Cuba vs Canada (on Grand Cayman island) Tuesday, Sept 10th - 7:15pm EST

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Those 3 are good rotation guys against minnows or meaningless games.

Depth players if needed. A few years back we would have called those 3 our saviours. We can't complain being able to rely on them if needed

But what drives me nuts the most is how we got another look at Adekugbe, Johnson and Wotherspoon, but no looks at Cordova.

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

But what drives me nuts the most is how we got another look at Adekugbe, Johnson and Wotherspoon, but no looks at Cordova.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

It almost makes me wonder if Herdman doesn’t see him in the mix.  Hard to otherwise explain why he got 0 minutes   

There could be biais against his size...

Cordova will get his chance but not against the USA. I think he would have played tonight if Henry didn't go "Ultimate Warrior" on the ref

Re: Cordova: isn’t the most logical answer that Herdman’s seem him in practice and doesn’t think he’s earned it? I haven’t watched him play so I’m not sure if he’s worthy but seeing as ZBG, Godinho and now Laryea have all played over him it makes me believe he is closer to 4th on the depth chart than 1st.

Has anyone actually seen him play this season with his club?

turning 37 and with injuries hutchinson is most likely done with the national team..cornelius too inexperienced and too many mistakes..will be a a good challenge for herdman to look at style of play, playing time in club...and come up with best back line to face usa..mls regular season ending early october so will be interesting to see whats the plan to keep the players who dont make playoffs in high condition

I don't think we would have seen Cordova tonight, regardless of the red card. Appears Herdman has made his mind up at RB at least for the US matches.

Tesho was likely the one that got burned from Henry's red. Pretty unfortunate, I thought Tesho coming on the final 25 mins for Larin would have been great. Tesho is a big body for crosses and he has lots to prove.  I think he would have really gave it a go for us the final 1/3, just like Liam did.

Henry owes Tesho a drink, better yet, Henry owes the entire squad a drink. Pretty sure the ref (who was awful), didn't realize he already booked him, but CONCACAF always gonna CONCACAF. Henry should know better, especially already sitting on a yellow.

I was worried we would collapse after the red card, we didn't. Yes, part of that was Cuba parking the bus and not trying to attack, but whatever, take the W and be grateful we didn't choke and slip on the banana peel, like Panama and El Salvador just did. 

Edited by apbsmith

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Re: Cordova: isn’t the most logical answer that Herdman’s seem him in practice and doesn’t think he’s earned it? I haven’t watched him play so I’m not sure if he’s worthy but seeing as ZBG, Godinho and now Laryea have all played over him it makes me believe he is closer to 4th on the depth chart than 1st.

Has anyone actually seen him play this season with his club?

We have to assume that the coaching staff watches his games in Chile. We don't know where he ranks but he was called ahead of ZBG after all.

He's been on his league best XI a few times so I think he's capable. I still maintain that Henry going "crazy" tonight prevented Herdman to try him out... unfortunately 

Against the US, there's no room for experimenting, he will go with what he knows works

Two points:

1)

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Oso in for Weatherspoon. I appreciate Spoony’s willingness to play for Canada but he’s so far down the depth chart.

Spoony looked very rusty (pun intended) but remember he hasn't played football since July when he got injured. I was surprised he got the call! 

He was physically and mentally not at 100% and you need to be at 100% to play in that 30°C heat and humidity on a crappy pitch away in CONCACAF. You can't expect a guy used to Scottish weather and pitches to build any rhythm and get back into it like that. If a guy hasn't played for over a month and a half due to injury and he isn't a core player - don't call him.

A Spoony in good form is worth a call - especially for a home game in Canadian weather.

2)

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not sure why we wouldn't sub Cordova on.

A. because Richie Laryea was doing good work at right-back we were lacking in attack - not in defense.

B. The Henry red card forced us to make key subs we wouldn't have had to otherwise - Cornelius on for Larin.

Cordova would have been a great option if we had been winning by 3 goals.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

10 minutes ago, Weng said:

How about that Mexican game eh?

They are beatable if you press their defense and force them into making mistakes. It's just that most of CONCACAF are terrified to do it which leave them open for their counter attack... CONMEBOL and UEFA arent scared one bit.

Pulisic even said the US are playing scared whenever they face Mexico.

I remember when we made all our subs against Mexico at the 60th minute in the Gold Cup...we pressed...they made mistakes. 

That was my takeaway, our A Team in the last 30 minutes was fearless 

Edited by Ansem

52 minutes ago, costarg said:

Its funny, seems like everyone forgot Wotherspoon actually played in this match! 

2 things stand out most:

- 15 minutes in we noticed the Cubans made the Canadians afraid to touch the ball for too long or they'd get hacked.  It worked!  

- Wotherspoon, Johnson and Larin were squeaky wheels and unbalanced the whole team.  It was like watching a sports car with a spare tire on.  Johnson got better, but he still doesn't belong.  He works hard, but he's just in the way and going the wrong direction.  He was ok for CANMNT in 2014, but not now.

No matter who was in there tonight the car was probably going to be running rough.  On the road, heat, long grass, bunkering opposition etc.  Herdman took the the sportscar out in Toronto on the black top to show off to the neighbors.  Tonight it was off roading and he needed his old pickup, something he could grind the gears on.  When i saw WOtherspoon and Johnson i though well at least we wont get intimidated in midfield (meh?).  We didnt hit any top speeds or anything, but we also didnt get stuck in the ruts.  On to the next race!!  

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Have you seen the US play in CONCACAF? They are far from impressive either. 

Last WCQ, only 1 win on the road and got beat in Trinidad eliminating them

Playing all those home games does them a disservice in my opinion 

Actually I have seen the U.S. play in CONCACAF and although they haven't been great I still stand by my statement. Americans are good at running the score up on minnows whether we're talking men or ladies teams. 

8 minutes ago, Vancouver Fan said:

Actually I have seen the U.S. play in CONCACAF and although they haven't been great I still stand by my statement. Americans are good at running the score up on minnows whether we're talking men or ladies teams. 

They are...except in CONCACAF for the men. Not that they arent capable...they aren't used to play there except WCQ when they have too.

Results show that playing all those games & Gold Cup at home could be impacting them negatively.

They should welcome the chance to play the Gold Cup away. Last time they played us at BMO, it ended 0-0 and we sucked back then while they were in their prime.

Edited by Ansem

43 minutes ago, Big_M said:

turning 37 and with injuries hutchinson is most likely done with the national team..cornelius too inexperienced and too many mistakes..will be a a good challenge for herdman to look at style of play, playing time in club...and come up with best back line to face usa..mls regular season ending early october so will be interesting to see whats the plan to keep the players who dont make playoffs in high condition

Navy seal beach training of course.