Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Olympique_de_Marseille

Cuba vs Canada (on Grand Cayman island) Tuesday, Sept 10th - 7:15pm EST

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Might as well start a thread for this game since people keep posting their projected starting 11.

http://www.twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1170799742806183936

 

The notes are worth printing in text form here, I think:

SQUAD UPDATES James Pantemis has joined #CANMNT for the away Concacaf Nations League match in Cayman Islands on 10 September. Maxime Crépeau & Russell Teibert (day-to-day) have returned to Whitecaps FC while Junior Hoilett has returned to England (family

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Reign said:

Hmm... if the plan was to start crepeau, I wonder if there is any chance we see Carducci. I doubt it, but I personally think he would do fine. 

I agree that it's unlikely but as a Cavalry supporter I would be stoked if he did get the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nolando said:

SQUAD UPDATES James Pantemis has joined #CANMNT for the away Concacaf Nations League match in Cayman Islands on 10 September. Maxime Crépeau & Russell Teibert (day-to-day) have returned to Whitecaps FC while Junior Hoilett has returned to England (family

 

Or a game Friday night.  Does this mean Colin still cares about him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, badname22 said:

Would’ve loved to have a winger replace hoilett even if it is just to sit on the bench,.

So we lose two outfield players and one keeper and call just a keeper? 

If Pantemis was coming from MTL could they not have brought another impact player? They obviously knew Hoilett was being dropped for the Friday club match... does he even have family in England? Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we're supposed to be holding "auditions" for the games against the US, I'm expecting to see this:

-----------------------David

Davies------------Osorio-------Millar

----------------Piette-------Kaye

Adekugbe-----Vitoria-----Cornelius-----Cordova

---------------------------Carducci

  • LB-We have to give Adekugbe 90 minutes, I'm convinced he's our #1 LB. Let's not forget that Cordova can play LB as well
  • CB-Cornelius was dominant, he's definitely a starter for us, he could play at a higher level in my opinion
  • CB-We need to solve the Vitoria/Henry for the US game. We need a CB who won't make "catastrophic" mistakes and keep it simple for 90 minutes. Henry is good but I'm now convinced he can't stay focused for 90 minutes. We either split his time or see if Vitoria can do it for 90 min...he's been doing it in Liga NOS so far, which is higher level than Henry in MLS
  • RB-I think we have depth here and it's time to give Cordova a good 60 minutes while comparing Laryea to his game

*Subs

  1. Larin for David
  2. Miller for Vitoria
  3. Laryea for Cordova --> Want to compare their game
Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like most of your reasoning.  But Hoilett is back in England. Should be some rotation and this is our chance to play some different defenders.  Up front maybe a couple of tweaks but we need to put a touchdown up on them so nothing major.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we're +6 on goal differential, I think having a double digit goal differential after our home and away with Cuba would be a nice goal to set. I'll take 4-0 as that would get us to +10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Like most of your reasoning.  But Hoilett is back in England. Should be some rotation and this is our chance to play some different defenders.  Up front maybe a couple of tweaks but we need to put a touchdown up on them so nothing major.

Fixed it! Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good opportunity for Tesho & Liam with no junior to have a serious go.

Thanks for sharing that pitch @CanadaFan123 nice to play on a field where we can show our skills and avoid pot holes and/or a bouncing ping pong ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really liked the 4-2-3-1 the boss rolled out Saturday.

I think this is and should be our primary formation rolling forward this cycle. 

I know it's only Cuba but it's nice to see that adjustments were made.  The 2 DM pairing really gives us that much needed support to our backline.

Tomorrow, I'd like Borjan and the squad to get another clean sheet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Since we're supposed to be holding "auditions" for the games against the US, I'm expecting to see this:

-----------------------David

Davies------------Osorio-------Millar

----------------Piette-------Kaye

Adekugbe-----Vitoria-----Cornelius-----Cordova

---------------------------Carducci

  • LB-We have to give Adekugbe 90 minutes, I'm convinced he's our #1 LB. Let's not forget that Cordova can play LB as well
  • CB-Cornelius was dominant, he's definitely a starter for us, he could play at a higher level in my opinion
  • CB-We need to solve the Vitoria/Henry for the US game. We need a CB who won't make "catastrophic" mistakes and keep it simple for 90 minutes. Henry is good but I'm now convinced he can't stay focused for 90 minutes. We either split his time or see if Vitoria can do it for 90 min...he's been doing it in Liga NOS so far, which is higher level than Henry in MLS
  • RB-I think we have depth here and it's time to give Cordova a good 60 minutes while comparing Laryea to his game

*Subs

  1. Larin for David
  2. Miller for Vitoria
  3. Laryea for Cordova --> Want to compare their game

You make good points.  4-2-3-1 definitely suits us better than 4-3-3.  2 DM help our weak back line.

The other thing is goal differential matters here, so again, not the best time for complete squad rotation.  Not sure Larin is the guy I want in there when we know we need 6 more goals.     

However, there is one issue with the squad rotation, I do want to see what Adekugbe, Cordova, Laryea, Vitoria, etc... can bring, but there is something to be said for continuity.  We're playing the USA next, so the more time the expected starters play together the better off we'll be.  Next matches are hugely important.  Right now, i don't feel we really know what our back line will resemble.  So many options.  Laryea seems to have cemented RB, which leaves: Cordova, Adekugbe and Miller for LB.  We know what Adekugbe brings, we've seen it.  Miller has good strong potential, buts he's got limited experience.  Cordova is the only one that could really surprise or disappoint us.  I think we need to see him out there.  I would go with:

Cordova - Henry - Vitoria - Laryea

My biggest concern is Pulisic.  He can play on the left or right.  Any decent coach will know our main issue is at LB.  If I'm USA, i'm putting Pulisic up against our LB 100 times out of 100.

Its late in the process, but perhaps we need to start considering a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 to help out the back vs USA? 

------------David - Cavallini

Davies - Kaye - Piette - Arfield - Laryea

-------Cornelius - Henry - Vitoria

or

-----Hoilett - Cavallini - David

Davies - Kaye - Arfield - Laryea

-----Cornelius - Henry - Vitoria

Edited by costarg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our fullbacks often bomb down the pitch and Piette drops back to CB when this happens. When this happens it kind of automatically morphs itself into a 3 at the back.

We looked capable at times vs Mexico in the 3-4-3, but we lined up that way because Mexico loves playing wide. That's prolly one of the best formations to counter a team that loves wide play, as it often looks like 6-7 at the back when under pressure. 

For me, and I'm just an armchair GM, I like starting with 4 at the back for almost all our CONCACAF opposition.  

I'd like us to stick with the 4-2-3-1, think it's a good way to lineup vs USA also. 

Also, Laryea looked great, and it was awesome to see, but I wouldn't call his RB spot locked up. Away in CONCACAF is a different beast compared to at home vs Cuba who tried to keep 11 behind the ball for what seemed like almost the entire game.

Edited by apbsmith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has there been any confirmation of Davies? He picked up a small knock at end of last game.

Would like to see a full game of of Millar for sure, and hope David gets big minutes again, so he can get closer to the all time record (I want to see him break it before he turns 21)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda want to see Millar get the start in this one too. He's come off the bench for us many times now, let's see what he can do from the beginning.

Not sure I would risk Alphonso if he is even the slightest bit injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Davies-------------David------------Akindele

----------Osorio-------------Wotherspoon

------------------------Piette

Adekugbe----------------------------Cordova

------------Cornelius-----Vitoria

-----------------------Borjan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...