Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

4 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Two spanish players to add to the rumour mill:

Nacho Zabal: 33 year old GK playing for CD Calahorra in the Spanish 3rd division.

Viti Martinez: 22 year old central midfielder playing for Gimnastic de Tarragona in the Spanish 3rd Division.

Additional player of interest:

Vashon Neufville: 20 year old English full back who has played youth for West Ham and England U17. (also has one Sky Bet League Two appearance). Possibly a relationship with Malyk Hamilton.

I mentioned Zabal a couple days ago here, the other two elsewhere, and I'm fairly confident about them. Recent instagram follows suggest players getting to know one another within the team / with trialists, and all three have a bunch of links now.

Recently added mutual follows:
Brandon John: Fisk, Gomes, Coupland, Neufville (also follows the team and CPL)
Tevin Shaw: Fisk, Khabra, Bernardinho (also follows the team)
Bernardinho: Fisk, Gomes, Coupland, Dada-Luke, Khabra, Hamilton, Shaw (also follows the team)
Francisco Acuña: Fisk, Gomes, Coupland, Khabra, Djaozandry, Viti, Zabal(also follows the team and CPL)
Victor/Viti Martinez: Fisk, Gomes, Coupland, Zabal, Acuña
Natxo Zabal: Acuña, Viti (also follows the team and is followed by Gomes, though Zabal has not followed him back yet)
Vashon Neufville: Coupland, Hamilton, John

The team has reportedly signed 14 players, there are 7 official and 7 above, so I'm of the opinion that's the 14. Maksym Kowal has also been mentioned but his instagram posts over the past week have all been from Toronto which suggests he was not with the team in Madrid.

On 3/13/2020 at 2:05 AM, Viruk42 said:

one possibility, though it's quite the stretch, stemming from Instagram follows, is Natxo Zabal Almazan, a 33-year-old keeper with CD Calahorra in Spain's third tier - he's a recent mutual follow of Acuña and also follows the team, but he is not following or followed by any official AO players as far as I can tell. Like I said, it's quite the stretch, but who even knows at this point.

Calahorra has a u-19 player from Atlético Madrid, Oscar Castro, it is possible the clubs have some contact. Maybe the guy is mentoring the younger player or something. They do not play in the same 2B group as the AtMadrid B team.

I'd find it odd for them to bring an older keeper, it'd be a waste of an international spot, which I would imagine would be for prospects.

As for the above suggestion of Victor Martínez from Nàstic Tarragona, I am not sure that is accurate, but he does look like a good prospect. 

This would suggest they are scouting players at the level of their B team, but in different 2B divisions than theirs, perhaps to not be accused of poaching inside their own competition.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

No hindsight..Spain had over 500 cases when they left so they should have cancelled it..they knew then that the situation was really bad..plain simple a mistake now moving on..hoping none of them are infected

I agree, they had time to make the decision and were just being blind to reality. By around March 4-5 it should have been clear.

Now it hardly matters as training has stopped, we probably won't have a league until late May as I see it.

Ottawa and any CPL team for that matter at this moment faces the issue of their non- Canada/American players and staff not getting into the country with the new travel ban by the Canadian government today. This would include Mista and anyone else. Lots of moving parts on this issue. 

7 hours ago, Big_M said:

Players and staff going back to Canada..the right decision after the huge mistake of taking them to Spain

https://atleticoottawa.canpl.ca/article/canadian-premier-league-statement-atletico-ottawa-returns-home

Yeah......hard to say no to a sexy trip to Spain for preseason whilst carry a sexy Atletico badge, and for sure any other year it would have been a great opportunity for a bit of exicting media, however, not so much in 2020.  

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

Ottawa and any CPL team for that matter at this moment faces the issue of their non- Canada/American players and staff not getting into the country with the new travel ban by the Canadian government today. This would include Mista and anyone else. Lots of moving parts on this issue. 

They arrived back in Canada this afternoon, so the border closure probably won't affect them much, other than perhaps putting them into some form of isolation

16 hours ago, Big_M said:

No hindsight..Spain had over 500 cases when they left so they should have cancelled it..they knew then that the situation was really bad..plain simple a mistake now moving on..hoping none of them are infected

Lighten up Francis.  Other leagues hadn’t  even cancelled their seasons but Atletico Ottawa was supposed to cancel their preseason?  It’s just plain bad luck .. all these teams can do is the same as any of us. 

27 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Lighten up Francis.  Other leagues hadn’t  even cancelled their seasons but Atletico Ottawa was supposed to cancel their preseason?  It’s just plain bad luck .. all these teams can do is the same as any of us. 

He's right, you are mistaken (as usual on this board). They did not have to cancel the preseason, they simply had to rearrange it. It was not bad luck, it was lack of foresight and frankly irresponsible in health terms. Madrid has had, for the last 2 weeks, over half of all Spanish cases, it is one of the worst cities in the world to be right now in terms of the virus.

