond Loewy to almost always add the blue and not leave red alone?

Some Canadian corporations and the federal government resisted these attempts, of course, although the associations were made. 

You cannot make categorical comments about the meaning of a colour because they are always contextual, usually plural and not monolithic, and contexts can always be changed.

I happen to be a university professor of the history and theory of art and design, as quite a few people on this board know. That does not mean anything about my taste, but does make me a bit intolerant about visual illiterates trying to steamroll their fanatical opinions on everyone else. Atlético Madrid makes a huge step to guarantee the league's future and strengthens the Mediapro alliance, and all people can do is say their logo looks American. So pathetic.

I'm a graphic designer.... I literally make logos.

You're overthinking this WAY too much or you just like to hear yourself talk, I can't tell anymore. You've forgotten this is a sports logo. It's there to market. It's supposed to advertise a team. Many people aren't going to know half the shit you just said. If the logo is reminding them of something else, the logo isn't done properly. This is exactly what they tell us to prevent when making a logo.

When you have the colour schemes (famous red, white, and blue) mixed in with the same pattern (red and white stripes with a blue bar) It resembles too close to the American flag. Just look at this sub. It's living proof. Which means there's a lot of fault in the logo.

People will like it, it's all opinions in the end. But it could've been sooo much more. To be honest, the empty white space bugs me more. I can't believe they did that lol.

Anyway i'm going to end the conversation here. Gotten stale.

6 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I'll be supporting this club, and I'm fine with the crest. What I'm NOT fine with is Mista as coach/GM. I'm leaving now to the AO event at Lansdowne to ask him if he'll be a better coach than he was as a player with TFC.

Edit: Looks like it's actually gaining international traction. Here's the Reuters blurb:

https://asia.eurosport.com/football/mista-named-first-head-coach-of-atletico-ottawa_sto7660792/story.shtml

When they said there was a Canada and Spain connection, I got very worried it was going to be Floro. I have no idea how good Mista is, but I was full of relief knowing it wasn't Floro.

18 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

I'm a graphic designer.... I literally make logos.

You're overthinking this WAY too much or you just like to hear yourself talk, I can't tell anymore. You've forgotten this is a sports logo. It's there to market. It's supposed to advertise a team. Many people aren't going to know half the **** you just said. If the logo is reminding them of something else, the logo isn't done properly. This is exactly what they tell us to prevent when making a logo.

When you have the colour schemes (famous red, white, and blue) mixed in with the same pattern (red and white stripes with a blue bar) It resembles too close to the American flag. Just look at this sub. It's living proof. Which means there's a lot of fault in the logo.

People will like it, it's all opinions in the end. But it could've been sooo much more. To be honest, the empty white space bugs me more. I can't believe they did that lol.

Anyway i'm going to end the conversation here. Gotten stale.

I like it when people argue with the same logic as McCarthyism, it's so vintage.

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I’ve always liked that US logo but it didn’t occur to me when I saw the Atletico logo... now what has been seen can’t be unseen 😞 

No need to toss and turn - typical of American sports orgs - the US will change their crest again. I will say in this decade.