Cuba vs Canada (on Grand Cayman island) Tuesday, Sept 10th - 7:15pm EST

no one seemed to give a shit or be willing to give something a go. Henry's an idiot for getting sent off and putting him out of the USA game. I don't care if we weren't playing six of our best players we should've been able to dominate this game in more than just possession because at the end of the day possession means fuck all if you can't score with it. Overall an extremely disappointing performance against such a weak and depleted team in Cuba.

5 minutes ago, Vancouver Fan said:

No way the U.S. don’t get 6 pts and a plus 7 goals against Cuba. Nothing less than 4 pts for Canada will be enough to get to semis. 

Have you seen the US play in CONCACAF? They are far from impressive either. 

Last WCQ, only 1 win on the road and got beat in Trinidad eliminating them

Playing all those home games does them a disservice in my opinion 

We absolutely dominated them in the Caribbean with a man down and a horrible ref.  I think that it’s job done and we move on.

We were pretty sloppy but this Cuba team also had some bite, which unfortunately went unpunished.  If the ref was honest Cuba would have been a man down rather than us or at least they would have played more cautious.  

Just now, The Ref said:

Those of you who watched the game.  What happened to go from a 6-0 win to barely win 1-0?  Was it Herdman's fault again?

I don’t think so. Cuba played a lot better and with an edge. They were putting in some hard challenges early on. We didn’t have the ability to play a good through ball and just weren’t willing to shoot.  We also changed a lot of the lineup and it seemed they were just feeling each other out. I guess Herdman could of changed things up tactically but it’s harder when Henry makes idiotic decisions 

Well just to be contrary........we did win!!  Thats good!  We got to see if Adegukbe is as good as people having been telling us.  And I dont think anyone got injured.  And I though ala peanut butter sandwhiched we were going to throw in the towel and lose 2-1 after the red, but they held it together and gritted out the win.  We've seen way worse.  

1 minute ago, Weng said:

I don’t think so. Cuba played a lot better and with an edge. They were putting in some hard challenges early on. We didn’t have the ability to play a good through ball and just weren’t willing to shoot.  We also changed a lot of the lineup and it seemed they were just feeling each other out. I guess Herdman could of changed things up tactically but it’s harder when Henry makes idiotic decisions 

They also just straight up parked the bus and did it very well. The red card didn't help either.

In the old days we would have blown this game and came away with a draw. Not pretty but a result with a rotated squad. Now gives us a chance against the us to top the group. 

On a  personal note thought Liam did well when he came on professional performance kept the ball added a bit of spark. It show he has the confidence of the manager to come on in the last 15 down a man at 19... hes heading back home in the morning Hibs on the weekend lol.. bed now 430 work at 7...

Edited by spitfire

I think we move on from here.  Henry getting a 2nd yellow is very disappointing as he’s now going to sit next game.

Cornielus and Laryea have solidified themselves as first choice CB and RB in my opinion.  Laryea was a breath of fresh air.

LB is going to be a challenge.  I think Davies or Kaye may have to go there vs the US as much as that’s sub optimal.

5 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

I think we were forced into subbing a CB on when Doneil went off and Juan was probably the odd man out 

He could have pushed Laryea forward and put on Cordova for Davies instead of Millar, but definitely the red card changed things. 

I quite enjoyed the unintentionally hilarious suggestion from Tony Meola that Canada needs to learn from this experience in the future the next time we go down to 10 men and the team that we are beating at the time decides to bunker with a man up and a goal down in the game........that is of course a common occurrence that teams face all the time.

Borjan - not much to do.  Nothing wrong, but not enough to warrant huge praise.

Laryea - looked fairly solid all game IMO.  

Vitoria - kind of like Borjan, not a ton of tough challenges. Did what he needed tho.

Henry - goddamn idiot. On a (deserved) yellow, shut you goddamn mouth.

Adekugbe - wasn't too impressive for me.  Got beat a couple of times, but not terrible.  Better as the game went on.

Johnson - to be fair, a solid effort in my books.  Helped keep control of the midfield.

Kaye - seemed to struggle exerting his influence like we know he can but still was decent.  A fairly middling performance, but got the job done.

David - not anything like the impac he had last game.  Proves why he needs to be played centrally rather than beating people on the wings.  Expected more from him.

Davies - got the game winner so that is huge, but had a pretty sleepy game other than that.  Too many misplaced passes.  A guy with this talent needs to have more influence for his whole time on the pitch.  

Larin - proves again why he isn't a starter.  I know people are hoping he finds his groove for Canada (I am one of them) but this can no longer happen with the CMNT.  Start banging them in at the club and then earn your spot back.  With Cav and David, Larin shouldn't see the pitch without significant improvement.

Millar - provided a spark as soon as he got on.  Seems energetic and hungry in a way that I didn't see from some of the other guys.

The amount of times we make the arrogant excuse of “the pitch was poor down here in the Caribbean” when what we really mean is “we lack the creativity and decisiveness to make good decisions and plays around the goal”. Smh. Unfortunately Herdman’s inherited that trait full bore with half his press conference dedicated to the pitch excuse. 

14 minutes ago, Big_M said:

adekugbe very weak..showed why hes not and shouldnt be the #1 left back

Exactly, but we already knew this.  Its not like he'd go to Norway and change his DNA.  We needed to see Cordova, perhaps Henry's red also messed up that opportunity.  Really unfortunate.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

I quite enjoyed the unintentionally hilarious suggestion from Tony Meola that Canada needs to learn from this experience in the future the next time we go down to 10 men and the team that we are beating at the time decides to bunker with a man up and a goal down in the game........that is of course a common occurrence that teams face all the time.

I think he said that we need to learn to break down a bunkering defense because there's a chance the US might get a man sent off, then pack men behind the ball.