The entire premise of training in Spain was to get a sense of the At Madrid spirit, go to games at the Metropolitano, scout their own u-19s and B team in league matches. And all that was already clearly going to be impossible by March 8th at the latest (you are dead wrong, after the March 7th-8th fixtures all later league matches were cancelled).

I was in Madrid on Feb 29-March 1st. Things were still fine, there was talk and a few cases out in a suburb, I was at a trade show, in museums, in crowded restaurants, my hotel. By the 4th or 5th, as I say, the situation had altered drastically and I would not have gone on the 7th-8th, it would have been plain foolish. 

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

Going out on a limb here: no one else has been contacted about season tickets yet, have they? I imagine this has been put on hold until things clear up, but just want to make sure I don't miss anything. 

People have been getting calls today, though it seems more designed to reassure people that the team still exists, hasn't forgotten them, and will be ready when we're allowed to gather again (at least based on what I've mostly learned from twitter and discord - I did get a call, but missed it so just heard the message Greg left)

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

As long as they haven’t slowed down this could be a blessing in disguise for Ottawa.  It seems they already have most guys signed but this will certainly give them time and open a few more doors.

I keep seeing people say this and I completely understand why, but I also firmly reject it.

The delayed start to the 2020 CanPL season, if it happens at all, is a big blow for a league that is just two years old. Sure, Ottawa might be better off relative to the rest of the CPL teams, but what happens if, say, Valour loses too much money with the lack of games that they shutter completely. Or York, or HFX, or whoever.

I get that you're not saying that the delay is overall a positive and I know mine is a pessimistic view, but this could be deadly for such a young league. And anything that is bad for the league is bad for Ottawa.

6 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

I keep seeing people say this and I completely understand why, but I also firmly reject it.

The delayed start to the 2020 CanPL season, if it happens at all, is a big blow for a league that is just two years old. Sure, Ottawa might be better off relative to the rest of the CPL teams, but what happens if, say, Valour loses too much money with the lack of games that they shutter completely. Or York, or HFX, or whoever.

I get that you're not saying that the delay is overall a positive and I know mine is a pessimistic view, but this could be deadly for such a young league. And anything that is bad for the league is bad for Ottawa.

Will Valour and the other clubs be paying staff or adjusting and laying off? Are the players contracts guaranteed in the case of the coronavirus shutdown or will they not get paid? Clubs will be affected but depends on the answers to those and similar questions as to the extent during the temporary shutdown.

Edited by CDNFootballer

15 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Will Valour and the other clubs be paying staff or adjusting and laying off? Are the players contracts guaranteed in the case of the coronavirus shutdown or will they not get paid? Clubs will be affected but depends on the answers to those and similar questions as to the extent during the temporary shutdown.

All good questions.  If this lasts as long as it could go, the league could actually be in serious trouble - just think of WestJet and if they have any spare cash lying around, it won't be sent to the CPL. I’m rather worried about this...if and when we get back to normalcy.

Edited by JamboAl

Yeah I think a slow build to normalcy could be potentially devastating. If restrictions are lifted carte blanche this spring or early summer then the CanPL will likely be fine.

But if restrictions are eased on some activities but not others; with sports being eliminated for the summer....watch out.

4 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Yeah I think a slow build to normalcy could be potentially devastating. If restrictions are lifted carte blanche this spring or early summer then the CanPL will likely be fine.

But if restrictions are eased on some activities but not others; with sports being eliminated for the summer....watch out.

I was listening to a Scottish football podcast and the panelists (mostly ex-professional footballers/managers) believe that the June EURO 2020 qualifier against Israel is unlikely.  I am hoping for an around Canada Day start; anything earlier would be a pleasant surprise, IMO.

I know the CPL and CFL are unique in being all Canadian leagues, wonder if the government will let them start even if say MLS, MLB , NBA etc are not playing due to what is going on in the US. The communal aspect to this makes it hard as I really can not see them allowing large gatherings if their is a chance of spread, even if its quite small at the time. I guess the CPL could if they were allowed could play a chunk of the season at least early on behind closed doors. Even if allowed would they proceed along the route considering financial losses.

51 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I was listening to a Scottish football podcast and the panelists (mostly ex-professional footballers/managers) believe that the June EURO 2020 qualifier against Israel is unlikely.  I am hoping for an around Canada Day start; anything earlier would be a pleasant surprise, IMO.

Echo that.  Was thinking at some point in June, so long as things don't go too badly up here. 

Not sure how the economy rebounds after all this is said and done.  It's not as though bad weather has forced people indoors creating pent up demand for down the road.  Millions of paychecks have disappeared and tens of millions more will be a lot lighter for a while.  Think the entertainment budget in a lot (most) households is shrinking by the hour. 

I agree with Cheeta.

The problem I can see will be twofold:

1.  Entertainment dollars available per household could be limited as families recover from weeks/months of either no or limited wages/salary/EI

2.  With pretty much EVERY sport looking to either catch up or reboot a season there will be way too many options for people to choose from.  CPL might get a bit lost in the shuffle.

GWS