Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Jamaica looks good as I expected. Goals still seem difficult for Suriname, but they are good at controlling the ball. Would rather play them or Costa Rica than Jamaica, no question. Also, Cordova-Reid is as advertised. Good player.

47 minutes ago, Shway said:

Gerry “pardon me I mistake Gerba for Ricketts” Dobson 🤣.

Honestly I get the Wheeler hate, it does get annoying at times…for me, I think he’s “trying something” in the likes of Ray Hudson, and not  going the typical Dobson, Rauter takes.

Whenever I hear Rauter I think the Olympics or curling tbh. I don’t like his voice for soccer.…..but do you see what we are complaining about. 

The mute button works for everybody.😁

Some here and lot of twitter harp about getting casuals interested. Then Wheeler is your man a la Ray Hudson.

Broadcasters like Dobson are competent but nobody is hyperventilating on either side about him.

Wheeler got good play on the cable sports nets about the Duverger own goal. This is where is his calling it like a fan was a plus as it showed a range of pure raw emotions from horror to empathy. Then Dunfield came in a like a wet blanket.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I'm surprised you weren't aware he played for the Western Mustangs. I know he doesn't quite mention it twice a half like he used to, but it still comes up quite often...

I have no clue how I didn't know this about Wheels already. As someone who shares the same Alma Mater, I will make it my duty to defend him from the OneSoccer critics.

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Jamaica wins 2-0. Definitely were the better side. Suriname looked ok but they just don’t create good chances against organized sides. I think it will be a similar story for them against Costa Rica.

suriname are somewhere between Haiti and TNT imo

I read that as WE'RE the better side. Probably because I came in to joke that we are clearly 2 goals better than Jamaica :)

In all seriousness, I should probably reserve judgement until I see Costa Rica play, but based on what I saw last window and tonight Jamaica are my favorite for this group. 

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Shway said:

They are strong.

Watching this game, and I’m asking myself would we have be dominant against Suriname without Davies? I don’t think so. 

Whereas my thoughts upon watching the first half (I gave up for most of the 2nd) are that we would have been more dominant from the off against Surinam if Herdman hadn’t made the team unnecessarily nervous with all that “Top 6 in Concacaf” nonsense talk. From what I have seen now in two matches I am not sure they are even top 6 among Caribbean teams in the region (assuming that they are considered as such even though they are in South America). Certainly I would  rank Jamaica, Haiti, T&T, and Curacao above them while the jury is still out on where they rank against  Cuba or some of the non-FIFA teams. That they are using this Nigel Hasselbaink who looks like he could be outrun by Spinazzola while on crutches and eating a Twinkie (stolen from Hasselbainks’ private stash of them) says to me that while they’re program has come a long way, it’s still a long way off the top tier of the region. I will be shocked if they get a win against the Ticos

Edited by Gian-Luca

I was noticing Guadeloupe has a player named Morgan Saint-Maximan. I looked up Allan Saint-Maximan and he is of Gaudeloupean and French Guianese descent.   I’m curious that since he has never been cap tied by the senior team in France if he’d consider joining them for the next Gold Cup.   Be neat to see more of these smaller Caribbean teams get more firepower and competitive.

2 hours ago, Weng said:

I was noticing Guadeloupe has a player named Morgan Saint-Maximan. I looked up Allan Saint-Maximan and he is of Gaudeloupean and French Guianese descent.   I’m curious that since he has never been cap tied by the senior team in France if he’d consider joining them for the next Gold Cup.   Be neat to see more of these smaller Caribbean teams get more firepower and competitive.

I saw that too, and wondered if they were related.
But no way these guys are joining, not without the added cookie of saying we can try to qualify for the World Cup…

On that note, it should be interesting when the WC goes to 48 teams by 2026.

Edited by Shway

42 minutes ago, Weng said:

I was just having similar thoughts. It’s kinda cool having our region a little stronger (Suriname, Haiti, Curaçao, Jamaica stacking up talent, etc). I’m actually paying attention to other teams for the first time (other than US, Mexico) and although it’s direct competition for our beloved Canada, it does make our region a little more interesting and dynamic.

Edited by cronaldo7

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Classic Canadian social justice warrior "there is no middle ground", "In Canada we'd never" and then discriminate them behind their backs with a smile on my face. 

It is pretty presumptuous of you to assume that the people against the chant are quietly discriminating against “them” (whoever “they” are in this case) behind their backs or are silently hypocritical as claimed earlier.   Do you think there are a bunch of closet homophobes who are trying to fool people by opposing the chant?  

30 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is pretty presumptuous of you to assume that the people against the chant are quietly discriminating against “them” (whoever “they” are in this case) behind their backs or are silently hypocritical as claimed earlier.   Do you think there are a bunch of closet homophobes who are trying to fool people by opposing the chant?  

I was referring to the belief in Canada that Mexicans are inferior. Because none of you really believe they're not, that's the real point. 

Shouting "puto" to a goal kick is far tamer than what was heard at Swangard in the day. 

It's like the English complaining about some racist chant in Bulgaria when the entire EPL should be played behind closed doors if the criteria were consistent. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was referring to the belief in Canada that Mexicans are inferior. Because none of you really believe they're not, that's the real point. 

Are you Canadian or not?

Because whenever there's an opportunity to look down your nose at Canadians you seem all too eager to jump on it and separate yourself from the rest of us. This isn't even an isolated incident as it's been going on since the Network54 days. 

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's like the English complaining about some racist chant in Bulgaria when the entire EPL should be played behind closed doors if the criteria were consistent. 

Mate, sorry. But you do love a generalization of those you oppose and are highly ignorant of.  The "English" who complain about Bulgaria are not the same "English" who get done for using the "y-word" or singing "We can see you holding hands" at Brighton (To which Brighton sing back "You're too ugly to be gay".)

And decent (most) people in Canada and England and elsewhere don't think that "Mexicans" are one amorphous blob, so they aren't all inferior or superior or even in between -  because in this great world of ours most of us know a Mexican person or two or many. And like everybody else they are good, bad and everything else. 

46 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Shouting "puto" to a goal kick is far tamer than what was heard at Swangard in the day. 

Thanks for clarifying that every single person here is apparently racist.  You are a fountain of wisdom.  

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

they'll shout "guapo" and it'll be fundamentally more insulting but untouchable. 

Interesting. Is that a Spanish thing or all over Latin America? A quick Google search on my part was not that enlightening.

Next you're going to tell me that "hermoso" and "lindo" and "bello" are all secretly insulting too? 🙄

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Interesting tidbit about the Mexico game.  Apparently the stoppages weren’t about the chant we are all familiar with - it sounds like there were a lot of racist things being shouted as well. 

https://newsday.co.tt/2021/07/13/ttfa-concacaf-condemn-racist-attacks-on-tt-team/?fbclid=IwAR3gXr3upG9Y1nNJ-wxE0sGbzm1fBnRJtoBi1WDfROEPyEuYGS3A-O-QI8c

The Mexico federation may find itself in a bit more trouble fairly soon.   I could see FIFA trying to make a bit of an example of them if they persist in behaviour they have been warned about repeatedly.