Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

52 minutes ago, grigorio said:

I gather much of this must be Jeff's personality (which surely has served him well!), but the aw shucks folksy vibe of how all of this is unfolding and communicated is a little unexpected given I think most of us assumed much of this would have been figured out long before a public announcement in person with Atletico Madrid. It sounds more like they're setting up a local soccer club than a fully professional team about to be playing in front of thousands (tens of thousands?) of people in a couple of months.

I didn’t assume “much of this would have been figured out long before a public announcement” because once I heard that discussions hadn’t even begun in earnest until after the Fury folded I knew it was going to be tight. 

I think people don’t realize that they couldn’t start setting up the structure of the company until the deal with AM was signed. And then after that the corporation had to be properly and legally set up, which normally takes months. And you can’t start signing players until that’s done. Let alone all the other things that come with it like office space, employees, insurance, etc...

59 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I didn’t assume “much of this would have been figured out long before a public announcement” because once I heard that discussions hadn’t even begun in earnest until after the Fury folded I knew it was going to be tight. 

I think people don’t realize that they couldn’t start setting up the structure of the company until the deal with AM was signed. And then after that the corporation had to be properly and legally set up, which normally takes months. And you can’t start signing players until that’s done. Let alone all the other things that come with it like office space, employees, insurance, etc...

Which makes it even crazier to have targeted April as a realistic kick off date. For the president (or something?) to be talking about securing office space and registering business numbers (vs a massive season ticket/marketing campaign and intense PR tour) a little over a month away from kick off feels cray. I'm sure it'll all be pulled off and we'll hopefully marvel at it all, but they should make a goddamn movie about this. 

Edited by grigorio

On 3/3/2020 at 8:42 AM, sloth8 said:

He would like to announce one player signing per day leading up to training camp on March 11. Hunt hints at 8 players having already been signed.

Nice start, curious to see where they are going to end up roster wise. 

Edit: Missed the Aleman rumours. That would be a really great pick up for anyone in the league. Missing piece for York or another midfielder for Valour if its not Ottawa.

Edited by toontownman

This is basically a copy of the press release on the Fisk signing, with the same error/s (they should specify he played for Deportivo B), but still, I saw it on a headline scrolling down on Mundo Deportivo today, it's a long article considering the audience.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/atletico-madrid/20200305/473976032325/primer-fichaje-del-ottawa-seducido-por-el-atletico.html

22 hours ago, toontownman said:

Nice start, curious to see where they are going to end up roster wise. 

Edit: Missed the Aleman rumours. That would be a really great pick up for anyone in the league. Missing piece for York or another midfielder for Valour if its not Ottawa.

Can't be York now but maybe Valour especially since he worked with Rob Gale in 2011 with the U17 team and Gale has been quite successful in recruiting former youth players.  

Ottawa would be great too though.  Him and Fisk would give them a great foundation that could be around for years.  I do suspect Ottawa because this is eerily similar to the signing of Fisk in that he was linked to a team (FC Edmonton) and then there was silence for an oddly long time - whereas most teams are now training together.  

Edit: And they just announced Coupland!!  What a coup. ;) 

Edited by CanadaFan123

That's great for Coupland and the hopes of the CMNT.  Is he a 2004?  If he is as good as advertised, we should have a pretty good class of 2004s with Marshall -Rutty and Mbongue at TFC, Assis at Impact and this kid as a start.

55 minutes ago, Ivan said:

That's great for Coupland and the hopes of the CMNT.  Is he a 2004?  If he is as good as advertised, we should have a pretty good class of 2004s with Marshall -Rutty and Mbongue at TFC, Assis at Impact and this kid as a start.

He's a 2003.

50 minutes ago, Zem said:

He's a 2003.

Same as Mexican/Canadian Marcelo Flores in the Arsenal youth program. Likely soon able to represent England if he isn't already. 

Next in and apparently not trialling in Valour.

Edited by toontownman

Another article from Mundo Deportivo, the Barcelona sports daily, this time on the Coupland signing. The press they are getting is amazing. Since they have a section on signings, and one of the only teams signing right now at a hot pace is At Ottawa, these stories are featured, I don't even look for them, the pop out at me.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/atletico-madrid/20200306/473982917929/una-perla-de-16-anos-segundo-fichaje-del-atletico-ottawa.html

13 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Pepple is 2002 and Coupland is 2003. 

Thanks, I missed Coupland completely.  Thought they were at 3 now with Fisk, John and Hamilton. 

EDIT: 

Read a few articles now.  I'm going to be cheering for these two guys (Coupland & Pepple) to have successful starts to their careers here.  If they play well and can get moves to higher leagues it'll be a great message for the league to all the kids out there playing now.  CPL is just the starting point.  

Edited by Stouffvillain